Pride of America Review - Nov 25th cruise

TRun

So many people helped me with my first trip to Hawaii, here is my trip review…hope it helps someone as much as everyone helped me.

Pre-Cruise

We stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village – arriving on Thanksgiving, Rented a car with Budget – very nice hotel, beach access is great, and lots of extra things to do – beds are super comfortable. Dining is a bit expensive, but alternatives outside the hotel.

On Oahu, we toured Pearl Harbor, arriving about 730am and were on the second boat over. Very good experience for the first time visitor. Later that day we went to Sea Life Park before our Luau there. Park is very below average compared to a Sea World experience…might be better if we had little kids. Luau was fine, small group of people with a dolphin show and a few extra touches.

We went to the North Shore to watch the surfing competition which was fun, before boarding the ship.

Boarding was quick and easy, boarded about 2ish. We had an Owners Suite, room 10502. That night we had a quick bite to eat at the Diner- food wasn’t very good, service was good.

First Port – Maui – rented a car with Budget, went out on a whale trip but didn’t see any whales – received a coupon for a free trip in the next year if we choose. Also, did the Maui Ocean Center which we enjoyed, good variety there. That night we ate dinner at the Steakhouse – a must on the cruise ship – very good – Galen was our waiter who we enjoyed twice during the cruise.

Day 2 in Maui – went out on a snorkeling trip to the crater, we enjoyed that very much, they made one other stop near Lanai, not as enjoyable, I would like to go longer at the crater if I do this again. Dinner that night in the main dining room, service was slow, food average at best, server was very friendly though.

Day 3 in Kona – Rented a car with Dollar at the hotel by port - another snorkeling trip – small group of only 13 on a big boat – was great – we made 3 stops I believe, various sites, all great, food and crew were outstanding. Dinner that night at Little Italy – decent – not outstanding but good – service was good.

Day 4 in Kona – one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had, we charted a boat and went out swimming with the dolphins – just great – I have done Discovery Cove in FL, but it doesn’t ever compare to swimming with them in the wild – we swam with about 50-70, most in groups of 3-10. We were in and out of the water 4 times for a total of about 1.5-2 hours, maybe shorter, it seemed like a good amount of time. The captain had a swimming instructor in the water with us. Was truly a great experience. Dinner at Teppanyaki – good – food decent – steakhouse better.

Day 5 in Kauai – rented a car with Budget – Went driving around, and drove up to go ziplining – great choice – 8 zips – nervous at first, but after about 3, they were lots of fun, good instructors. Dinner at the steakhouse again – once again – outstanding.

Day 6 in Kauai – drove to the falls and the Canyon, back on ship for the sailing of the coast, ate dinner in the room – Little Italy. Entered the talent show, didn’t win, but was fun – guy who won was really good, did the blues with a harmonica.

Day 7 – off the boat – went to the swap meet at the stadium, another Budget car, this is the place to buy stuff – great prices – lots of choices. That night went to the game (Hawaii vs Oregon State) – great time !

Day 8 – just relaxed and took in the beach before late night flight home – booked the room that night, so we didn’t have to worry about checking out.

Overall – good trip – cant wait to do it again – will do POA again – I like the ship, services I thought was very friendly, our Butler was good, we used him for Breakfast every morning. Never really dealt much with our Concierge. Downfall was the food, except for the Steakhouse…Service I really did think was decent, yes a bit different than you find on most ships, but people really seemed to be trying to make people happy. We did see many get bent out of shape on little things or wait times, but I hope most don’t let things like that ruin their vacation. We plan on going back again next year, in fact just booked today for the same time.

I will be glad to let you know what companies I used and answer as many questions as I can – Once again thanks to all who helped me decide what to do for my first Hawaii trip, I hope this helps someone as well.

Thanks for taking the time to post your review. I did the same thing when I returned because I found the reviews so helpful before going that I wanted to give back.

Sorry you didn't like the food on POAM. I thought it was great. What didn't you like in the Cadillac Diner? After all, it's mostly burgers and stuff. I really enjoyed the burger I had in there.

actually the hamburger was the best part - spinach dip not that great, the onion rings looked like the baked kind from home, not what i expected from the diner, the garlic fries were old and then they put the galic stuff on them, so it ruined the fries - Im sure i could have asked for new ones and they would have done it -

Overall the food i felt could have been better - some things - esp the steakhouse were very good but everything else was rather normal and not above average in my oppinion.

Bottom line , I liked the cruise line enough to book it again already for next year - same ship - its a great way to see the Islands and I wasnt sold on just one island , there are things I would like to do again or things I missed on each island

I know what you mean. There were things I missed too that I would love to see. If only Hawaii wasn't so far away. The Caribbean is so much easier for me to do.

While the dining room food might have not exceeded the norm for cruise line food I thought it was still good and carried a Hawaiian island theme to some extent. For me the focus was on Hawaii and I wasn't expecting gourment dining every night but I thought the food was more than adequate. I thought the buffet was above average for most cruise ships I've been on, inasmuch as I never had to wait in line (even the omelet stations moved) and I loved how they had the same items in several places so that they were accessable without the wait. Also loved the fresh fruit which was always available, as well as the many dining options.

Sure

We went on the Hula Kai - from Fairwinds in Kona for snokeling -- the dolphin charter was with Shogun Charters - konaseasports.com

Pacific Whale Foundation took us out whale watching and we did their snokel the next day in Maui.

Ziplining we went with Priceville Ranch - 8 zips and a bridge -- very good - fun - safe - i had never done anything like that but it really was a good amount of fun

• 4 weeks later...

sorry for the delay -- i cant remember exactly but think the butler around 150 and the conceirge around 50 or so - really didnt use him - butler we used for breakfast every morning.

You will tendor in Kona - dock out and take the life boat into shore --

you will love the room - we did - it was great - im booked again for this Thanksgiving but just a balc at this time

Enjoy

Archived