La Pensione in San Diego's Little Italy?

twobluecats

I have not stayed there (I live in San Diego) but have driven by a few times. Looks like a clean but certainly not lux hotel from the photos of the inside. I love the Little Italy area though. Many good places to eat, a few nice shops, and you can ride the San Diego Trolley from there north to Old Town or Mission Valley, or south to the Gaslamp Quarter or even to Tijuana from there. It is not far via cab to the Zoo and Balboa Park either.

La Pensione is a charming inexpensive hotel in the Littl eItlay neighborhood of SanDiego which is just north of downtown and th ecruise port.A friend of mine for New York City stayed there this summer because she wanted to spend very little money and be in a neighborhood with easy access to restaurants(walk out you rdoor and there's lots to choose from). I twas just fine for her purpose.

I have had several friends stay there, and they loved it. Their regular rooms are about $80 + tax - those rooms have a sink in the bedroom - while the toilet and shower are in the bathroom. All rooms have a ceiling fan - don't really need AC, as it is only a few blocks from the water.

They have 4 corner rooms (2 windows) and the sink is in the bathroom (room 104, 204, 304 & 404) - those rooms are about $100 + tax. This is NOT a hotel for families - only one queen bed per room.

The hotel is in the heart of Little Italy. Lots of restaurants and coffee shops - 2 blocks to the trolley (public transportation).

I hope this helps.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...
Good afternoon! I am considering booking at this boutique hotel based on tripadvisor.com reviews. Any firsthand reviews here?

We stayed at La Pensione last July. We added a review with pictures to tripadvisor right after our stay. Its a cute hotel in a cute part of town with easy access to shops, coffeehouses and restaurants. The rooms are small and basic, yet clean and comfortable with reasonable rates. We visit San Diego often and will plan to stay there the next time we are in town.

• 2 weeks later...

When we stay at La Pensione later this month, we plan to try a nearby award winning Italian restaurant called Vincenzo Ristorante Italiano on 1702 India Street. We were able to get a certificate for $25 off a $35 check at http://www.restaurant.com . By going directly to that website, the cost is $10 for the coupon. Through the Coupon Mom website, the cost currently is $6. Click on http://www.couponmom.com/index.php?cid=159 . Go half way down the center of the page and click on “Pay only $6 for a $25 Restaurant Gift Certificate.“

Archived