How are the seas?

MAF23

Just wondering how the seas are this time of year. We are going on the Pearl on 12/18 out of Miami and curious how the waters usually are this time of year. I have never really heard. Always been warned of the summer time and rough waters from storms, but no one has ever said anything about the winter. I have also been warned that the waters are normally rough once you hit the bottom of Florida. Is this the case that any of you have found? Making myself nervous about possible rough waters. I don't get motion sickness easily, but the thought of others sick around me is enough to make me queasy.

We've cruised in December and January, and we've never been in real rough waters. There have been a couple days that were rockier than others, but I never saw anyone actually get seasick. I'm sure you'll have a great ride.;) Keep the ship in good order for us and please post a review when you return.

We just got off the Jewel, out of MIA, on Sunday (3rd) and most days were considered 'rough' seas. I think we maybe had one 'moderate' day. I didnt see too many troubled by the motion although ... we did have one very rough night coming out of St Thomas and the dining rooms were pretty empty. The Captain did warn us as we left Port that the seas would get rough. I was a tad nervous, but we faired ok!

A crew member had explained that a succession of high pressure systems(equals nice weather) can create choppy seas. We also had alot of wind, which didn't help the wave action.

I used the sea wrist bands, and I'm not sure the worked but ... I was afraid to take them off just in case they were working! Power of suggestion! :)

Just wondering how the seas are this time of year. We are going on the Pearl on 12/18 out of Miami and curious how the waters usually are this time of year. I have never really heard. Always been warned of the summer time and rough waters from storms, but no one has ever said anything about the winter. I have also been warned that the waters are normally rough once you hit the bottom of Florida. Is this the case that any of you have found? Making myself nervous about possible rough waters. I don't get motion sickness easily, but the thought of others sick around me is enough to make me queasy.

Yes it is called The Florida Straits and it can get rough. Take your meds right before you get on the ship and you will be fine:)

The Florida Straits are a tad choppy - depends on the wind etc.. I used the Bonine - tried the ginger pills (didn't stay with me long) but the Bonine really helped - First full day out I was thoroughly inspecting the inside of the head. :o But the waves were between 18-20FT at that point. Take the meds, drink gingerale, and try to get some fresh air. That's what the concierge advised, and it worked (or maybe it was the pills) But I'm still heading back this year - and out of NY no less. Drugs can be useful at times. Hopefully you won't have what our lovely Captain referred to as

"Liquid Sunshine" for the port forecasts. Nice way of letting us know it was going to rain again. Margaruitas helped that problem!! :cool:

Archived