Camp Carnival on Miracle-Caveat Emptor

minxkelly

We just returned from the dec 3-10 sailing on the Miracle and among other snafus like no soap for 3 days, a steward who could barely understand english, not getting our sharp's containers for our diabetes supplies until evening day 2 (after 4 phone calls) and dinner servers who never even once got our entire meal correct as ordered, was Camp Carnival's misleading information regarding babysitting hours.

Orientation was during our dinner and the next day I went straight there to find out what I needed to know to use after hour babysitting. I filled out a paper, and was told it was available 10p-3a. What no one told me until the night of our 15th anniversary celebration was that at 10:15 if no one has signed that day's sign-up sheet then they send the babysitter away for the night. At 11p I was all dressed and ready to drop off my toddler (already asleep and in his stroller) and was met with rudeness and no understanding. They kept quoting the "procedure manual" which I pointed out guests have no access to. The information they kept quoting was nowhere in the CC capers and wasn't told to me even when I requested info on how to use the babysitters. I would still not blame CC if I hadn't gone to the effort of inquiring and asking specifically "what do I need to know/do to use the babysitters?"

The director of CC was useless, less than polite and certainly unsympathetic for having ruined my anniversary celebration. I spent the night all dressed up in my cabin alone with my son while hubby went to the midnight buffet and the shows without me. The director said she memo'd corporate to get the info added to capers telling folks of the advance notice required, but that does me no good as I doubt Carnival will ever get my business again. We were a nice sized group cruising together, 4 suites + our balcony cabin, my whole family traveling together, and I just was singularly unimpressed with their level of (dis)service and (un)professionalism.

Colleen

Just wondering...if there was such a snafu with CC and there was not a babysitter available, why didn't one of the family members you were traveling with offer to watch your son that evening so you and your dh could go celebrate your Anniversary?:confused: If that had been me, I would have asked....no, begged someone to babysit for us so our celebration wouldn't have been ruined. Sorry you had such a terrible experience and I hope you were able to celebrate your Anniversary at a later time.

Barb

Just wondering...if there was such a snafu with CC and there was not a babysitter available, why didn't one of the family members you were traveling with offer to watch your son that evening so you and your dh could go celebrate your Anniversary?:confused: If that had been me, I would have asked....no, begged someone to babysit for us so our celebration wouldn't have been ruined. Sorry you had such a terrible experience and I hope you were able to celebrate your Anniversary at a later time.

Barb

Because of my multiple siblings there 2 of the other couples were celebrating their own anniversaries (5yrs and 10 yrs) and my other sister was already AT the shows so I knew radios would already be turned off. As for the teenagers, well, they had no radios and were already off doing their own things. We haven't made our special date happen yet, but maybe after Christmas. I guess what I really wanted was a simple apology. There is nothing like being all dolled up in dancing shoes and a glitzy dress only to sit in your cabin alone with a sleeping baby. I love cuddling my son of course, but it isn't as fun as cuddling my hubby. :)

Colleen

Really? How old is your "toddler"....age 2 yet? On the Elation (sailed 11/30-12/4) we dropped off our 2 year old every night after dinner and she stayed there until 11pm every night until I went and dragged her out. And it was filled with kids, absolutly filled. They had a "slumber party" for the kids every night till 3am.

I noticed the one BIG thing about camp carnival is how unorganized they were with us. We would read the caper, plan to go to an adult activity, then attempt to drop the kids off and they would say "Oh, this hour is for under 2" and when I would point out the Kid's caper talking about a special activity for the 2-5 and 6-8 year old group they would tell me that it was a misprint. :rolleyes: So THEN we would have to miss what we had planned to do.

And the BIGGEST pet peeved I had with Carnival was the way they stared at the clock. They would have kids "formal night" at the Lido deck at 7pm...and of course, our dinner was at 5:45pm...so I would eat dinner and get the kids some fruit to tide them over till 7pm. Then I started to walk up to the Lido deck at 6:50pm....they were all set up for the kids. And when I asked the camp counselor if I could sign my daughters in, the answer...."No...it's not 7pm yet." So I said "No problem, we'll wait". Well she stood there STARING at us and her watch until it hit EXACTLY 7pm, then she said "Ok they can sign in now" :rolleyes: I mean, come on, all she had to do was just stand there and watch us till 7pm?????? She could have cut me some slack and take the kids a minute or 2 early. Especially while my poor server was holding dinner for me in the dining room.

THEN, I asked the one camp counselor how long the "Children's Christmas Show" would be...his answer...2 hours! I said "How is a 2 year old going to sit on stage for 2 hours" He said "Oh I don't know". Well it turned out that the show was an hour (maybe less) and the counselor was wrong.

Now I know I am complaining alot...but my kids did really love that place. And that says alot since this wasn't their first cruise. They had a blast so I guess that's all that matters.

Sorry your night was ruined.

Hopefully you put on your comment card that the Camp Carnival orientation should be held at a time other than dinner (or more than one orientation as Princess does). In fact, I seem to remember that orientation attendance is required for participation. I haven't been on Carnival for four years but I'm guessing that the info such as advanced signups would be mentioned. maybe Princess is better at communicating this. The cruiseline should not assume passengers know these things, especially if they are first-time cruisers.

Really? How old is your "toddler"....age 2 yet? On the Elation (sailed 11/30-12/4) we dropped off our 2 year old every night after dinner and she stayed there until 11pm every night until I went and dragged her out. And it was filled with kids, absolutly filled. They had a "slumber party" for the kids every night till 3am.

Sorry your night was ruined.

Thanks,

our son missed his 2nd bday deadline by about 3 1/2 weeks. There were a few other toddlers onboard with us including my nephew who just turned 2 about 2 months back. There were 4 other toddlers exactly Tripp's age who turned 2 within a few weeks of the end of the cruise. :) we all commisserated with each other. I just wish the needed info had been spelled out either in the capers, in the printed sheet we got on entering the ship for 2-5 yr olds, or told to me in person when I asked about it.

For Cruisin Chick, I sure did mention it all on the comment card and on the note I left for the CC director that was so cold and unprofessional to us. Her only comment (no apology) was that she sent off a memo to corporate to suggest the sign-up info be added to the capers and not just told to staff/listed in the employee procedural manual.

Happy Holidays everyone

Colleen

Archived