Meet HAL's senior staff

Copper10-8

John,

I wonder if anyone recognises the other person in the photo with John Scott?

Let's see who comes up with the right answer!

Stephen

Oh, man ... can't remember her name, but she was in that movie, Children of a Lesser God. That photo was taken during the christening of the Noordam, right?

Blue skies ...

--rita

John,

I wonder if anyone recognises the other person in the photo with John Scott?

Let's see who comes up with the right answer!

Stephen

Of for Pete's sake - that one is sooooo easy: Marlee Matlin of course. I believe that she is the Godmother of the ms Noordam and that it would be our own lovely S7S who has had the pleasure of meeting Miss Matlin in person.

Valerie:)

"CG, you will find James Russel-Dunsford's bio on post #54 of this thread by Atomica/Aaron! How 'bout scanning those three pics from your magazine and posting them here?:) "

Sorry John can't do, I do not have a scanner, can't afford spent all my money cruising. :) don't think I am smart enuf to work our how to do it either, I think you have to make the pics smaller to post on here ?

I knew Russell-Dunford was already posted, but since that you did a list of skippers and he is not in the list!

I would appreciate it if anyone has information on Henk Keijer. I had the great pleasure of having dinner with him when he was the Chief Officer aboard the Ryndam in 2001. Lovely man.

Also I don't believe that Bert van Macklenberg is yet a Hotel Manager. He was the Food and Beverage Manager aboard the Amsterdam last Christmas/New Year's - another lovely man with whom I enjoyed a glass of Champagne last New Year's Eve. He is again listed as Food and Beverage Manager aboard the Amsterdam for 2007's GWV, with Fekko Ebbers listed as Hotel Manager.

I also remember Brian McNeil, a Canadian, from the Prinsendam in 2002. Gee, I get around more than I think I do:D .

Sorry - just checked my list for the GWV and I spelled Fekko Ebbens name wrong (apologies). Also Bert van Macklenburg is actually listed as Culinary Operations Manager with Murat Kaya listed as Beverage Manager (again - apologies).

Of for Pete's sake - that one is sooooo easy: Marlee Matlin of course. I believe that she is the Godmother of the ms Noordam and that it would be our own lovely S7S who has had the pleasure of meeting Miss Matlin in person.

Good for you Val!! You won a new Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner for that correct answer!:D (Sorry Rita, close but no sigar this time)Thanks for the heads up on Bert van Meckelenberg. I thought I saw him in a review once as H/M but maybe he was on move-up/filling in. I'm also not sure if Henk Keijer is a full fletched captain yet?? I know he was acting captain on Zuiderdam not too long ago while still chief officer.

CG, that list of captains, H/M's etc. are the ones who don't have a bio posted here as of yet;) Yes, if you use the "attach" function, the pics have to be shrunk down to 620 x 280. If you use some of the programs like webshots, I don't think they do.

Good for you Val!! You won a new Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner for that correct answer!:D (Sorry Rita, close but no sigar this time)Thanks for the heads up on Bert van Meckelenberg. I thought I saw him in a review once as H/M but maybe he was on move-up/filling in. I'm also not sure if Henk Keijer is a full fletched captain yet?? I know he was acting captain on Zuiderdam not too long ago while still chief officer.

CG, that list of captains, H/M's etc. are the ones who don't have a bio posted here as of yet;) Yes, if you use the "attach" function, the pics have to be shrunk down to 620 x 280. If you use some of the programs like webshots, I don't think they do.

Hey John - thanks, just what I needed to add to my collection of never-used vacuum cleaners (you think I'm Kidding?:D ).

One thing I didn't mention, and this is just between you and me you understand: both Henk Keijer and Bert van Mecklenburg get my full "omigod" treatment every time I see them. Brian McNeil, being the only brunette of the three ain't too shabby either;) .

Hey John - thanks, just what I needed to add to my collection of never-used vacuum cleaners (you think I'm Kidding?:D ).

