no excursions...what to do?

For those of you who don't take excursions. When in the Western Caribean on the Glory, are all ports walking friendly? My DH and I never take excursions. We ahve been able to just get off and roam around on every other ship we have been on. I know there are tenders in Belize I think, but do we have to buy excursions to be able to get out and see the places?

Heavens, no! I never book excursions. Whenever we pull into a port, I grab a cab (having done research prior to the cruise to make my plans), and head off to one of the beaches/parks. There are always tons of cabs waiting to take you anywhere you want to go. I don't like structured plans, so mine are pretty flexible. I much prefer going off on my own - and spend far less money doing so.

Just go to the Ports-of-Call board, scroll down to whatever port you're interested in, and start reading. A wealth of information is there for you! Good luck on your planning.:)

It's worth getting off the ship in Belize. The tender ride alone is a lot of fun. The little port area they've put up there is very nice. It has lots of authentic native crafts (speaking as someone whose father collected native Indian art for over 40 years), is clean, they keep pushy peddlers out, & gives you a nice feel for the place. There really aren't any places to take cabs to, but it's worth a stroll around the area, & doesn't take more than an hour to do.

We rarely do excursions anywhere anymore. Definitely prefer to just stroll around & get a feel for the local atmosphere. We're not big into shopping either, so it's fun to get off the 1 or 2 shopping streets & really see what local life is like in the different places.

Archived