16 year old Photo I.D.....HELP?!!!

We sail in less than 2 weeks (Aug 1st Inspiration) and I have been told that a school I.D. and Birth Certificate would be fine for our 16 year old. Now I am getting conflicting reports.

Other people confirmed that their 14 y/o and 15 y/o had no prob using their school I.D. but now someone informed me that is because anyone under 16 isn't required to have a photo I.D. They told me that 16 y/o's and above must have a photo I.D. that is government issued. Well, my son doesn't have his license yet and since we were told that his school I.D. would be fine...along with his birth certificate, I didn't look into a state I.D. or a passport. Now it is too late to get either of those. Is there anyone out there who has cruised with a 16 or a 17 year old and used just the school I.D. for photo identification along with the birth certificate? I am now officially in a panic over this!

I was told it takes 4 -6 weeks to get the DMV photo I.D. in the mail. So, this isn't true? They give it to you the same day? We are leaving in 10 days.
On the cali dmv website http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#idcard

its says 60 days. Here is an exerpt

How to apply for or renew an identification (ID) card

DMV issues two types of ID cards. A regular ID card valid for six years, and a senior citizen ID card valid for 10 years. To qualify for a senior citizen ID card, you must be age 62 or older.

To apply for an ID card you will need to do the following:

• Visit a DMV office (make an appointment for faster service)
  • Complete application form DL 44 (An original DL 44 form must be submitted. Copies will not be accepted.)
  • Give a thumb print
  • Have your picture taken
  • Provide your social security number. It will be verified with the Social Security Administration while you are in the office.
  • Verify your birth date and legal presence (you may use your California driver license)
  • Pay the $20 application fee. There is no fee for a senior citizen ID card.

Check your address before you leave DMV and tell the DMV representative if your address is incorrect. Your new ID will be mailed to you within 60 days. If you have not received your ID after 60 days, call 1-800-777-0133 to check the status. Have your receipt and/or old ID card with you to provide information when requested.

DMV will exchange a valid license for a no-fee ID card to drivers who are no longer able to drive safely because of a physical or mental condition. Please call your local DMV for additional information.

I just got off the phone with the DMV and was told that the soonest you can expect the I.D. in the mail is 2 weeks and she said it is more than likely it will take 4 weeks. They offer no rush service. I guess the California DMV system is different from all of yours. She said there is no same day service available. I was told by so many people months ago that his school I.D. w/BC would be fine...now, at a time we should all be excited, I am upset and don't know what to do.

Better check with Carnival direct. On our HAL cruise just a couple months ago only the 17 year old needed an ID card. 16 and under was not required.

However, each cruiseline could be different.

Why does California always do things the hard way??? LOL.. it's much easier here!! Just go in, provide some info, get pic, voila... ID Card.

You can take the chance of using the school ID... and it may be okay, but what if it's not? You can get a Passport expedited at any number of places, for a fee of course :( This is one of the many sites, http://www.americanpassport.com/Passport_Child.html

Contact Carnival though... on further reading, Carnival states:

In addition to the above requirements, all guests 16 years of age or older, must provide an official photo I.D. It is important that guest names on travel documents (passport, Permanent Resident card, birth certificates, etc.) be identical to those on the cruise and airlines tickets. If not, proof of name change (i.e., a marriage license) OR a valid driver’s license or government issued photo ID (i.e., U.S. Military ID) must be presented.

Soooo, you may be okay?

Good luck...

I just got off the phone with a Carnival Representative. She assured me that the school I.D. with the Birth Certificate will be fine for my 16 year old! What a relief! Okay, I can go back to being excited again.

Thanks for all the input. I hope this thread may help someone else.

I just got off the phone with a Carnival Representative. She assured me that the school I.D. with the Birth Certificate will be fine for my 16 year old! What a relief! Okay, I can go back to being excited again.

Thanks for all the input. I hope this thread may help someone else.

YEAH!!!! HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!!

OK, now I'll tell my story...my 18y/o daughter was with me last week on the Elation. Carried her DL everywhere, cuz she kept getting carded. Last night of the cruise, we packed, put the luggage outside our room, they picked it up. In the morning, we were getting everything together to leave, I asked for everyone's DL. Hers was PACKED IN THE LUGGAGE THEY PICKED UP! She was in tears...she had left it in a pocket...We found her school ID in her purse. But when we went through customs, I just took her with me, said "this is my baby" and they never even asked for pic ID! Just asked her for her name, and off we went! It was such a relief...sure didn't want to have to wade through a sea of luggage to prove who she was!

Just be glad you don't live in Alabama! Any time you get a driver's license, or renew it, you get a blue paper "temporary", with your picture in black on it. It took FOUR weeks for me to get my first driver's license, and THREE weeks to get my renewal. NO cruise lines will accept these. Guess I lived in more "technologically advanced" states before I came here. Always got the laminated DL on the spot. But - have had a Passport since I was 18 (back during the days of King Arthur), so it wasn't a problem for me, but it WAS a problem for others here.

We have sailed on four Carnival cruises with our three kids under 18 years of age. School ID with the Birth Certificate has been all that we have ever needed. The most recent cruise being on the Carnival Fantasy on November 30th. Have fun!

S. Carter

Jubilee 12/2000

Fantasy 12/2001

Victory 12/2002

Fantasy 12/2003

Archived