Meet HAL's senior staff

Copper10-8

• 2 months later...

Cruise Director David W. Martin

]David was born and raised in the colorful and exotic port of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. A musician, David worked in various show bands since the age of 16. He graduated Point Park University for Broadcasting and H.R. Management and worked in radio as a DJ for several years before starting his own entertainment agency and event management company in 1992. From musicians to magicians, jugglers to comedians, classical performers to jazz artists, he has worked with every imaginable type of entertainer. For 15 years he coordinated entertainment for corporate clients such as Sony, Heinz, and PPG, to name just a few.

His background in family-oriented entertainment caught the attention of the producers of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood and he produced many public events with the cast of that legendary PBS children's show. He worked for the Pittsburgh Steelers as their Director of Game Day Entertainment and held similar positions with the University of Pittsburgh Panthers and the Pittsburgh Pirates baseball team where he coordinated grand opening entertainment and activities for PNC Park, voted the best U.S. baseball park by ESPN.

When the call from Holland America Line came, David jumped at the chance to put all of his entertainment and event experience to work at sea and make each and every cruise a memorable, fun and entertaining experience. He gas worked recently in the Eastern Caribbean, Alaska, Europe, Hawaii and Canada/New England on the ms Maasdam, ms Statendam and the ms Zaandam. He currently resides in the North Hills of Pittsburgh with his wife, Denise, four children and his Labrador retriever.

1628933220_HALCruiseDirectorDavidMartin.JPG.530397d69e88f790bc000ac449032fce.JPG

Cruise Director Jay Gosselin

Born in Eastern Canada and raised in Montreal, Quebec, Jay is a graduate of Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario. Prior to earning his degree in Economics and Political Science, Jay attended the prestigious Philips Exeter Academy in New Hampshire where he met many international students from vastly different cultures. It was there that he developed the desire to travel and see the world.

Having played four years of University hockey, Jay was ready for some warm weather. His desire to immerse himself in new and exiting cultural adventures led him to Holland America Line. He began his career with HAL in 2001 as a customer service representative in Dawson City, Yukon Territory. He then decided to bring his love of customer service and entertainment to the open sea and has since enjoyed working onboard the Westerdam, Zaandam, Volendam, Prinsendam, Amsterdam, Noordam and Zuiderdam.

I haven't seen a bio yet for Doug Dunnell. I could provide one, but someone hinted that he might have been retiring... anyone know? :confused:

Diane

I don't have one on Mr. Dunnell. If you do, please post it (or e-mail it to me and I will do it for you) The more, the merrier. There are more retired HAL folks on here

OK, here's Doug Dunnell's:

"Doug was born and raised in what he affectionally calls 'The Cruise Capital of the World,' Glasgow, Montana, where he grew up on a wheat farm. One day his father decided to take his three sons out on the farm to teach them the ropes, and all three of them were rushed to the hospital because they were allergic to wheat dust, thus ending any career in farming. His father sold the business and moved to Missoula, Montana. Doug attended the University of Montana as an Opera Major and Drama Minor. he was then selected as the vocal soloist for the famed United States Army Field Band based out of the Pentagon in Washington, D.C.

"From there he attended the Peabody Conservatory of Music in Baltimore, Maryland, as an Opera Major and then on to New York City and the Julliard School as a special student in opera. Doug's professional life was varied and exciting, from opera to musical comedy, the concert stage to Gilbert and Sullivan. he has performed lead roles opposit June Allyson, Dennis Day, Judy Canova, Virginia Mayo, Cyril Richard, Robert Roundsville, and Ray Walson to name a few (all revivals..Diane's note: that list really dates him, doesn't it!? And ME).

He now calls Honolulu, Hawaii his home and thanks his lucky stars that he now inhales the fresh sea air and not the wheat dust of Montana." [this is quoted from the daily newspaper on board when we were on the Volendam with him]

Diane

Good stuff! Thanks for contributing!:) Kinda funny it doesn't say anything about how/when he started with HAL - Most do that

I don't remember the date, but he was with the cruise line around Hawaii that went out of business. The he joined Hollland America. He hasn't been with "us" that long.

Good stuff! Thanks for contributing!:) Kinda funny it doesn't say anything about how/when he started with HAL - Most do that

I don't remember the date, but he was with the cruise line around Hawaii that went out of business. The he joined Holland America. He hasn't been with "us" that long.

I don't remember the date, but he was with the cruise line around Hawaii that went out of business. The he joined Holland America. He hasn't been with "us" that long.

