Berlin from Warnemunde

Mazie

I checked out the new summer train schedule, and my DH and I are going to take a chance. Here's our plan: there is a train that leaves Berlin at 18:10, and gets to Rostock at 20:30. Our ship leaves at 21:30. That will give us 8 hours in Berlin, and an hour pad in case the train runs a little late. We have a friend who lives in Berlin and will be showing us around that day. If we really miss the ship, she'll help us out. We'll get an extra day in Berlin (the next day is an at sea day), and then the following day we'll catch a plane and meet the ship in Helsinki. I know it sounds nutty, but it's a good backup in case the train is cancelled. If we didn't have a local friend, I wouldn't be quite so brave, though.:rolleyes:

I checked out the new summer train schedule, and my DH and I are going to take a chance. Here's our plan: there is a train that leaves Berlin at 18:10, and gets to Rostock at 20:30. Our ship leaves at 21:30. That will give us 8 hours in Berlin, and an hour pad in case the train runs a little late. We have a friend who lives in Berlin and will be showing us around that day. If we really miss the ship, she'll help us out. We'll get an extra day in Berlin (the next day is an at sea day), and then the following day we'll catch a plane and meet the ship in Helsinki. I know it sounds nutty, but it's a good backup in case the train is cancelled. If we didn't have a local friend, I wouldn't be quite so brave, though.:rolleyes:

The new train is a long-distance train which is extended to Rostock from June 10, 2007.

Leaving 18.10 hrs from Berlin Hbf

Arriving 20.30 hrs at Rostock Hbf

Leaving 21.01 hrs from Rostock Hbf

Arriving 21.21 hrs at Warnemünde

You should be exactly at the moment at the gangway when they want to pull it in...

Two tips:

1. If the train is late on the section Berlin-Rostock and you miss the connecting train to Warnemünde: get a cab to catch your ship!!!

2. The connection before is

Leaving 16.41 hrs from Berlin Hbf

Arriving 19.24 hrs at Rostock Hbf

Leaving 19.31 hrs from Rostock Hbf

Arrving 19.51 hrs at Warnemünde

When you check at 15.30 hrs (NOT LATER!!!) in an internet-café

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/bhftafel.exe/en?seqnr=7&ident=9v.0792019.1177215823&newrequest=yes&

and enter JENA PARADIES as departure station and look for the departure of

ICE 1000 at 15.47 hrs towards Rostock you see the real-time-information.

If the train is not delayed more than 20 minutes you have a good realistic chance to make all your connections.

Even if you are know about the delays in advance this will allow you extra time to stay at the sights i/o in the station.

Otherwise if the train is delayed more than 20 minutes or cancelled you have the option now to go back to Berlin Central Station and get the 16.41 hrs connection back to Rostock!

FOR ALL OTHER CRUISERS:

This connection is NOT available on Saturdays!!!

Does not work on the return trip on Schönes Wochenende (Happy Weekend)-Ticket or Ländertickets.

But one trip on Regional Trains from Warnemünde to Berlin still cheaper than the standard ticket to Berlin and back to Warnemünde.

When you are not sure that you will make it (because you might fly to Helsinki):

1. Do not buy the ticket before you are leaving Berlin!!!

Even you are coming last minute and you buy it with the conductor (ONLY ON THIS SPECIFIC CONNECTION!!!) it is only 3 EUR pp more!!!

Credit card accepted.

2. If you are sure that you are not taking the train to Warnemüde because you know that the train is late...

Stay in Berlin because Rostock-Laage airport does not provide any flights to Helsinki. You need to get back to Berlin or Hamburg.

Check with

http://www.flysas.com (nice one-way-tickets available)

http://www.blue1.com (if you buy it now: one-way starts 28 EUR pp)

So it would make too much sense just to go to Warnemünde because you always wanted to make photos of your ship leaving Warnemünde in the night... instead of staying with your friends and go directly from there to Helsinki...

