Which cruise or route to take?

lorenna

I am currently doing my research toward taking a cruise to Alaska this season. However, have not decided which cruise to take. I am very inclined though to NCL's Pearl which is brand new and have a bowling alley. I am not quite sure about which cruises actually include sight seing of the glaciers. Would you please give some advice?

- Round trip from Seattle

- Traveling w/ DH and 4 yr old daughter

- Have always prefered balconies (although considering a window or interior due to both cold climate and price)

- Good food IS an important issue

- Prefer a seven day cruise

Glacier viewing for a RT Seattle or Vancouver cruise includes Tracy Arm with the Sawyer Glaciers, Glacier Bay, or Hubbard Glacier.

Of those, Hubbard and Glacier Bay would be my preference. Some cruises sailing Tracy Arm do not make it to the end of the arm for Sawyer Glacier viewing...

Can you consider Vancouver RT, with a short transfer from Seattle pre/post cruise? Your options open up a bit more, and transfers are easy with a rental car, shuttle bus, or Amtrak.

For Seattle RT, you mention NCL Pearl. It's a nice itinerary with its Glacier Bay sailing. HAL's sailings from Seattle are nice also, offering either Glacier Bay or Hubbard. If Vancouver RT is at all an option, check HAL's Vancouver RT sailings for Tracy Arm in addition to Glacier Bay. I would not choose a Princess Seattle RT itinerary for '07.

Food on a cruiseship all seems the same to me. Guess I'm not too picky. I'm not cookin' and doin' dishes. I'm happy!;)

We've had balcony and oceanview for Alaska... it was a bit chilly for the balcony, but the sliding door made for a good (expensive) picture window. Don't see much from an oceanview window unless you're standing right in front of it, but the light is nice.

we cruised on the NCL star last sept, the same route the pearl will be taking this year. love the freestyle, worked great for my family of 7..especially with the port times and excursions. a bowl of chili when you come back from whale watching is great (blue lagoon)

glacier bay was beautiful, great photo ops. we had a balcony..spent a lot of time on it the whole trip. kept the sliding door open most nights, until it got too cold, usually around 3am. love the sounds of the ship, waves..great sleeping.

we left from seattle for family matters, some live there. some will say the views are better leaving from vancourer, could be..i will try it one day. but seattle departure was so easy..no hassles at all.

glacier bay is a cruise day on the ship. for up-close glacier viewing you would have to do a excursion from one of the ports. look at the ship's itinerary, it will tell you what glaciers it cruises.

one thing, look up the website for the ports..for the pearl it will be juneau, skagway and ketchikan..each has website and list what's available from that area.

then you can decide to book through the ship or on your own.

decide your budget, think about your interests and research, research, research.

check out the links below for review and pics of our trip.

Archived