Coconuts or Carlos & Charlie's?

fullofquestions

My husband and I are going on Carnival Glory in a few weeks...deciding what to do in Cozumel. We're not huge water-sport people, and don't want to just sit in the sun all day. We're thinking about just getting in a taxi and exploring the island...wondering if people had ideas about eating at Coconuts or Carlos & Charlie's? I've heard good things about both. Any other ideas for where to visit on the island?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I've never been to Coconuts, but I've been to Carlos 'n' Charlies a couple times and plan on going back in Febuary on my cruise. Everyone of all ages has fun there. I'm almost 22, so I'm quite young, but most of the people I go with on cruises are older and have a BLAST! It's a great atmosphere. We first heard about it when some of the crew told us it was a good place to eat and drink, so we checked it out and now were hooked! They sell "liters" (the rum punch is my fav) and you only need one or 1 1/2 and you'll be stumblin back to the ship, so be careful how much you drink, if you do! And if you don't, its still fun and I'm sure its hilarious to see drunk people dance. There's also a lot of shopping around Carlos 'n' Charlies. The first time we went there, my friend and I didn't make it to dinner (we fell asleep and didn't wake up until 9!) The next night, our matr'de(?) came around and asked us if we had a fun time at Carlos n Charlies. (I guess he was there and saw us havin' fun, haha). The shopping is pretty good too and there's a lot.

The only other place I've been in Cozumel is to Playa del Sol (now Playa Mia, I guess) and it's okay, but very crowded. We are planning on going snorkeling before we shop and go to Carlos 'n' Charlies on our next cruise. I hope you have a BLAST with whatever you choose!

Do both! Rent a jeep (convertible is a must!), or take taxi around the island (one road very easy) stop in at Coconuts (food is good), and also some of the other beach bars on the wild side. End up your day at Carlos & Charlies (we drop our rental off before we do CC's for some comraderie with the loud and rowdy cruise ship passengers. The day will be perfect. That was our perfect Cozumel day 10 years ago and whenever we have Cozumel as a port we do the same. We also fell in love with the island and go once a year for a week. Have a great time.

P.S. If you end up going just to Carlos & Charlies try eating somewhere else for lunch. There are a so many good restaurants around town, I'd hate to see you miss a really great meal. (No offense ment to CC's, but it isn't anything special)

We went to Carlos 'n' Charlies when we stopped in Cozumel and this place is CRAZY! It's really fun though. We ended up eating there because we didn't have time to find the place where we really wanted to go. The food was good though and we had a ton of fun while there.

The restaurant we wanted to go to that came HIGHLY recommended from some people on the ship was Pancho's Backyard. Hope to hit it the next time we make it to Cozumel.

We will be in Cozumel, Feb 14. We were thinking of renting a jeep. Have you had any problems in the past with the vehicles, or problems with the police etc.?:eek: Do you buy the insurance? Which rental place do you use, and is it walking distance from the pier? So many questions:confused: We would love to see the eastern side of the island and visit the bars/restaurants on our own time.

Thanks for the info.:p

We will be in Cozumel, Feb 14. We were thinking of renting a jeep. Have you had any problems in the past with the vehicles, or problems with the police etc.?
Just be sure to wear your seat belts and do not drink and drive. If you are driving in town, just take it cautiously. The rental place will tell you about where not to park in town. I usually park a couple of blocks away from the water front and away from the Plaza and walk.

Do you buy the insurance?
ABSOLUTELY

Which rental place do you use, and is it walking distance from the pier?
I was very happy renting a car thru http://www.cozumelinsider.com They will be able to tell you which car rental place is near where you ship docks.

We will be in Cozumel, Feb 14. We were thinking of renting a jeep. Have you had any problems in the past with the vehicles, or problems with the police etc.?:eek: Do you buy the insurance? Which rental place do you use, and is it walking distance from the pier? So many questions:confused: We would love to see the eastern side of the island and visit the bars/restaurants on our own time.

Thanks for the info.:p

we are also going to be in coz on valentines day, Star Princess, Western Caribbean, and i have not been there yet, but have done some research.

i am renting a jeep from avis to drive the island and go to coconuts on the other side for lunch. the insurance is a MUST. from what i have gathered, Avis is about a mile from the pier, but there are also rental companies at the pier trying to get your business. at avis.com, you don't need your credit card to reserve a car, so i reserved it, but if i can get a better deal at the pier, then i will take it. there are also cabs that can take you to avis from the ship.

just be careful not to have too many cervezas at lunch. i hear that you don't want to get pulled over for a DUI in mexico.

We went to Senor Frogs (around the corner and upstairs from Charlies) Same atmosphere as CC and the food was fantastic - fahitas (sic?) DH and I ordered the plate for two and couldn't finish it. We did however, finish our margurietas - yum. We also went on the Atlantis submarine excursion - absolutely wonderful!! It's a place I would return to in a minute!! And shop my heart out!!

We went to C&C the last time we were in Cozumel had a blast! going back in April with the DH and her friends for Spring Break. First stop is Paradise Beach then some shopping and the icing on the trip will be C&C.

We will be doing the cab thing. After reading some of the threads I'm to chicken!

Enjoy your trip,

burnsie

Hey Ocean Paradise, we will be in Coz for Valentine's week. Maybe will see you at Coconuts!

We rent cars with our American Airlines Advantage Credit Card, which includes insurance coverage on rentals. In fact, we dented the fender last time we were in Coz and it was covered my them. So, check to see what your credit card co. covers before you go. We usually rent from Avis.

Pancho's Backyard does have excellent food and margaritas!

Archived