One thing I didn't mention, and this is just between you and me you understand: both Henk Keijer and Bert van Mecklenburg get my full "omigod" treatment every time I see them. Brian McNeil, being the only brunette of the three ain't too shabby either;) .

Good for you Val;)

Sorry John I did not read your post properly, story of my life, always rushing everything. :(

Statendam back in Auckland in the morning, and I am very excited, just had an email from the bestest crew member in the world, she can get off the ship and is going to meet us for a Xmas get together, what a great Xmas present to think she can't wait to see me again either :D No doubt about it, HAL do have some great people on their ships that give so willingly to the pax.

Statendam back in Auckland in the morning, and I am very excited, just had an email from the bestest crew member in the world, she can get off the ship and is going to meet us for a Xmas get together, what a great Xmas present to think she can't wait to see me again either :D No doubt about it, HAL do have some great people on their ships that give so willingly to the pax.

Hi CG,

I couldn't agree with you more about some of HAL's crewmembers. I spent last Christmas and New Year's aboard the Amsterdam with my daughter, granddaughter and my "Indonesian son". Aga and I have known each other for many years and he is "my Indonesian son" and I am his "American mom". I will be on board the Amsterdam for 49 days starting January 15th, and can't wait to see Aga again. Maybe on this cruise I will actually get to meet Aga's real mom and dad if the Indonesian ports aren't cancelled. We were all supposed to meet each other a couple of years ago but with the political situation is just didn't work out - maybe this time we will all get lucky and finally have a chance to meet.

Merry Christmas and a very happy New Year to you my Kiwi friend. Hey, maybe you and I will actually get to meet in person one of these days.

Valerie :)

Hi CG,

I couldn't agree with you more about some of HAL's crewmembers. I spent last Christmas and New Year's aboard the Amsterdam with my daughter, granddaughter and my "Indonesian son". Aga and I have known each other for many years and he is "my Indonesian son" and I am his "American mom". I will be on board the Amsterdam for 49 days starting January 15th, and can't wait to see Aga again. Maybe on this cruise I will actually get to meet Aga's real mom and dad if the Indonesian ports aren't cancelled. We were all supposed to meet each other a couple of years ago but with the political situation is just didn't work out - maybe this time we will all get lucky and finally have a chance to meet.

Merry Christmas and a very happy New Year to you my Kiwi friend. Hey, maybe you and I will actually get to meet in person one of these days.

Valerie :)

and the same to you Val. Perhaps you might like to email me at chivalrygirl@gmail.com sometime, then I can tell you all about my planned visit to the US again next year. You see you have stolen my only child but he is home for Xmas :D

Valerie & Rita,

First Prize!

Yes, she is the Godmother of NOORDAM.

I wonder how many godmothers come back and cruise on 'their' ship?

Stephen

Valerie & Rita,

First Prize!

Stephen

They'd be foolish not to. From what I understand, don't Godmothers get one free cruise on their ship per year ... in exchange, of course, for being willing to do a bit of PR or whatever if they are asked?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Valerie & Rita,

First Prize!

Stephen

It would seem that every time we are aboard the Amsterdam [4 times], Janet Lanterman is aboard and

I have only met her husband aboard once....;) :D

Our great pleasure today, to entertain a member of the crew from the Statendam for a couple of hours. We were talkikng about members of the crew that have since departed the ship. I asked her about the Cruise Director, Mike Conagham (not sure of spelling) he has left the ship along with his finance. She was very endeared to this gentleman and commented that he was one of the best, because he spoke to all and sundry. Can anyone add to Mike's bio and that of his dear lady fianance? Anybody remembering the real nice It guy, Brendan, he has now gone to Grand Princess.

They'd be foolish not to. From what I understand, don't Godmothers get one free cruise on their ship per year ... in exchange, of course, for being willing to do a bit of PR or whatever if they are asked?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita,

There you go! Perfect job for you. I'll write to Head Office and put your name forward as Godmother of the brand new m.s. EURODAM. You can sail whenever you want... Penthouse, of course.;)

Stephen

• 3 weeks later...

