Pride and the Long Beach Grand Prix!

Hangman

Ok guys I am not sure if this is a warning or a time to have fun post? But now I know why my roll call for April 15 is not getting any hits. Seem the Long Beach Grand Prix is that weekend http://www.longbeachgp.com/ and giving credit where credit is due as I was told by CruiswnwithChris1 that the Grand Prix was that weekend and it get really bad to get around during that weekend. I think that is why a lot of people are not going that weekend. So you can go and see the grand prix then go on a crusie (good) for those that like things like that. (BAD) deal with all the traffic and people trying and find the roads that are open and get to the ship in once peice with no tickets. If this is a bad thing and no one wants to fight the traffic my family and I might be the only one's on the ship and have it all to our selfs (yea right), but I hope this helps anyone that is planing to take the Pride cruise that weekend. For those of us that are going to do the cruise be safe and don't let the traffic scare you away and hope to see you on board and as we are on board looking over the side of the Pride we can have a nice drink and be thankful we are leaving all of that for 7 days. So see all of you on board and I will be the one with the drink in my had smiling as we sail away looking at all the people trying to get home.:)

My sister and I were on the Pride the same weekend as the Grand Prix two years ago and had no problems at all. More crowds, but not that big of a deal. We stayed on the Queen Mary. You can check in there and then they have a shuttle that will drop you off right at the pier. Very easy. We ate at PF Changs which was in the middle of the cordoned off area, but went to one of the side entrances where the security guard was a little younger than some and talked our way in without tickets. Just told him we had reservations at PF Changs.

SPENC thanks now I did have one more question does carnival have it's own parking area that I can leave my car or do I have to find a different area to park that I migh need a lot of luck to find? Thank for you help.

SPENC thanks now I did have one more question does carnival have it's own parking area that I can leave my car or do I have to find a different area to park that I migh need a lot of luck to find? Thank for you help.

Hangman, Carnival has it's own parking garage right at the pier (4 stories I think and $12/day). Hopefully they won't let grand prix attendees park there!

I don't think many of the Grand Prix attendees would park at the pier because it is not really that close. The pier is across the bay from the main part of Long Beach so it wouldn't be that convenient. We didn't drive. Flew in from Texas the day before and just took a cab from the airport. There is a free shuttle that goes from the pier/Queen Mary that you can ride over to the main area. Runs pretty frequently so that's what we took when we went to eat.

Thanks guys I live in San Diego but have not been to Long Beach in a long, long time. I will be going to Texas in 08 Jan and will be leaving on the Conquest. Hope to have fun on that one also. Again thank you.

I've been going to the LBGP since 1982.... great street course... but that's another story...

If you take the 405 to the 710 and head south, you shouldn't even notice any congestion generated from the race.

The 710 will stay on the opposite side of the LA river all the way out to the coast. You can follow this route all the way out to the Queen Mary - Carnival complex.... stay in the right lanes if traffic looks to be backing up as exit from 710 to LBGP will be on the left hand side and that does tend to back up sometimes before noon on race weekend...

Here's a link to the area on google maps: http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&q=&t=h&om=1&z=15&ll=33.761952,-118.194952&spn=0.025403,0.039911

Have a great cruise!

I'm assuming the people talking about shuttles and cabs from the Queen Mary to The Pride are talking about when Carnival docked in San Pedro??? The Queen Mary and the Pride are right next to each other now. If you stay at the Queen Mary you can just walk right over to the dome for check-in. Or better still....do the early check-in at the back of the Queen Mary before 11 am. Then about 11 go over the the dome for Zone 1 line-up.

You know guys if it where not for you guys I would not even know about the grand prix and get to Long Beach and get stuck in the traffic so a big thank you. Now that I know all about this it helps a lot thanks. And for all the different things to do like stay at a hotel or drive in early and park at the carnival parking lot or just take a but or cab help a lot. This is what makes this web site worth it. To all my fellow Cruise Critics a Big Thank you. And to all that read this and are going on April 15 hope this helps and hope to see you on board.

You know guys if it where not for you guys I would not even know about the grand prix and get to Long Beach and get stuck in the traffic

You don't have to worry about getting stuck in traffic during the Grand Prix. It is moving at about 150 MPH, which is even faster than most of the freeways when they are clear (the 14 and 15 freeways being notable exceptions).

• 2 months later...

Archived