You must mean American Hawaii Cruises which started in 1980 with the ss Independence and ss Constitution. They bought HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam III in 2000 and named her ms Patriot. Unfortunately, in October 2001, the parent company, American Classic Voyages, went belly-up

BTW, if anyone wants to add to this "series", feel free. The little bio's of usually, the captain, hotel manager and/or cruise director can be found in the ship's daily programs on sea days. I don't have anymore new ones until maybe April

Cruise Director Gary Walker

Gary's experience in entertainment began in 1986. After completing a college course in Theater and Performing Arts in his hometown of London, England, he decided to enter leisure management. He became activities director at one of England's largest vacation resorts, catering to over 10,000 guests per week. "That was a good experience", he recalls, "But I prefer working with smaller groups of people. During a cruise you really build up a great rapport with the passengers and they become your newest and best friends." Since 1986 he has been entertainment director at various resorts around the Mediterranean and even Morocco. "Organizing camel races has to be the most unusual activity I have ever had to M.C.!"

Gary started working at sea in 1991 and thrives on the position of Cruise Director. He meets the challenge of every cruise where he strives to offer something for everyone. "The objective of my job is very clear. That everyone goes home with memories that will last forever." Gary has been the Cruise Director for the last two consecutive Grand World Cruises on the Rotterdam (2000 & 2001), which were both professionally challenging and rewarding, offering different entertainment to the same guests for 100 days! After the Summer of 2001, he joined Holland America's other flagship, the MS Amsterdam for her maiden World Cruise 2002.

When not at sea. he spends time between Florida and London. He enjoys traveling, exploring new places, music and god food (another reason he enjoys ship life!). Soon he wants to fulfill a life time ambition and learn to fly.

Gary also served as CD during the 2005 GWV aboard the Prinsendam.

Cruise Director Gary Walker

Gary's experience in entertainment began in 1986. After completing a college course in Theater and Performing Arts in his hometown of London, England, he decided to enter leisure management. He became activities director at one of England's largest vacation resorts, catering to over 10,000 guests per week. "That was a good experience", he recalls, "But I prefer working with smaller groups of people. During a cruise you really build up a great rapport with the passengers and they become your newest and best friends." Since 1986 he has been entertainment director at various resorts around the Mediterranean and even Morocco. "Organizing camel races has to be the most unusual activity I have ever had to M.C.!"

Gary started working at sea in 1991 and thrives on the position of Cruise Director. He meets the challenge of every cruise where he strives to offer something for everyone. "The objective of my job is very clear. That everyone goes home with memories that will last forever." Gary has been the Cruise Director for the last two consecutive Grand World Cruises on the Rotterdam (2000 & 2001), which were both professionally challenging and rewarding, offering different entertainment to the same guests for 100 days! After the Summer of 2001, he joined Holland America's other flagship, the MS Amsterdam for her maiden World Cruise 2002.

When not at sea. he spends time between Florida and London. He enjoys traveling, exploring new places, music and god food (another reason he enjoys ship life!). Soon he wants to fulfill a life time ambition and learn to fly.

Gary also served as CD on the 2005 GWV aboard the Prinsendam.

Doug Dunnell was CD on a cruise we took several years ago, I believe on the Ryndam, a 10-day Mexican Riviera cruise. He is a class act IMO. Very cordial, sincerely personable and a very good singer. At the Suite Luncheon, he sang a song with piano accompanying him. I hope we get to cruise with him again.

• 2 weeks later...
Doug Dunnell was CD on a cruise we took several years ago, ...Very cordial, sincerely personable and a very good singer.

Yes, I agree... he's been on 4 of my cruises, I believe, and I like him the best. He shows up places to see what's going on, takes the time to talk to people. A few I have had on board just whisk by, don't speak except when they do a public talk or on the intercom. Doug's my favorite... he can even tell you what ship he saw you on before and when!

Diane

Cruise Director Drew Murdock

Drew was born in the small fishing town of Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada. When he awoke next, he found himself in another Maritime province, New Brunswick, where he spent most of his childhood. Growing up as a pastor's kid, he became used to frequent family moves and learning to interact and develop relationships with new people. Finishing high school, Drew pursued his dream of practicing medicine with pre-med studies at the University of New Brunswick, until he realized it wasn't a dream but a nightmare (mainly because of Biochemistry II). His predilection for non-empirical thinking led him to more incalculable pursuits and to attend Master's College & Seminary in Toronto, Canada, receiving his Bachelor of Theology degree four years later. Drew has been fortunate enough to live and work in such places as Bermuda, Australia and Israel, doing everything from teaching Grade 3, to working in a pen factory, to teaching aerobics, to pulling a rickshaw.

Drew's love of entertainment developed naturally from singing with choirs and playing in church bands. A self-professed "band geek" in high school, he later turned his interests toward helping found a five-man acappella group called "The Mikes". They went on to garner much acclaim in their first professional gig...at the Hilltop Pub & Grill in Fredericton, New Brunswick. After such amazing success, the group felt confident when Holland America Line stepped in, offering to produce the acappella show "The Mikes", which was then featured on the ms Oosterdam for ten months. So began his love of cruising, and it has been a trip ever since! Drew likes to spend his off-time with his nieces and nephew, shopping with his Mom and golfing with his Dad. He looks forward to fulfilling your needs in his role as Cruise Director on the Westerdam and hopes to see you all at the disembarkation talk!