Captain Jeroen van Donselaar

Captain Jeroen van Donselaar was born in Kampen, the Netherlands. He has always admired the sea and when he was a teenager, he was once invited onto the bridge of a ferry sailing across the North Sea. This made such an impression on him that he decided to pursue a career at sea. He started with Holland America Line in 1986 as an Apprentice Officer on the M/S Noordam. After completing his studies at the Maritime University "De Ruyter" in Vlissingen, the Netherlands, he started working as Fourth Officer on the former M/S Nieuw Amsterdam and soon thereafter moved up through the ranks. While onboard Noordam in 1991, he was promoted to Second Officer and in 1995 to Chief Officer.

As Captain today, he is responsible for the entire ship and its complement. The highlight in his career, so far has been the nautical supervision of the new building of the M/S Zaandam in 1999, near Venice, Italy. Having sailed on all other classes of Holland America Line ships, he considers the new Vista class ships his favorites.

When not at sea, the captain lives in a waterfront residency along the estuary of the river Schelde. He likes to carry out home improvements by himself and this usually keeps his vacation days well filled.

Our great pleasure today, to entertain a member of the crew from the Statendam for a couple of hours. We were talkikng about members of the crew that have since departed the ship. I asked her about the Cruise Director, Mike Conagham (not sure of spelling) he has left the ship along with his finance. She was very endeared to this gentleman and commented that he was one of the best, because he spoke to all and sundry. Can anyone add to Mike's bio and that of his dear lady fianance? Anybody remembering the real nice It guy, Brendan, he has now gone to Grand Princess.

We had the pleasure of having Mike Connachan as our Cruise Director very recently on the Amsterdam, on the Christmas/New Year's cruise. Mike was not scheduled to be on this cruise, but he was asked to fill in at the last minute due to a death in the family of the original CD. He did a great job, and here is his bio:

Mike Connachan, born in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, was introduced to the hospitality industry on a visit to Whistler, Bristish Columbia. Impressed by the quality of service offered at a particular hotel, Mike immediately wanted to take part. Shortly after, he was hired at the same hotel as Concierge. After his stint out west, he decided to return to school and received a degree in Hospitality Management and Culinary Arts at Humber College in Toronto. Subsequently, Mike held numerous positions such as Director of Marketing, Food and Beverage Manager, and Guest Relations Manager in various hotels across Canada. Mike's family, originally from Scotland, spent many summers traveling across the Atlantic to visit relatives. He contracted the "travel bug", and decided to take his hotel experience out to sea. He has spent the last several years in various positions aboard Holland America Line Vessels, and has enjoyed every minute of this spectacular adventure. Mike most recently got engaged to the woman of his dreams, who he met while working on the high seas over 3 years ago. As Cruise Director, he takes pride in making others feel right at home, and he enjoys creating a memorable vacation experience for everyone. According to Mike, there is no other job in the world that can be as enjoyable and gratifying as this, and hopes that the laughter and entertainment he shares with you will remain as a memory for many years to come.

lol I have read that all before. Now it comes back to me with a vengenance. The crew of the Statendam loved him, because he took the time to talk to each and everyone of them. I still cannot remember his finances name and I understand from my contact that they are about to wed.

lol I have read that all before. Now it comes back to me with a vengenance. The crew of the Statendam loved him, because he took the time to talk to each and everyone of them. I still cannot remember his finances name and I understand from my contact that they are about to wed.

I'm sorry, Valerie, I can't add to what I posted above as I didn't have the chance to speak with Mike more than once; I simply copied his bio from the Daily Program on our cruise. I can say that he was a very kind and patient gentleman, and I agree with you, he always seemed to have time to talk with people, no matter how busy he may have been. I would have liked to get to know him a little better. Maybe another cruise, eh?

Karin

Archived