Butler Questions

RDWills

I have looked at several old posts regarding butlers but still have a few questions about the butlers. My upcoming trip is on the QM2 if that makes a difference.

First are they all men or are there women butlers also. I ask because I would feel uncomfortable having a male pack and unpack my clothes but might acquiesce to the service if it was a female butler. Although in truth I still probably prefer doing it myself.

Second as I understand it they are the ones who bring us the evening canapés. Do you have to ask them for this or are they automatic, and also can we request a variation in our canapés? I usually like little pieces of cold veggies and cheese as well or better than most canapé or Hors d'eouvres plates.

Third my current understanding is that I would ask the butler for anything I might want done to the room, or for anything I want brought to the room; and would ask the concierge for other services like Todd English reservations or planetarium tickets. Is this about right or does it matter who I ask.

I have more questions but I’ll start with these, thanks for any help and suggestions you may have. I am really looking forward to our trip.

-Robin

I have looked at several old posts regarding butlers but still have a few questions about the butlers. My upcoming trip is on the QM2 if that makes a difference.

I don't know, but from the perspective of the QE2....

First are they all men or are there women butlers also.

Both.

I ask because I would feel uncomfortable having a male pack and unpack my clothes but might acquiesce to the service if it was a female butler. Although in truth I still probably prefer doing it myself.

Then do it yourself. The idea is that you do what you want, and they do the rest.

Second as I understand it they are the ones who bring us the evening canapés. Do you have to ask them for this or are they automatic, and also can we request a variation in our canapés? I usually like little pieces of cold veggies and cheese as well or better than most canapé or Hors d'eouvres plates.

They come up from the kitchen on a large tray. Unless you have "do not disturb" on the door then they are automatic. But I cannot see you being refused what you want, especially as (at least on QE2) there are canapes in the Queens Grill Lounge. See what they say!

Third my current understanding is that I would ask the butler for anything I might want done to the room, or for anything I want brought to the room; and would ask the concierge for other services like Todd English reservations or planetarium tickets. Is this about right or does it matter who I ask.

We've always used them as super duper stewards, making trips to the Purser's Office personally and so on. There is no concierge on QE2, nor is there anything that needs booking in advance. I cannot see why there should be any prescription in who you ask.

I have more questions but I’ll start with these, thanks for any help and suggestions you may have. I am really looking forward to our trip.

That's the main thing!

Just enjoy yourself. Don't worry about using the butler properly. Just relax and have a wonderful holiday.

You could always ask what the form is when you get on board. I imagine they explain it each time at embarkation!

First are they all men or are there women butlers also. I ask because I would feel uncomfortable having a male pack and unpack my clothes but might acquiesce to the service if it was a female butler. Although in truth I still probably prefer doing it myself.

Men and women both on the QM2, random which you get but men do out number women. Couldn't hurt to tell the Chief Purser, "I prefer a female butler, please."

Automatic, and I bet that your butler will bring whatever your favorite is,

within reason.

Your division of labor is correct.

The only certainty is that you will enjoy your QM2 voyage, butler or not.

Bon voyage!

Just got off QM2 yesterday after being in a so-called "butler" room. You have to give the Marketing people a plus. The butler thing is all spin. As always, you get 2 people tending to your room. The big difference is that one of them got a new uniform and is called a butler.

You get the feeling that they would drop over in a dead faint if you asked them to unpack your bags.

As always, they do a fine job of keeping the room clean and neat. Special orders, etc. are always available.

As to the other stuff, it's just all hype. You find that out when you get on board and no one is there to point you to your room.

Enjoy.

As to the other stuff, it's just all hype. You find that out when you get on board and no one is there to point you to your room.

Enjoy.

Remember that's a QM2 thing.

On QE2 everyone - right down to the cheapest Mauretainia cabin - is shown to his cabin unless the service is declined.

The rest of your post seems to support what I said in relation to butlers being, in effect, superb stewards. But superb is the word - I don't see it as hype, because what you get is first rate.

On the Signal Deck of QE2 you have three butlers, and two bathroom boys. They deal with twenty suites. That's a good ratio!

Not sure about the unpacking - but I always have the feeling that such a request would be dealt with promptly. It's just that I have never asked!

On the Signal Deck of QE2 you have three butlers, and two bathroom boys. They deal with twenty suites. That's a good ratio!

No idea what a "bathroom boy" does for you and, perhaps, I don't want to know. Most of us, me anyway, prefer to use that chamber alone.

No idea what a "bathroom boy" does for you and, perhaps, I don't want to know. Most of us, me anyway, prefer to use that chamber alone.

:eek:

They are the two lads who do most of the basic cleaning.

As for multiple occupancy of the loo - you and I see eye to eye. Strictly a solo activity!

The one time I got to QG on the QE2 they did unpack.
On the QM2 Q3 Suite, we asked our butler to help hang up some of our clothes as we were trying to unpack and deal with an 18 month old. We were told "Sorry, I am too busy, you will have to do it yourself!".

Maybe we hadn't paid enough?

Archived