3. For the worst case: The later train is

Leaving 18.41 hrs from Berlin Hbf

Arriving 21.24 hrs at Rostock Hbf

When you are smart enough to call the ship and advise that you are late and you grab a cab at Rostock you might made it until 21.45 hrs.

Regards,

HeinBloed

As previously mentioned here in this thread and in another thread there is an additional long-distance by ICE-high-speed-connection from Warnemünde to Berlin and back

It only works for those cruisers

- who are not going on a Sunday to Berlin (but it would work if you use the Regional trains to Berlin and back with the ICE train).

- who are not going on a Saturday from Berlin (but it would work if you use the Regional trains from Berlin and to Berlin with the ICE train)

- who are able to leave at 6.52 hrs from Warnemünde on Monday to Friday

- who are able to leave at 9.02 hrs from Warnemünde on Saturday only

- who are able to be back at 21.21 hrs at Warnemünde except on Saturday

The connection at 9.02. hrs is a direct non-transfer connection for cruisers leaving Warnemünde and go directly to Berlin 11.48 hrs arrival time.

Ticketing:

It's now somehow complicated because you must differ between Regional train tickets and Long-Distance-Trains ticket.

For those who are going on Regional Trains nothing changed so far:

the cheapest way is to use Ländertickets or Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket (Happy-Weekend-Tickets) as previously described.

Long distance train tickets in ICE-trains are valid in all trains but more expensive even you do not use for one leg the comfort of the ICE-trains.

Therefore there are some tricks to use the trains and to save money:

Section A:

Use of this train in both direction on Monday-Friday.

If you are lucky due to berthing time to use this train connection for both direction the standard fare will be:

46.00 EUR pp and per direction:

Just to compare:

STANDARD FARE / Full Flexibility:

1 person = 92 EUR

2 persons = 184 EUR

5 persons = 460 EUR

If you are able to book min. 3 days in advance the tickets following savings are possible:

Sparpreis 25 / Mitfahrerpreis

(= Saving 25% but 2nd to 5th person get additional 50%)

SAVING FARE / Fixed trains / No Flexibility / Limited seats availabilty - first come first served

1 person = 69 EUR (i/o 92 EUR)

2 persons = 103.50 EUR (i/o 184 EUR)

3 persons = 138 EUR (i/o 276 EUR)

4 persons = 172.50 EUR (i/o 368 EUR)

5 persons = 207 EUR (i/o 460 EUR)

The use of the trains is limited to exact this single connection and only available Monday to Friday (NOT SATURDAY and NOT SUNDAY).

Warnemünde dep 6.52 hrs S

Rostock Hbf arr 7.13 hrs

Rostock Hbf dep 7.28 hrs ICE 1001

Berlin Hbf arr 9.48 hrs

Berlin Hbf dep 18.10 hrs ICE 1000

Rostock Hbf arr 20.30 hrs

Rostock Hbf dep 21.01 hrs S

Warnemünde arr 21.21 hrs

Hbf = Central Station

ICE = High-speed-train ICE

S = Commuter-train

Section B:

Use of this train in one direction.

If you are lucky due to berthing time to use this train connection for one direction the standard fare will be:

46.00 EUR pp and per direction on ICE

33.70 EUR pp and per direction on Regional train

Just to compare:

STANDARD FARE / Full Flexibility:

1 person = 79.70 EUR

2 persons = 159.40 EUR

5 persons = 398.50 EUR

If you are able to book min. 3 days in advance the tickets following savings are possible:

Sparpreis 50 / Mitfahrerpreis

(= Saving 50% but 2nd to 5th person get additional 50%)

SAVING FARE / Fixed trains / No Flexibility / Limited seats availabilty - first come first served

1 person = does not make sense!!!

2 persons = 69 EUR (i/o 92 EUR)

3 persons = 92 EUR (i/o 138 EUR)

4 persons = 115 EUR (i/o 184 EUR)

5 persons = 138 EUR (i/o 230 EUR)+ passes for the other leg to or from Berlin

There is a "trick" to buy this ticket. This are return tickets. So if you want to use the saving tickets you must book your leg + return leg on a day following earliest on a Sunday after your leg!!!

