Wheelchair Access to HMC

GCS-LifeIsGood

I will cruise on the Volendam in March, 2007. This is the second cruise I have ever been on.

I know a tender is required to get to Half Moon Cay. I have heard HAL has lift that can get a wheelchair onto a tender. Has anyone tried that? I'm in a power wheelchair, so that may make it even less of a possibility. I would love to see HMC firsthand. But, the tender may prevent me from it. Anyone have any insight?

Unfortunately, I don't believe the tender lifts are capable

of handling a power wheelchair - due to the weight of the chair.

I haven't been on that ship - but usually one must be able to

maneuver a few stairs to get to the tender. Even when I

was just using crutches - I found it difficult to maneuver in and

out of the tender due to the degree of waves.

Thanks for your thought. I was definitely concerned about this. I could just imagine winding up at the bottom of the ocean (not a pleasant thought).

I was on the Zuiderdam in 2005 and enjoyed HMC from the ship. It looked so beautiful, it would be nice to experience it up close.

We were on the Volendam in October of this year and with the new "Tenders" that come from HMC to the ships, wheelchairs were rolled staight onto the tender from the ship over a flat ramp. The old days of having to go down a few stairs to reach the ships lifeboat tenders are a thing of the past.The exception may be when there are two ships in town, I understand the "Vista" class ship will get the HMC tenders , while the other ship uses its own lifeboats as tenders, same as all had to do in the past.I'm sure there are cc that use this service that can give you further details or contact HAL by phone.

I can't speak on the wheelchairs on the tenders, but I can say that I notice that guest that where on HMC that were in wheelchairs, or needed extra assistance, the employee used golf carts to drop them off at various points. I also noticed some assistance going down to the beach. But, this may vary on staffing and number of ships in that day. The majority of the wheelchair guest stayed in the village area and the lunch area.

Thanks for your thought. I was definitely concerned about this. I could just imagine winding up at the bottom of the ocean (not a pleasant thought).

I've seen people on HMC in those wheelchairs that have big, fat round wheels. I think the chairs belong to HAL and they will either loan or rent you one for the day on HMC.

Any chance you can use a foldable wheelchair to get onto and off the tender, and then have your TA make the arrangements for you to use one of these special ones on HMC? Are you traveling with family or friends that can assist you with getting on and off the tender? I've seen lots of handicapped folks enjoying HMC, so I am sure it's doable.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We were on the Volendam in October of this year and with the new "Tenders" that come from HMC to the ships, wheelchairs were rolled staight onto the tender from the ship over a flat ramp. The old days of having to go down a few stairs to reach the ships lifeboat tenders are a thing of the past.The exception may be when there are two ships in town, I understand the "Vista" class ship will get the HMC tenders , while the other ship uses its own lifeboats as tenders, same as all had to do in the past.I'm sure there are cc that use this service that can give you further details or contact HAL by phone.

That's exactly right. I was on HMC in October on the Amsterdam, sharing the island with the Westerdam for the day. The Westerdam got the HMC tenders, while we used the normal ship's tenders. However, I will say that HAL's staff is great in working with folks with limited mobility, and I can't imagine them not being able to get someone in a wheelchair safely onto and off of the tender. The only time that would be an issue would be if the seas were very high as to make that unsafe, and in that case chances are HMC as a port stop would be cancelled anyway.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived