Early arrival - checking in - POH

POHherewecome!

Our flight arrives at 6.45 am on the day we are expected to start our cruise on the POH. Obviously, they wont let us board. But will they allow us to check our luggage in or even check in without getting on the ship, so we can at least go off for a while and explore Honolulu?

If not, any suggestions where we can leave our baggage? We are only booked n at a hotel after the cruise.

Are you on the Christmas Day POH cruise???? We're flying in late afternoon on the 25th so I guess we'll miss the lifeboat drill - that sure won't spoil my day!!! I printed the Freestyle off line so I know what will probably happen hour by hour. Everything seems to open at noon - so that would tell me they expect passengers on board by then. Mary Ellen from Madison, WI

Are you on the Christmas Day POH cruise???? We're flying in late afternoon on the 25th so I guess we'll miss the lifeboat drill - that sure won't spoil my day!!! I printed the Freestyle off line so I know what will probably happen hour by hour. Everything seems to open at noon - so that would tell me they expect passengers on board by then. Mary Ellen from Madison, WI

Hi jestme

I am so new to this so I am wondering what Freestyle you printed. Please let me know where you find it because I'd also like to print it. It sounds very useful!

We are going on January 15th.

I didn't know there'd be a program that starts so early.

I had visions of walking around China Town and I promised my daughter, aged 11, we'd go look at Macy's while we were waiting to board. We are from Australia and somehow she's heard about Macy's and wants to see what they have. She's watched too much American TV, I suspect.

But we can always do this after the cruise.

Hi jestme

I am so new to this so I am wondering what Freestyle you printed. Please let me know where you find it because I'd also like to print it. It sounds very useful!

We are going on January 15th.

I didn't know there'd be a program that starts so early.

I had visions of walking around China Town and I promised my daughter, aged 11, we'd go look at Macy's while we were waiting to board. We are from Australia and somehow she's heard about Macy's and wants to see what they have. She's watched too much American TV, I suspect.

But we can always do this after the cruise.

Nothing really happens the first afternoon of boarding. One dining room will be open as well as the buffet. You can of course roam the ship.

Drop your luggage of about 11:30 at the pier - Go to China Town and Macys both close to the ship terminal. In addition visit the State Capitol and Iolani Palace also within walking distance of the pier. Enjoy that area of Honolulu, see the sights and go on board the ship late afternoon when the crowds will be down.

Don't worry if you miss the lifeboat drill -- because you will still be required to attend one at a later time - Missing the scheduled drill does not exclude one from still attending. We were on the POH in October and there was an additional lifeboat drill for those who missed the scheduled one.

Don't pack any liquor in your luggage as the bags get Xrayed and if they see bottles they but your luggae in a holding area on the ship and you have to go and retrieve it --- minus the alcohol. The alcohol is returned but not until the cruise is over.

We have been on several cruises and in many different ports none compare to Honolulu for quick access to very nice part of town that has stores such as Macys, Price Busters, Longs, Ross, and the many shops of China Town and Aloha Tower Market Place. Not to mention the tourist attractions within walking distance.

Don & Beth

Nothing really happens the first afternoon of boarding. One dining room will be open as well as the buffet. You can of course roam the ship.

Drop your luggage of about 11:30 at the pier - Go to China Town and Macys both close to the ship terminal. In addition visit the State Capitol and Iolani Palace also within walking distance of the pier. Enjoy that area of Honolulu, see the sights and go on board the ship late afternoon when the crowds will be down.

Don't worry if you miss the lifeboat drill -- because you will still be required to attend one at a later time - Missing the scheduled drill does not exclude one from still attending. We were on the POH in October and there was an additional lifeboat drill for those who missed the scheduled one.

Don't pack any liquor in your luggage as the bags get Xrayed and if they see bottles they but your luggae in a holding area on the ship and you have to go and retrieve it --- minus the alcohol. The alcohol is returned but not until the cruise is over.

We have been on several cruises and in many different ports none compare to Honolulu for quick access to very nice part of town that has stores such as Macys, Price Busters, Longs, Ross, and the many shops of China Town and Aloha Tower Market Place. Not to mention the tourist attractions within walking distance.

Don & Beth

Enjoyed your response. Wld appreciate it if u wld answer a some questions for me.

We will be packing 1 large suitcase each and a carryone case with wheels. Are u permitted to leave your bags at the pier and the carryons as well or cld we leave the bags at the pier -go onboard with our carryons, leave them in our cabin then go ashore for awhile. What time are we permitted access to our cabins?

What time are u permitted to board the POH when the departure time is 8 pm?