So you go on a Thursday - you must book the return ticket earliest next Sunday.

You see: it's still cheaper than to buy the regular tickets with one leg ICE and one leg Regional trains.

Now the best: for those cruisers who are arriving on Saturday:

Warnemünde dep 09.02 hrs ICE 1003

Berlin Hbf arr 11.48 hrs

Warnemünde - Rostock Hbf has not served by ICE trains before therefore the price is not fixed yet. It might vary about 1-2 EUR pp.

1 person = does not make sense!!!

2 persons = 69 EUR (i/o 92 EUR)+ 33 EUR for Happy-Weekend-Ticket

3 persons = 92 EUR (i/o 138 EUR)+ 33 EUR for Happy-Weekend-Ticket

4 persons = 115 EUR (i/o 184 EUR)+ 33 EUR for Happy-Weekend-Ticket

5 persons = 138 EUR (i/o 230 EUR)+ 33 EUR for Happy-Weekend-Ticket

Now you know the tricks how to get cheap to Berlin and back without paying too much.

Hope you enjoy your trip to Berlin.

Regards,

HeinBloed

HeinBloed, thank you SO much for your help! I will be printing out your posts and taking them with me-they are a wealth of information. One good thing is that my ship is docked in Rostock, so at least I don't have to worry about getting to Warnemunde, too. And if we do miss the ship, the airline fares and schedules to Helsinki are great. I think this plan just might work!:D

If you arrive scheduled (no delay) at 20.30 hrs at Rostock Hbf.

Check for the 20.34 hrs commuter-train to Rostock Seehafen Nord which is opposite of the Pier 41 in the Ferry Terminal area where the CONSTELLATION berth. You should arrive there 20.52 hrs and should be onboard by 21.00 hrs.

Even you take a cab: from Rostock Central Station you need the same time to get to Pier 41 or to Warnemünde!!!

You will not find this connection in the schedule in the internet because the connecting time at Rostock Hbf is less than 5 minutes.

Therefore they will not garantuee that you will get the connection. But 4 minutes should be enough if your train is scheduled!

Good Luck - Have a great cruise -

Have a great time in Berlin -

Willkommen in Deutschland - Welcome to Germany

Regards,

HeinBloed

Knighton, based on my experience docking on the Constellation in Rostock (have docked at Warnemunde on another cruise) and as noted by Heinbloed, your timing will be tight but should be okay. The cab ride from the train station to the ship was at least 15 minutes; from my recollection, it was around 20-25 minutes. I remember this because we were surprised that the train station was so far away from the cruise berths in Rostock, which is unlike Warnemunde. I don't know if the Constellation still has the same captain, but I was shocked at how prompt ours was in 2005. If we were scheduled to leave at 21:00, he was pulling out at 20:55. We are sailing on our 22nd cruise next month (#15 to Europe), and I have never seen anything like it! But since you are due back on board a 1/2 hour prior to sailing, I doubt that they would refuse to let you on if you were 5 minutes late. It sounds like you have a good back-up plan, but I would also advise you to notify the port officials of your plans if you miss the ship because Celebrity will have to report and record your names as having missed the ship to the port officials. The port agents are listed in the daily newsletter.

Have a great cruise,

Donna

Some information for those cruisers using the long-distance trains ICE 1000/1001/1003 Warnemünde - Rostock - Berlin.

If you planning to use one of this trains please note following instructions to find your seats.

You can make reservations

3.50 EUR per seat/person

7.00 EUR per family upto 5 persons

1.50 EUR per seat/person when you book together with train tickets in internet

3.00 EUR per family when you book together with train tickets in the internet

On Friday and Sunday afternoon I would not travel without reservation.

The trains to Berlin starts in Rostock/Warnemünde and should not be too full same with the return train. Most will leave the train in Berlin coming from Munich.

