Last cruise w/X for us

m steve

Well, I guess its all about attitude. For us, we could care less about TV schedules on a ship because we hardly ever spend any time in our cabin watching TV (why leave home). As to noise from above, most experienced cruisers have learned to carefully choose a cabin based on whats above, below and around...and this is true on all ships. Typically, the most expensive cabins on on the higher decks and subject to more noise (which is why we usually book cheaper better located cabins). As to entertainment and food, we do totally agree. Unfortunately, we have not found it much better on the other mass market cruise lines (we took 6 cruises last year). So, your option are to spend a lot more money and go on Crystal, Regent, etc (they are great) or accept that X and the other mass market cruise lines all have their issues, but its still a heck of bang for the buck.

Hank

Well said.

Think before you cruise.

Steve's big bone of contention before he left for his most recent cruise was that Celebrity had added a $ 25.00 corkage fee for wines. He didn't like not being about to bring his own booze on board also.

He was in a snit about it and that is why it is no surprise that he didn't enjoy his cruise.

I do think that his complaints here were very trivial- other than the comment about the food, which I believe. I have never felt that Celebrity food is like fine dining. It is good but mass produced. Somehow I manage to find plenty to eat though!

It sounds like Steve might enjoy Oceania. They allow you to bring your own alcohol on board. They don't allow smoking as a rule- except for on one outside deck.

Steve has outgrown Celebrity and that's ok. He has valid reasons for abandoning ship. I don't share his concerns but I probably have my own pet peeves.

corkage fees - from what I can determine, it only applies to bottles of wine that you bring on the ship and don't purchase through Celebrity. From what I can see on the Celebrity site, you can bring on two bottles and you can have other people send you bottles to your state room. If you want to use those bottles in public areas or at the bar, then and only then you pay the corkage fee. If you open and drink in your stateroom, then no corkage fee applies.

Is my interpretation correct? Just wondering as I am new to cruising and getting somewhat confused by this discussion.

It sounds like Steve might enjoy Oceania. They allow you to bring your own alcohol on board. They don't allow smoking as a rule- except for on one outside deck.

Oceania charges a corkage fee as well. I have been told $25 by the line itself but posters indicate $20.

There is a lot of truth in the statement that we can all outgrow a particular lines as our tastes and needs change. It is also quite possible to outgrow cruising altogether..

m steve, there are so many options great options out there for vacation that are not cruises. I hope you find one that suits you.

I was being sincere when I said I hope steve finds a cruiseline he enjoys. as you can see our next cruise is not on celebrity. We have even sailed on the dreaded Carnival line and....We enjoyed it. EAch cruiseline offers different experiences, Not all good, not all bad ,just different. I knew Steve was having issues with Celebrity prior to his cruise and assuming he is human I'm sure They had some influence on how he felt about his most recent cruise. I have had my own issues. Not every celebrity cruise is the same. I have enjoyed some more than others. I was in no way attacking Steve. enough said. Money talks. If you are unhappy with one cruiseline you can book another. Isn't it great that there are so many choices.

I have learned in the short time that I have been a member of cc to take everything I read with a big grain of salt. Some people like to complain a lot, especially about Celebrity. Food is so very subjective like others have said. I am so looking forward to not having to cook for two weeks that the food would have to be horrible for me to complain. msteve has had some big issues with Celebrity, in particular that they won't let him bring his wine cellar aboard. Anything that makes someone so unhappy that they have to write repeated posts about it would totally ruin your vacation. I have learned a lot from cc, but it also has made me want to try other lines. We have sailed on 3 now and we enjoyed all our cruises. I hope msteve can find another line he likes better. It seemed that a lot of the other lines were also restricting alcohol. I also know that this will sound strange to some people but the best food we have ever had in the dining room was on Carnival. Each line has pros and cons but so far Celebrity wins with us because they don't cram people on the ship and they don't make announcements over the loudspeakers every 5 minutes.

corkage fees - from what I can determine, it only applies to bottles of wine that you bring on the ship and don't purchase through Celebrity. From what I can see on the Celebrity site, you can bring on two bottles and you can have other people send you bottles to your state room. If you want to use those bottles in public areas or at the bar, then and only then you pay the corkage fee. If you open and drink in your stateroom, then no corkage fee applies.

Is my interpretation correct? Just wondering as I am new to cruising and getting somewhat confused by this discussion.

Yes, you are correct. I don't share in Steve's concerns about Celebrity. Just that he is entitled to his opinion and his right to jump ship.

I love Celebrity and think it is the best vacation value out there.

