New to Alaska ... Calling all experts ....

wdw_dave

These boards are wonderfull ... they have helped a lot in my cruises to the carribean. I have two adventurous boys, they will be 6 and 7 in 2008 when we are thinking of going to Alaska. I have some questions I am hoping you guys can help me with:

* My sons can not stop talking about cave tubing in Belize last year so my assumption is that there will be lots of outdoor type activities for them to experience in Alaska ... are the cruises good for kids?

* I am a Platinum member with RCCL (going on AOS in a few weeks) so I am partial to them, but I have been on Princess (Grand) sans kids and liked it very much. I have been on Carnival and do not care for them at all. Is there a good place to go to compare the two for Alaska - I am thinking of a cruisetour to Denali. Any sugestions on the two?

* What cruise routes would you recommend? I read a little about the different glaciers but not sure which is the best for a 1st timer.

* I am thinking mid June for our trip ... Is that a good time of year to go?

* Do you usually book the airfare through the cruiseline for Alaska? I never book through them but it seems it might be cheaper (I am now in MA but moving to KS in a couple of months)?

* I read about booking the land part of the trip seperately. I do book a lot of independent tours in the islands and rent cars and such ..... but with Alaska I am thinking taking thier coaches/rrains inland and to thier lodges would be an easier way to go with two kids? How are the experinces with RCCL and Princess and the tours inland post criuse? Are the accomodations high quality?

Any other suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated !!!!

Dave O.

Well expert might be a bit of a stretch, but here're my thoughts::)

There are a multitude of adventures for kids in Alaska! Dogsledding seems high on the list, as does flightseeing and whale watching. Don't expect a ship full of youngsters to be onboard... most sailing are middle-age and up. Our 2 boys have had a great time both Alaskan cruises we've taken, with little involvement in the children programs.

RCI has some nice itineraries, but one round-trip they offer is the worst in my opinion. We've sailed Princess and Carnival in Alaska. Princess is our favorite by far.

Since you plan one-way, I'd take the opportunity to enjoy 2 glacier sailings. Most all one-way itineraries offer Glacier Bay or Hubbard in addition to College Fjord; Carnival and Celebrity being exceptions. Tracy Arm is another glacier area... very beautiful inlet sailing, but the glacier themselves aren't quite as dramatic as the other offerings.

You mention cruisetour. Perhaps you might rethink that and rent an RV?

I question kids enjoying the structure of a cruisetour and the RV would allow plenty of 'wiggle' space plus the benefit of traveling on your own terms, stopping where you wish. We had an RV this past summer and had a fabulous time. The fridge is always available as is the 'necessary room'.;) We enjoy campfire cooking, and have spent years traveling with a tent. The RV was a nice change!!! I believe you'd find an RV rental less expensive than paying a cruisetour for 4, also. It's a nice change to go from the luxury of cruising to the simplicity of RVing. We had a great rental from http://www.greatalaskanholidays.com/ . You still have an option of riding the train for a transfer... something the kids usually enjoy.

I don't book airfare through the cruiselines (exception our upcoming Caribbean cruise, same price). It's been cheaper for us to fly Tulsa/Seattle/Anchorage than it is to fly Tulsa/Vancouver/Anchorage even though we sail Vancouver. Amtrak makes for a nice fairly inexpensive Seattle/Vancouver transfer. Nice enough that I look at it as an excursion as well as a transfer.

We've sailed late May and early/mid June. I prefered June simply because we had great views that time of year for the Klondike Highway out of Skagway. Late May still had too much snow to see the landscape this year.

Have fun planning. This Alaska forum is priceless!

These boards are wonderfull ... they have helped a lot in my cruises to the carribean. I have two adventurous boys, they will be 6 and 7 in 2008 when we are thinking of going to Alaska. I have some questions I am hoping you guys can help me with:

* My sons can not stop talking about cave tubing in Belize last year so my assumption is that there will be lots of outdoor type activities for them to experience in Alaska ... are the cruises good for kids?

* I am a Platinum member with RCCL (going on AOS in a few weeks) so I am partial to them, but I have been on Princess (Grand) sans kids and liked it very much. I have been on Carnival and do not care for them at all. Is there a good place to go to compare the two for Alaska - I am thinking of a cruisetour to Denali. Any sugestions on the two?

* What cruise routes would you recommend? I read a little about the different glaciers but not sure which is the best for a 1st timer.

* I am thinking mid June for our trip ... Is that a good time of year to go?

* Do you usually book the airfare through the cruiseline for Alaska? I never book through them but it seems it might be cheaper (I am now in MA but moving to KS in a couple of months)?

* I read about booking the land part of the trip seperately. I do book a lot of independent tours in the islands and rent cars and such ..... but with Alaska I am thinking taking thier coaches/rrains inland and to thier lodges would be an easier way to go with two kids? How are the experinces with RCCL and Princess and the tours inland post criuse? Are the accomodations high quality?

Any other suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated !!!!

Dave O.

* Kids will find lots of active things to do. We traveled with a couple of teens and they loved the rock climbing. There is also kayaking, biking, hiking, dog sled rides -- your kids will love it. Can you keep up??;)

* We are platinum on both RCI and Princess. Princess is usually our choice for Alaska. They have a lot of advantages there. But check out both and compare.

* First time -- Glacier Bay, without question. It is a World Heritage Site and deserves it!

* We have been to Alaska everywhere from May to Sept and they are all good! The weather is chancy anytime -- you take what you get.

* Alaska airfare is a bit complicated -- especially if you do a one way trip and need open jaw air. A good full service TA can compare cruiseline air to independent air and help you get the best.

I know you will love Alaska! We are heading for our seventh Alaska cruise this summer! Check our page below for several Alaska trip reports and lots of pics.

Archived