That's the departure and arrival schedules:

Abfahrt = Departure = yellow boards

Ankunft = Arrival = white boards

2007DBDepArr-vi.jpg

When you made a reservation you will find your car number on your reservation slip.

2007DBTrainComposition-vi.jpg

Wagenstandsanzeiger = Train composition plan

Arrow = traffic direction

yellow cars = 1st class

green cars = 2nd class

red cars = restaunrant

blue cars = sleeping cars

On the top you see sections A - F on white letter in blue square. This indicates the location alongside of the platform where you find your car:

2007DBSection-vi.jpg

Here you find the car no. - like here car 27:

2007ICECarNooutside-vi.jpg

This would be a 1st class car no. 27 - non-smoker - supplies repeater for improved cell phone reception of train ICE 224 from Frankfurt to Amsterdam.

When you are in the car look for this display:

2007ICESeatRes-vi.jpg

Seat 21 (window): reserved from Oberhausen to Amsterdam

Seat 23 (aisle): reserved from Frankfurt to Düsseldorf

When I was boarding in Frankfurt I could sit on seat 21 if I am leaving before Oberhausen. But 23 was occupied from Frankfurt.

The reservation disappeared 15 minutes after the start station was left. If another section is reserved on this specific seat the line will be replaced.

When you board in Warnemünde or Rostock look for sections starting in

Warnemünde

Rostock

Neustrelitz

Berlin (low risk - only if someone is boarding Berlin-Gesundbrunnen = 4 minutes ahead of arrival at Berlin Hbf (Central Station))

then this seat will be taken enroute to Berlin.

When you board in Berlin look for sections starting in

Berlin

Neustrelitz

then this seat will be taken enroute to Warnemünde.

There could be following remarks on the display:

Kleinkind = preferred for Families with small childrens or breast feeding mothers

Schwerbehinderte = disables

ggf. freigeben

or last minute

or Express-Reservierung = jump-seat - you can try but must vacate if someone can show you his paid reservation slip

bahn.comfort = preferred for frequent travellers of German Railways - you can try but must vacate if someone can show his bahn.comfort-card

All other seats can be taken!!!

This should ease your travel in this long-distance trains.

German can be very rude if someone is taken their reserved seats...

That's just to avoid.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 1 month later...

One more question for Heinbloed;

I'm going to buy tickets ahead of time online, one way Rostock-Berlin, at standard fare, which they say is flexible. I'm going to buy the ticket for the 8:33 train. If we happen to get to the station in time to get on the 7:27 train (ship docks at 7:00), will they let us board with the ticket for the later train?

And by the way, we're all set to stay in Berlin for the night and fly to Helsinki the next day to beat the ship there. We've got tickets on Blue1 airlines. It's going to be great to spend an extra day in Berlin!

Thanks!

I'm going to buy tickets ahead of time online, one way Rostock-Berlin, at standard fare, which they say is flexible. I'm going to buy the ticket for the 8:33 train. If we happen to get to the station in time to get on the 7:27 train (ship docks at 7:00), will they let us board with the ticket for the later train?

No problem - but you have to pay the difference as the 7.27 hrs train is a long-distance-high-speed train.

If you can manage it to go to the ticket counter at the station and buy it there you have to pay

11.20 EUR pp

for the difference.

You ask for

ICE-Aufpreis Rostock - Berlin

If you cannot manage it to go to the ticket counter you can do it also with the conductor.

Maybe you get a nice conductor than it's 11.20 EUR. If yours is not so nice it could be upto 14.20 EUR.

Sometimes before you board the train and you see the conductor (blue uniform / white shirt / red tie - if he has a red tape around his arm: head conductor) and you explain him that you need to buy a Surcharge for using ICE but had no chance to buy it at the counter, they are nice as well and let you have it for 11.20 EUR only.

You can pay the surcharge by credit card in the train as well.

So have a great time in Berlin.

Good luck to see your ship in Helsinki again.

But do not forget to note the number of the agent in Rostock and tell them that they can go without you - just to avoid extra work for the crew.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 4 weeks later...

Archived