Like RebeccaLouise said, this is correct. For now. They've changed back and forth and back again lately, and I'm not entirely sure this policy will stick, but we'll see.

They've changed back and forth and back again lately.

They had one policy which I thought had been the same for a number of years & which they recently changed. Why do you say that "they've changed back and forth and back again?"

I think Celebrity is the best of the mass-market lines (even if they make me smoke my fine (ie. expensive) cigars outside.)

I would say that HAL is a very close second (subjective opinion)

I just had my Regent Voyager cruise cancelled because of dreaded POD ills, so, I will try that line when I get the cancelled cruise rescheduled.

Of course Celebrity is no Regent, nor would I expect it to be.

Regent is four times as expensive as Celebrity, but I doubt it will be four times better---just different. That is why I cruise different lines.

Rich :cool:

They had one policy which I thought had been the same for a number of years & which they recently changed. Why do you say that "they've changed back and forth and back again?"

During that change-over period, there was at the very least a lot of confusion and misinformation. First it was NO alcohol could be brought aboard, including wine. Then, they raised the corkage fee (which made no sense if wine couldn't be brought aboard). Then they sent out e-mails saying that although it was technically against the rules to bring wine aboard, they had increased the corkage because they knew people would bring it aboard anyway. Finally, they reached the 2-bottles-per-cabin (I think) policy. Who knows if that will remain... Tomorrow, they could institute a policy whereby they have a random lottery drawing and some passengers can bring nothing while others can bring as much as they want. The day after, they may implement something banning Listerine or Purell or Off insect repellent because they contain alcohol... I stopped expecting rationality with regard to this line and this issue several months ago...

Many thanks. I have been learning quite alot from the boards. If I listened to all the complaints I would never cruise. If I listened to all the raves I would be kicking myself in the behind for not cruising every year. Like all stories, there is the speaker's interpretation, the others' interpretation and then the real truth. I am glad that everyone posts their opinions as I can get a real grasp of what to expect. We are going into our first cruise expecting a wonderful vacation. It is what you make it. We plan to make it a great vacation. We looked at many cruise lines and there was not a single one that was a perfect match that we could afford. We picked Celebrity because we think it is the best fit for our first cruise.

Bon Voyage everyone, have great cruises. 5 days and counting for us

During that change-over period, there was at the very least a lot of confusion and misinformation.

They implemented the change to their policy and due to an uproar from CC'ers, they made further changes in an effort to compromise. The details of the policy change were quickly worked out and posted on their website.

They implemented the change to their policy and due to an uproar from CC'ers, they made further changes in an effort to compromise. The details of the policy change were quickly worked out and posted on their website.

Depends on your definition of "quickly", but I guess you're right. I do know that for at least a month or two, there was a ton of confusion where what was posted on their website and what information was given by customer service reps was very much in conflict...

On my Volendam cruise last month a gentleman at dinner bragged that he had broughht a whole case of wine onboard-- for an 11 day cruise.

I guess he drank alot in his cabin or his corkage fees must have been huge !!!!

Rich:cool:

We brought a case for a week long cruise on HAL. A bottle with dinner each evening (more if we dined with others) and some in our cabin.

The corkage is very reasonable and IMO a case for 11 days is not "alot":).

I think Celebrity is the best of the mass-market lines (even if they make me smoke my fine (ie. expensive) cigars outside.)

I would say that HAL is a very close second (subjective opinion)

I just had my Regent Voyager cruise cancelled because of dreaded POD ills, so, I will try that line when I get the cancelled cruise rescheduled.

Of course Celebrity is no Regent, nor would I expect it to be.

Regent is four times as expensive as Celebrity, but I doubt it will be four times better---just different. That is why I cruise different lines.

I also had my December honeymoon cruised on Regent cancelled due to pod problems.:(

Our November cruise on Century in a CC class cabin was 250 per day per diem. 171 sq ft. We racked up another $500 in wine, dining, drinks, etc. for four days.

Our Regent cruise was 400 per day per person per diem, inclusive of all tips, wine with dinner, full bar set up, water and soft drinks.

351 sq ft in the minimum suite, which is what we booked.

The difference in price was modest and, based on past experience with both lines, the difference in everything else is substantial.

That being said, X offers a good value, though IMRE the differences between X and the other mass market lines is less obvious now than it was a few years ago.

I found HAL to be a great experience overall.

What is really bothersome on these boards is the attitude of some when it comes to any post that includes negativity.