Do u know when u shld book the alternative restaurants and how do u do it?

Cld u recommend the best alternative restaurants for food and service?

Do u know what the 'suite' amenities are besides the 'butler' service?

Have u been in an AD or AE category cabin - wld u happen to know what size they are and the balcony size also? Wld u recommend them?

I apologize for so many questions but never having cruised NCL before I need all the help I can get. Please feel free to add any comments on anything u think I might find helpful..

Many thanks in advance & happy cruisin'!

Enjoyed your response. Wld appreciate it if u wld answer a some questions for me.

We will be packing 1 large suitcase each and a carryone case with wheels. Are u permitted to leave your bags at the pier and the carryons as well or cld we leave the bags at the pier -go onboard with our carryons, leave them in our cabin then go ashore for awhile. What time are we permitted access to our cabins? Carry on you will need to take with you or board the ship early and leave at the pursers desk then go back ashore. Cabins we got to about 1:30 pm. Boarded about 12:00 pm. I had a carry on and asked if I could place it in my cabin but that was not possible. Was told that I could leave it at the pursers desk---opted not to as it was my laptop.

We went on about 12:00

Do u know when u shld book the alternative restaurants and how do u do it? Most alternative restaurants you can easily book the afternoon you board or early the next morning. At one side of the pursers desk each day someone is there. Also you can call in a reservation.

We enjoyed the spagetti house and the tapas -- Our favorite was tapas, both tapas and the spagettin house do not cost additional to eat in

Sorry no! We like to cruise a lot and figure the less we spend on a cabin the more we can cruise so we don't book suites.

Have u been in an AD or AE category cabin - wld u happen to know what size they are and the balcony size also? Wld u recommend them?

The sizes and diagrams can be found on the NCL website - would I recommend them of course to those who want them. For us no because it would mean less cruises.

I apologize for so many questions but never having cruised NCL before I need all the help I can get. Please feel free to add any comments on anything u think I might find helpful..

Rent a car - rent a car - particulary Kauai, & Maui & Hilo. While the ships tours are available renting a car will provide more flexibility and you can stop and talk to the locals who will be more than happy to share where to go and what to see. Kona you can also rent a car but perhaps take a ships tour. Research before you go and know what you want to see. For example in Hilo don't miss the Volcano National Park -- Kauai don't miss the Waimea Canyon -- Maui -- not our favorite island so from my standpoint I could miss the entire island however that aside Haleakala sunrise is great. If you are advertourous ride a bike down from Haleakala.

Oahu - drive around the island, see the north shore, blow hole, the great surf spots that you have heard of. Stop at the shrimp trucks for lunch and Matsumotos in Halewia for shave ice.

We will be packing 1 large suitcase each and a carryone case with wheels. Are u permitted to leave your bags at the pier and the carryons as well or cld we leave the bags at the pier -go onboard with our carryons, leave them in our cabin then go ashore for awhile. What time are we permitted access to our cabins? Carry on you will need to take with you or board the ship early and leave at the pursers desk then go back ashore. Cabins we got to about 1:30 pm. Boarded about 12:00 pm. I had a carry on and asked if I could place it in my cabin but that was not possible. Was told that I could leave it at the pursers desk---opted not to as it was my laptop.

We went on about 12:00

Do u know when u shld book the alternative restaurants and how do u do it? Most alternative restaurants you can easily book the afternoon you board or early the next morning. At one side of the pursers desk each day someone is there. Also you can call in a reservation.

We enjoyed the spagetti house and the tapas -- Our favorite was tapas, both tapas and the spagettin house do not cost additional to eat in

Sorry no! We like to cruise a lot and figure the less we spend on a cabin the more we can cruise so we don't book suites.

The sizes and diagrams can be found on the NCL website - would I recommend them of course to those who want them. For us no because it would mean less cruises.

Rent a car - rent a car - particulary Kauai, & Maui & Hilo. While the ships tours are available renting a car will provide more flexibility and you can stop and talk to the locals who will be more than happy to share where to go and what to see. Kona you can also rent a car but perhaps take a ships tour. Research before you go and know what you want to see. For example in Hilo don't miss the Volcano National Park -- Kauai don't miss the Waimea Canyon -- Maui -- not our favorite island so from my standpoint I could miss the entire island however that aside Haleakala sunrise is great. If you are advertourous ride a bike down from Haleakala.

Oahu - drive around the island, see the north shore, blow hole, the great surf spots that you have heard of. Stop at the shrimp trucks for lunch and Matsumotos in Halewia for shave ice.

Your reply and advice is most gratefully received - many thanks for sharing!!

Archived