How strict are age ranges for Camp Carnival?

jeffthx

Hello--

We just returned from our Miracle trip (without the kids), and we're considering another trip next year on the Legend, but this time with the kids. At the time of sailing, they would be 5 and 8. The (future) 5-year old is very close with his brother, and I feel that he would adapt much better to the week if he could be with in a group with him. He's definitely not a shy kid--he just fits in better with older kids than younger kids. He would only be a few months away from turning 6 as of the sail date. I'm just wondering if Carnival will look beyond the nominal age data, and allow us to prevent the 5-year old from being placed with kids that would mostly be younger than him. He's much more used to hanging out with his older brother and his friends, and I have a feeling he wouldn't enjoy being with the 2-3 year-olds all week. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

jj

Hello--

We just returned from our Miracle trip (without the kids)

Well then, put down the computer, get back to the ship and get your kids! :)

My suggestion is to present your case to the camp director on the first day you board the ship. Depending on how many other special requests are made, how respectful you are of them, and how many are in each age group, you might get what you want.

On the other hand, realize your five year old is going to be in the same school as your eight year old, and your school is not going to put your five year old in the same class as the eight year old just because the five year old wants it that way. It may be that for one reason or another Carnival cannot agree to your request. You and your five year old need to be prepared for that before you board the ship, or it could have a negative impact on the cruise experience for the entire family.

I agree it may be a bit of an adjustment for him to hang around with 2yr olds. My daughter will be almost 5 when we sail next month, so I'll let you know how it goes. My experience with the Camp Carnival program is that they pretty much stick to the age guidelines unless there are special circumstances. One other possibility I've read about is if there are many fewer children on the ship, they may combine some age groups. I've sailed two cruises with all four of my children and it always seems to work out in the end.

My daughter is a VERY mature almost-6 year old, and my son is 7. On the Fantasy she had to stay with the 2-5 age group. She wasn't very happy about it, but she still had a good time and sort of served as "helper" to the counselors. Since they "know" her after this 5 day cruise and we'll be back on the ship Monday, I may ask them if they would allow her to do the 6-8 group this time around with her brother. I'm definitely prepared for them to say no, however, as their rules might prohibit moving kids up to the next age group no matter what the circumstances.

I definitely wouldn't count on them doing it - but you never know.

I agree, dont tell your 5 year old he even "might" get to go.

I think he is too much younger and they wouldnt let him come in for liability reasons. BUT maybe if there are very few kids in that age group they might. There is a BIG difference in a 5 year old and an 8 year old, so just make sure you are okay if they say no.

Will he be in Kindergarden at the time?

Archived