Is this tour a good price and worth if for us?

igitur

I'm trying to decide how to spend our day off the ship in Calica with our 6 year old son and 8 year old daughter and I've received a quote and itinerary from Edventures (basically 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. for $290 total, includes ziplining, cenotes, snorkeling, swim with turtles, monkey sanctuary and transport.)

I've spent a lot of time reading up on everyone's comments about Edventures and it seems like a great tour with some very nice people.

However, I mentioned it to a friend of mine who travels to Cancun twice a year and she said it's way too expensive, that we'd be better off getting a taxi and giving the driver $100 to take us around to those places on his own.

Any comments, opinions? I think I'd feel safer with a tour guide such as Edventures (I mean you get what you pay for right?) I like the idea that they assure me that they'll get us back to our ship on time.

We've also thought about Xel-ha and Xcaret but I'm leary of booking on my own and then not getting back to the ship in time. The only one they offer through the cruiseline is for Tulum/Xel-ha and it's $89 pp. We've already been to Tulum so we have no interest in going there with the kids.

Any help or words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Deb

• 9 months later...

You should for sure go with Edventures! You could cut out the zipline if you want to save some money. That was an extra $10 pp for us. I have wrote about them a lot in other posts and included prices. We did it for $70 pp but we also had 13 people. That could be why it was a little cheaper. It was nice having your own guide and is well worth the extra money. You will have no clue about half of the stuff otherwise.

• 3 weeks later...

You could do the taxi option, however, I don't recommend it for this particular port unless you have actually been there before and know what you are doing. For one thing, with a taxi driver or rental car, you will have to pay the admission price to all of those places and figure out on your own what to do once you get there. That's all included in your EDventures price quote.

Swimming with the turtles was fantastic, but without Hector, our EDventures guide, we wouldn't have had the boat to take us out to the reef and we wouldn't have known where to swim to look for the turtles. We got in the water and he took us right to them. At the cenotes, we were guided on what to do and where to go. If on our own, it would have taken valuable time to try and figure everything out.

Not to mention that they kept the van cooler full of water, soda and beer...all we could drink. We never ran out and never paid extra. You will not go wrong with EDventures...the price is more than reasonable for what you get.

Archived