Cruise Director Shane Einspahr

Shane joins you on the sea from the topical land-locked state of Nebraska! After growing up in Lincoln, Nebraska, he attended Doane College, where he played college soccer, and also graduated with degrees in English, History, and Secondary Education. Although he had always wanted to travel, he had never quite made it out of the Midwest, sometimes people ask Shane how a guy from Nebraska ended up on a ship, and he jokes that his parents took him to the 1993 Orange Bowl and were so disappointed that Nebraska lost...they left him in Miami; and that's when he jumped on a ship and started having fun. ..just kidding of course. It was actually during his senior year in college when he took a history course on board a ship that outlined the history of the Caribbean; it was during this on board experience that he decided to pursue a career in the middle of the ocean. Shane first joined the cruise industry as part of the production cast in 2002 and then held the role of Assistant Cruise Director for several years before becoming Cruise Director in 2006. As your Director of Entertainment on board the Westerdam, he invites you to all the events and activities and hopes to see you around the ship!

• 2 months later...

Captain Henk Draper

Henk was born in the beautiful Dutch city of Haarlem, but raised in the more northern city of Groningen, where he resided until moving to America several years ago. As a young boy, Henk was impressed by the stories of his father, who sailed as a Radio Officer between Holland, the Far East and West Africa, and he made the decision early in his life to pursue a career at sea.

In 1980, after attending the famous Dutch Nautical Academy on the island of Terschelling, Henk began his career on cargo ships and oil tankers, working his way through the ranks to Chief Officer. After obtaining his Master’s license, he joined Holland America Line in 1994 and sailed as Second Officer and then Chief Officer on many of the Holland America Line ships, In February 2004, Henk made his first voyage as Captain on the elegant ms Volendam and now continues to enjoy sailing with Holland America’s guests and crew in this capacity.

When not sailing, Henk spends his time between Holland and his favorite place in the United States, the spectacular Pacific Northwest, with his wife Cassie and two sons Maarten and Bart.

HALCaptainHernkDraper2.jpg?t=1209335950

Cruise Director Savannah Rye

Born and raised in Liverpool, Savannah started a singing career at an early age. A few years later she was performing in cabaret venues and theaters throughout the UK, followed by numerous television appearances. Savannah’s singing career then went international where she performed in India, North Africa, America and Europe, This created her passion for travel.

Her cruise ship adventures began in 1998, and in 2000 she joined one of her favorite ships the ‘Empress of Britain’ (known then as the TSS Topaz) as a revue singer and cabaret act and stayed as part of the team for nearly three years. Whilst onboard the Topaz, she moved career direction and incorporated her talents not only as a performer, but as part of the entertainment management team. This was where she reached the ‘dizzy heights of Cruise Director’. She was thrilled to join ms Maasdam as your Cruise Direct[/b]or and hopes you enjoy the ‘world of cruising’ as much as she does.

HALCruiseDirectorSavannahRye.jpg?t=1209336044

Yes, I agree... he's been on 4 of my cruises, I believe, and I like him the best. He shows up places to see what's going on, takes the time to talk to people. A few I have had on board just whisk by, don't speak except when they do a public talk or on the intercom. Doug's my favorite... he can even tell you what ship he saw you on before and when!

Diane

I'm have to agree that Doug Dunnell is a great CD and is extremely personnable and people-oriented, unlike some other CD's I could mention!

I have only been on one cruise where Doug was the CD but hope to meet up with him soon on another HAL cruise.

Valerie:)

• 1 year later...

Captain Vincent Smit

Captain Vincent Smit was born in Amersfoort, the Netherlands on May 23, 1963. At six years of age, Vincent moved with his family to Antwerp, Belgium. At that time, 1969, Antwerp was one of the largest sea ports with many large container ships coming and going to places world wide. As Vincent observed this activity, his curiosity of “where the ships were going” and the desire to be at sea and travel to distant places began to take hold. At the age of 16, Vincent decided to pursue a career at sea that would give him the best of both worlds. After graduating from College he began his career at sea working for Chevron, on board their oil tankers.

In 1992 Vincent started his career with Holland America Line as a Third Officer and worked his way up the ranks to Captain. He was part of the construction and inaugurations of the ms Ryndam, ms Volendam, ms Zaandam and ms Noordam. During his “off time” Captain Smit lives in Eindhoven, the Netherlands with his wife and three children and enjoys hiking and photography.

DSC00317.jpg?t=1241124984

Archived