Just back ~ Antigua was fun!

GloriaF

We never got around to deciding between a land tour and Eli's tour before we left, and ended up just picking up a guide right outside the port area. His name was Herod and he was the only one driving an open-air taxi bus. He was a very good guide and quite knowledgeable about the US and other islands as well as he was a retired pro-futbol/soccer player. Anyway, it is the only open air bus and it was a good tour. It only cost $20 or $25pp and covered everything that we had wanted to see.

I would recommend him without hesitation.

We never got around to deciding between a land tour and Eli's tour before we left, and ended up just picking up a guide right outside the port area. His name was Herod and he was the only one driving an open-air taxi bus. He was a very good guide and quite knowledgeable about the US and other islands as well as he was a retired pro-futbol/soccer player. Anyway, it is the only open air bus and it was a good tour. It only cost $20 or $25pp and covered everything that we had wanted to see.

I would recommend him without hesitation.

Where all did you go? and how long was your excursions? ~ Els

Els, my recollection of what we saw on which island is a little confused right now - we had 5 ports in 5 days, and the first 3 ports were the ones with the guided tours.

In Antigua with Herod, we went all over the island - to an overlook of the national park (he did not pay entrance fee of $5 & we all agreed that it was not important to go inside); we went to a waterfall, he stopped at the sugar factory ruins and gave us a history lesson about Antigua and the sugar industry. He pointed out plants and sites of interest and it lasted about 4 hours. It was well worth the price and we liked the open air taxi better than the a/c minibusses on other islands because the views are better. And it isn't hot once you leave the city.

In St Lucia, we used Cosol and his tour was also excellent. This was pre-arranged, and ended up having about 12 people on it. This is what he wrote: The tour fee is US$45 per person. Its 5 to 6 hours, You only pay in cash at the end of the tour. We will be visiting the waterfall, volcano, botanical garden, marigot bay, fishing villages, banana plantation, shopping, beach and snorkling at the Hillton Jalousie hotel that between the Pitons and many more things on the way. I will be paying all the entrance fees. There will be lots to see, lots to do, lots to sample of our local taste on the way, and I will have a cooler with drinks like water, rum punch, local beers and soda.

And in Grenada, we had a pre-arranged tour with Mandoo, which was also excellent. His email: .The spice plantation route is ideal for your stay on the island. Douglaston spice depot,there will be a presentation on all the spices,you can purchase fresh quality spices there. Drive through the lush volcanic mountains to see the spices,cocoa and bananas plantations. Great photo shots. Grand etang crater lake. Rain forest. Small walk on the nature trail if so desire. May see the Mona monkeys. Annandale waterfall. Then to the beach for a swim which I give as complimentary for those who are

interested.

Sorry I cannot be more specific about Antigua ~ it is all a wonderful memory but running together when I try to sort details.

I noticed you cruised on The sun Princess! I was on her in September on the Panama Canal cruise from Seattle to Fort Lauderdale 17-days and we (my MIL) and I so much enjoyed that cruise.

Thank you for your information ~ my DH and I will be sailing on the Carnival Destiny out of San Juan and we will be visiting the islands of St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia and Antigua. I did book with Cosol in St. Lucia and after what you told me I would like to book with Herod. I agree with that an open air bus is so much nicer dan an a/c van. In Dominica I booked a tour also with Reyno. We have been to Barbados and we will not book a tour but go to our favorite beach and restaurant "Suga Suga on Mullins Beach by public transportation. In St. Thomas we will book something once we get there.

So glad you had a great cruise ~ thank you again for the information ~ Els

I noticed you cruised on The sun Princess! I was on her in September on the Panama Canal cruise from Seattle to Fort Lauderdale 17-days and we (my MIL) and I so much enjoyed that cruise.

Thank you for your information ~ my DH and I will be sailing on the Carnival Destiny out of San Juan and we will be visiting the islands of St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia and Antigua. I did book with Cosol in St. Lucia and after what you told me I would like to book with Herod. I agree with that an open air bus is so much nicer dan an a/c van. In Dominica I booked a tour also with Reyno. We have been to Barbados and we will not book a tour but go to our favorite beach and restaurant "Suga Suga on Mullins Beach by public transportation. In St. Thomas we will book something once we get there.

So glad you had a great cruise ~ thank you again for the information ~ Els

Gloria...do you have contact info for Herod in Antigua ~ I have heard of a Herod in St. Lucia on these boards, but not of one in Antigua ~ thanks for any info you can give me ~ Els

Els, sorry I didn't get a card for Herod. I feel certain that if you look for the open air taxi you will find him. He made a comment that he was the only one with the open air taxi.

A driver by the name of Rodney approached us first, but he couldn't find anyone else and said he would not be able to take just the two of us for the quoted amount of $25 ~~ that's when we spoke with Herod. His open air taxi was right there and filling up, so it was just luck that we found him.

Your upcoming cruise sounds nice! We went to the Baths in Virgin Gorda when in Barbados last cruise. Beautiful and superb snorkeling!

Els, sorry I didn't get a card for Herod. I feel certain that if you look for the open air taxi you will find him. He made a comment that he was the only one with the open air taxi.

A driver by the name of Rodney approached us first, but he couldn't find anyone else and said he would not be able to take just the two of us for the quoted amount of $25 ~~ that's when we spoke with Herod. His open air taxi was right there and filling up, so it was just luck that we found him.

Have a wonderful cruise on the Carnival Destiny! Your upcoming cruise sounds nice!

• 1 month later...

Hey Anna! I haven't checked the boards lately, sorry for the delay. I do not recall stopping at the beach in Antigua with Herod. We did have a beach stop in both Grenada and St Lucia ~ aren't you going to those ports as well?

Please drop me an email and let me know which ship you will be on, and all the details. And say hello to Troy and Danielle. :)

Hey Gloria, and others,

We just got back from our cruise and when we stopped in Antigua we went to Hawksbill Resort. You should have gone there. It was beautiful. Exquisitly(sp?) groomed grounds, lovely accommadations, and beautiful beaches(they have 4). It is an all-inclusive. Either you pay a set price and enjoy everything they have to offer or you can just rent chairs and umbrellas for the day. If you just rent the chairs you cannot eat there. So make sure you bring some food with you. It is just beautiful there. Am I repeating myself?

Thanks for the update. I suppose you took a taxi ~ how for and what was the cost? I'll store this info away for next time.

Taxi was $6 per person going and $5 per person coming back. It took less than 15 min. to get there. There were 6 of us going and 4 returning.

Hey Gloria, and others,

We just got back from our cruise and when we stopped in Antigua we went to Hawksbill Resort. You should have gone there. It was beautiful. Exquisitly(sp?) groomed grounds, lovely accommadations, and beautiful beaches(they have 4). It is an all-inclusive. Either you pay a set price and enjoy everything they have to offer or you can just rent chairs and umbrellas for the day. If you just rent the chairs you cannot eat there. So make sure you bring some food with you. It is just beautiful there. Am I repeating myself?

did you purchase a day pass at the resort or did you just go to their beach?

Thanks! :)

Antigua Guy, or one of the native posts, said that one of the beaches at Hawksbill was clothing optional ~ true?

on a previous review I read they have a beach called Eden and it is clothing optional.

We didn't purchase a pass. We rented beach chairs from the front desk for $5 each. You can use any of the 4 beaches there. The last one is called Eden Beach. It is a clothing optional beach. That is the one we went there for. It is a short walk from the main entrance. I think if you purchase the pass, it costs $60 for the day and includes breakfast, lunch and water toys. If you get there after breakfast it is $40 for the day. No charge if you don't rent chairs.

Archived