Recently there has been a pattern of repetitive negative posts by a select few CCer's, resulting in this Sticky by Host Laura: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=452177

I am not indicating that the label of "repetitive negative poster" applies to any poster on this thread, but rather just wanted to address your comment re "attitude of some when it comes to any post that includes negativity".

The repetitive negative posts have resulted in more of a reaction from regular CCer's (and I admit that I am guilty of reacting to these posts as I find exaggeration of criticism questionable and unnecessary.)

Caviargirl posted: That being said, X offers a good value, though IMRE the differences between X and the other mass market lines is less obvious now than it was a few years ago.

I agree. The mass-market ships, X included, are so similar in style and substance it makes sense they paint their hulls different colors or else

one would not recognze them.

I would suggest that you read the first part of the thread started by SteveM, who was stating his opinion of his cruise.

I read it and having followed his posts prior to his cruise, was not surprised by his criticism.

He was greeted with a warm "See Ya" by one poster and jumped on by several other posters, who as you said are CCer's that objected to the criticism.

These other posters had also noted Steve's posts prior to his cruise.

Many of these same posters, certainly no one on this thread, have been jumping in mass to protect Celebrity, on every poster who has had a problem, no matter how serious the problem might have been

Sorry, you lost me there when you said, "Many of these same posters, certainly no one on this thread." (If they are the same posters, then they are on this thread:confused: )

I don't think it's a matter of "jumping in mass to protect Celebrity" but more of a reaction to the unnecessary repetition of negative posts.

And just want to add that one thing that I find very puzzling is the number of new posters who zero in on the negatives .... they have not even had these experiences themselves but jump on someone else's bandwagon to proclaim what an awful experience the problem caused and to warn other potential clients of the problems.

Perhaps if posters concerns were not immediately dismissed by the staunch supporters of Celebrity there would not be a need for repeating our concerns. For your information there are those of us out here who perhaps like Celebrity alot and with a little criticism and input from bad experiences have the intent of improving the product for all existing, new and future cruisers.

What were your bad experiences? .... sorry to repeat what I said in my post above, but one thing that I find very puzzling is the number of new posters who zero in on the negatives .... they have not even had these experiences themselves but jump on someone else's bandwagon to proclaim what an awful experience the problem caused and to warn other potential clients of the problems.

We all get tainted with expectations. Its human nature.

We also all have different 'standards' based on these expectations. ( now when I say standards I don't mean a specific class, or income level...but more of a comfort level based on likes and dis-likes ).

I have been on cruises that at the time I considered them the BEST I have ever taken, and I have been on cruises that were NOT up to my expectations, or even near them....both the negatives and the positives were on the same lines. In one instance I vowed to never travel a different line because of the PERFECT experience, then having a REALLY bad experience on the same line I vowed to NEVER cruise them again based on my dissapointment...

Well in both cases, time allowed me to mellow and I sat back and realistically looked back. What I found is that nothing is ever perfect, we all have different perspectives on what we should get when we spend our hard earned money, and there are so many different ideas of what a 'perfect' cruise is that NO cruise can be perfect to all passengers.

And I like many have reacted either overly positive or negatively immediately after ending my trips....but in time, as I said things tend to mellow.

So OP, thanks for your view on your experiences on this last cruise, but try to imagine that it was possibly an isolated incidence. and for the flamers, try to realize that not everything is acceptable to everyone ALL the time, and we all have our bad experiences and have to let off some steam.

Dave:eek:

Hi MSteve !

I am not going to come down hard on you Steve. I am sorry to hear your Cruise was not everything you hoped for. I hope you let us know what Celebrity ship you were on.

As for the food, I agree that it is very subjective. What some people may love, others might hate. I was on Constellation and Century in the past 3 weeks, and the food was excellent on both sailings. I had no problems with the tenderness of the meat. Unfortunately, that can change from week to week. We have always been very happy though.

Sometimes, it can be a matter of expectations. If you set the bar too high, you will likely set yourself up for some disappointment. When I go on a Cruise, I take each day one day at a time. If something goes wrong, I deal with it. Whenever I get disappointed, I think about being back at work, and the constant stress each day. I then remind myself that I am on a CRUISE vacation ! That always gets me back on the right track, and in a hurry !

I wish you Good luck with finding another type of vacation, or Cruise that will make you happier next time !

WELL SAID!

NJ guys, hope you have a great cruise. I personally, have never experienced a bad one. Emjoy,! If you dare you can even come back and tell us what you liked and did not like:D . Hopefully the likes will far outweigh the dislikes. Again, Bon voyage!

Archived