Speaking of "formal dress"

stbmom

Your first sentence is uncalled for and simply not true! Many people saved for a year or even years to go on a cruise. Take a look AGAIN at the formal night SUGGESTED wear...not anyplace does it say mandatory. Many people have no need for formal wear in the daily lives...they don't go to the opera either... IT IS NOT A REQUIREMENT....as long as people are neatly dressed what difference could it possibly be to you or anyone else who is constantly preaching about what to wear and what not to wear? We were on a cruise and one of the couples at our table were celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary..they had NEVER been on a vacation in their lives...they reared 6 children..their children surprised them with a cruise.....they wore clothes for formal night that they'd wear to church...that was their best and their best was good enough for all of us at the table. This subject has been beaten to death. Times have changed....cruising has changed.....but you and others like you haven't!! Unless y'all own the cruise company please STOP trying to DICTATE to others.

Very well said. ;) I wish people would get it now, but most are too stubborn and will not...ever. You statement should be the end of it but I imagine this debate will go on and on and on.

These threads always crack me up :D .

Mainly, because it is always the men who are so dead set against formal nights and dressing up, having to (gasp!) wear a jacket and tie. Although there are a few ladies out there who don't care for formal nights, you hardly ever see a thread regarding dressing in a formal gown.

Can you imagine....."I wear a formal dress to work every day and doggone it, I'm not wearing one on my vacation". Or..... "I refuse to wear these dangly earrings just to go and eat dinner". How about..... "These beautiful shoes that I spent hours hunting and shopping for are only going to kill my feet after two hours". Or "My dinner won't taste any different if I have pantyhose on or not".

Nah, we ladies love to primp, dress up and feel beautiful. I think it is a very small sacrifice for men to don a simple tie and jacket. Just think, you don't need Spanx or pantyhose underneath (well, some of you do :) ). You won't be spending any extra time on your makeup or hair. You don't have to wear a bra, your shoes have solid heels that you can walk in, you don't need a special wrap because your jacket and shirt are covering your arms already.

Why not dress up, look handsome and make your spouse/SO or mother, aunt, boyfriend, daughter etc... feel proud to be on your arm? It's all so much simpler for you.

Before you chew my head off, if I were making the arrangements, I would forego the formal nights altogether. But, I would make every night semi-formal, so you guys would have to wear the dreaded jacket and tie every single night and the ladies would wear dressy pantsuits and cocktail dresses every night of the week. Then it would really feel like a special vacation and the dining room, always beautiful with elegant guests.

Mainly, because it is always the men who are so dead set against formal nights and dressing up, .

Usually, it's because "they" are trying to fit a 38" waist into 34" trousers. :eek:

They can't and then try to come up with an excuse.

These threads always crack me up :D .

Nah, we ladies love to primp, dress up and feel beautiful.

Not this "lady"! I will wear a nice dress if I absolutely have to, but don't own anything formal. Hate primping! These threads crack me up too; I find it very funny how upset everyone gets with other people's attire. I really don't care what other people are wearing.

Not this "lady"! I will wear a nice dress if I absolutely have to, but don't own anything formal. Hate primping! These threads crack me up too; I find it very funny how upset everyone gets with other people's attire. I really don't care what other people are wearing.

You do have to admit, though, none of the clothing threads like this are focused on womens attire, it's all about the suits. These threads repeat themselves constantly, on every cruise message board and every cruiseline, with the exception of the high end lines that have no formal nights or Windjammer cruises. It's been going on for years and the responses never change.

I do have to say, I care a whole lot more about the people in the clothes than the clothes they are wearing. A whole lot of very nice people don't like to primp and dress up. I primp every day and don't change my makeup or hair for a formal night from what I normally do. I've got wonderful friends and co-workers who don't and I love them for the nice people that they are, not their hair or clothes.

It's the ones who fight it so much that are amusing.

Archived