just returned..

shm

cruznqueen..

What did you do on St. Martin? What would you suggest that we do. I have rented us a jeep so that we can just explore on our own.

we also rented a jeep.. actually we rented "2" but when we got there we had "1" jeep & "1" car.. that kind of stunk..!!! We went left from the port.. our first stop was maho beach to see the planes.. we were there only a short period of time.. then we left there & went to orient beach.. seem like it took a longggg time to get there.. lots of traffic.. we only stayed at the beach for about 1 1/2 hour.. and then it was time to go back to the ship.. didn't have time to shop.. we ordered a hamburger at a bar on orient beach.. it was nasty!!! and cost us $10.00 each.. by the time we got to orient beach it was getting late so a lot of people were leaving.. but it looked like a fun beach.. and yes-- we did see nude..!! my boys were going to parasail but they were closing up..

If I had it to do over I think I would still rent a jeep (that was fun).. we didn't get there until 11:00 ship time (12:00 their time) so it was a little to late to try to see 2 beaches especially when they were that far apart..

had to get gas twice-- it is very high..

toothy26

is great bay (the beach near the port) really unable to be used? I heard that many people say you cannot swim in the water? is this also where the town for shopping is located?

some of my group went to a beach that was right at the port & they loved it.. they rented waverunners..

is this also where the town for shopping is located? i'm not sure.. but right when you get off the ship there are several stores for shoping..

Shm,

Which ship were you on? We will be on the Galaxy and I think she arrives in the AM so we should be able to do most of the island. We also want to go to Maho beach to see the planes and to Orient beach. We are not sit on the beach kind of people but we just want to check out the sights (HA) and then be on our way.

Did you drive around the entire island? Which car rental company did you use? Were they right at the pier?

Thanks,

Mary

we are going to be on the galaxy on the jan. 12 departure. you should end up with a full day to explore. last year we rented a car from arthur's right outside the terminal and circumnavigated the island going to dawn beach, orient beach, maigot, grand case, maho airprt, and then back. we stopped at each area for a short time rather than lengthy beach or shopping excursions, buying spices at the market in marigot, eating on the water in marigot, shopping for wine in grand case and watching the jets almost land on your head in maho. we also just drove along the shore to see the beautiful homes and beaches. you just need to time it to see the jets and go right from maho to miss the raising of the bridge near phillipsburg. we plan on doing a similar route this year, using arthur's again, but may stay longer in the dawn beach area to check out the new westin since i have points i can use if i would like to stay there for a week next year. enjoy the island, there is much to see and explore.

steve

toothy26

is great bay (the beach near the port) really unable to be used? I heard that many people say you cannot swim in the water? is this also where the town for shopping is located?

some of my group went to a beach that was right at the port & they loved it.. they rented waverunners..

is this also where the town for shopping is located? i'm not sure.. but right when you get off the ship there are several stores for shoping..

Its actually a great beach. Yes it is not AS appealing as Orient Bay, or Mullet Bay Beach, as there is a lot more marine activity in this area. But it is an excellent beach, and very much usable.

I would recommend staying away from the ship/bobbys marina area for swimming, but around the town pier area, upto great bay resort, the beach is absolutely beautiful.

The major convenience factor is, if your only there for the day, and want to avoid traffic, its a great beach all in walking distance, and lots of restaurants and shopping on front street and the board walk, so a fantastic experience.

Hello Thatbloominplace,

You will have to write a reveiw when you get back as we have about 30 of us signed up for the February 2 sailing of the Galaxy. I think your itinerary is the same as ours. Are you going to have a m&m party? Can you also let us know how many formal nights you had. Thanks.

I saw a website once that gave all the arrival and departure times of the hugh jets at SXM airport but I don't know where it is. I will have to look back over the posts. Maho is def one thing I want to do.

When you drove the island did you find any nice out of the way place to have lunch? Also, any other suggestions for things not to miss.

Thanks,

mary

That's a tuff question. The landings provide a big adrenlin rush with the relatively slow anticipation of the arriving aircraft, then all of a sudden this huge widebody is in your face. However, take-off of an Airbus or 747 is incredible power. Being so close to the jet blast is really unique.

It's really a coin toss as to which is better, but I tend to like the takeoff especially watching the uninformed tourists who want to be right behind the plane to "feel the blast". I've seen so many people get thrown into the ocean and quite a few pieces of hi-end camera equipment get destroyed it's like a side-show to the big event.

cruznqueen:

Which ship were you on? carnival victory

Did you drive around the entire island? yes.. made the whole circle

Which car rental company did you use? arthurs

Were they right at the pier? very near... maybe a 5 minute walk..

Archived