Oosterdam internet access

nabby

I know, I shouldn't even be thinking about taking my work on vacation with me, but...

I will be gone over a month end, which leaves my co-workers to handle all of the month end computer reports and programs (something I always do). For peace of mind, I am leaning toward bringing my laptop. I am set up for access to my company's computer via a VPN setup.

I understand that the "O" has wi-fi access and you can purchase bundles of minutes. I also understand that the server speed is much slower than broadband. My question is: does the ship's wi-fi connection stay pretty stable? If I am using a VPN connection I need to have a constant internet connection. For those of you who have used the wi-fi on the "O" - do you get disconnected quite often? It the service is not reliable then I might as well leave my laptop at home. The speed of the connection is not so important, it is the stablilty that I am interested in.

I never got disconnected (until my package minutes ran out), but there is a connection window that kept trying to load instead of the page I wanted. This may be due to the fact I was on a Mac running Safari as my browser, which really does block popup windows. Once you log on, there is a popup window that is launched for you to log out with. When that is not available, you simply type in the url address of 1.1.1.1 and that will log you out. I think the reason I did not have the logout popup active is the reason the connection page kept trying to load instead of the page I wanted to surf to (like CC.) I could have easily disabled the popup blocker, but I wasn't going to be on very long to bother, I'd just reclick on the link and it would load. I never lost the connection, but again, I may have been on maybe 20min at the most at any one time. There was also a data port in our cabin - but this might just be a suite thing - hopefully someone else can say if there is one in all cabins.

Now I wish I had disabled the blocker so I could answer this better...

:o

All Vista ship have dial-up in all cabins ... but when we were on the Noordam they were having a billing s/w problem, so to use dialup from the cabin would have cost $13/min !!

No disconnections on Norrdam or Westerdam.

I don't remember ever getting a dropped signal on the O'dam - once I got connected. There can be an occasional problem with the satellite (I think it occured once in 7 days). But bringing the laptop, chilling out in the Crow's Nest while working, sure beats my office here!

Nabby - I had my laptop on the Oosterdam 11/25 cruise, and had no problems w/the wifi. It was somewhat slow, it seems especially so as your package minutes are ticking down to the end.... but I never lost a connection. I logged on at least every day, if not twice a day. My fav spot was in the Library. Hope that helps!

Have a great cruise - and don't spend too much time working!

Maryann

Archived