Warning about Princess Cruises

verydisappointed

Not only buy the insurance , but buy it immediately upon booking the cruise. The policy is different and pays better if booked within the 15 day period after booking vs booking after the 15 days with some insurers. We only began buying insurance after my husband suffered a heart attack and had bypass surgery at 48!!!! Never dreamed of the possibilities and were simply not worried. Looking back you just think - dumb, dumb, dumb. And we were!

Oh Yes They Will! WHEN RENAIISANCE CRUISES FILED FOR BANKRUPTCY AFTER 9/11, ALL PASSENGERS WHO WERE BOOKED FOR SAILINGS WERE INFORMED TO FILE CLAIMS THRU THEIR INSURANCE COMPANIES. THOSE WHO DID NOT PURCHASE INSURANCE WERE INFORMED TO CONTACT THEIR CREDIT CARD COMPANIES FOR A REFUND. THEY DID PAY THE REFUNDS. I KNOW THIS FIRST HAND. YES, THE CC COMPANIES HAD TO BITE THE BULLET.

[COLOR=Red]Well, it's the Typical First-Time Poster, First-Time Cruiser Syndrome. :confused:

Not only does the OP know Nothing about Insurance, she knows Nothing about Traveling as well. :eek:

She needs to get: A Good T.A., a Guide Book, an Insurance Salesperson, and some sense of Logic. Yes, perhaps the stressful situation of her dreadful Family Illness has put her Out of Sorts. However, NObody is Listening to her "Warning." :(

She's trying to make herself feel good and get Something for Nothing from a Corporation who has Bigger Fish to Fry and wasting the time of Employees in Customer Assistance. :p

Pedantically filling out forms is a way of life - get over it. File the forms and Be Patient. Get out and Volunteer at that Hospital.[/COLOR]

[b][color=black]Princess Di. It is not the original poster.. It is all the others that keep responding to the post... [/color][/b]

:eek: :eek:[b] EEK!! I am one of those posters :eek: :eek: [/b]

I agree with everyone else that we need to put this topic to rest but I can't resist responding to yet another uninformed post by bigdaddyrich. Having a credit card company refund your money when a cruise lines files for bankruptcy is way different than thinking the credit card company should give you back your money because you can't go on the cruise due to no fault of the cruise line. When a company files for bankruptcy their assets are frozen to pay their creditors. In the event of bankruptcy, when the credit card company gives you back your money they turn around and retrieve those funds from the merchant's bank. The credit card companies lost no money when renaisance filed for bankruptcy. There are very few credit card companies that will willingly (or grudgingly) give you back money that you have no right to have refunded. Anyone want to guess what type of company I work for?

[b][color=black]This is a troll people, the OP obviously is doing nothing more than entertaining themselves or has long since withered in embarrssment and skulked off.[/color][/b]

[b][color=black][/color][/b]
[b][color=black]Why do new posters not figure this out?[/color][/b]

[quote name='amagar']We're traveling for the first time with our parents this year...and learned something about cruise insurance. Boy, does the price skyrocket when you're older. When Travelocity asked if we wanted to pay $99 each, we scoffed and decided to shop around. Well, we did find insurance cheaper for my husband and myself ($140 for the both of us, in our 30s)...but prices for the parents (in their early 70s) was well above $350. Fortunately, Travelocity let us add the $99/pp insurance on to my parents' trip after we booked. [/QUOTE]
Maybe you should look into buying the insurance thru the cruise line next time. Princess does not charge by age for any passengers, but by how much you paid as cruise fare. Working for princess I am always happy to tell the "older" folks that their insurance rate is the same as their grandkids for the same cabin. Pls with princess you can add your insurance up to 75 days prior to sailing.

We're in our 70's and just purchased insurance through Princess. Paid $99 each. When I first booked, the fare was $150 more each and the insurance was $129. The fare went down and so did the cost of the insurance. Most companies rate their travel insurance policies based on the cost of the cruise/tour. I have thoroughly read the Princess policy and it is quite comprehensive. The only thing it doesn't cover is air fare if you purchase your air through the air line instead of through Princess. Since we don't have to fly, it's not an issue for us.

Wow, I can't believe I just read 6 pages of this stuff. I'm beginning to think I don't have a life and to prove it to myself I'm going to sit down and create a flow chart of all the diversions and asides and tangent thoughts that I've just read. (Just kidding)

However, I am amazed at some of the attacks and counter assumptions as well as the tone of voice that was used as the responses developed. I am not perfect at communicating and I know that what I say and write can be misinterpreted. I deeply appreciate all of you on this message board that cut some slack for those of us who aren't perfect at matching our words with our intent.

To the original poster: thanks you for your post because it convinced me that I'll never take another cruise without cancellation insurance. Before my recent cruise I had never taken out insurance because I was willing to absorb the loss if need be. However, my wonderful TA convinced us to use it this time and this thread has convinced me to continue that policy.

And even more importantly, to the original poster: my wishes for a speedy recovery for dad and your family.

I do have a question though: what does it mean to turn off the something or other at the bottom of the screen that was mentioned (I think) by LunaMoon (or whomever). I know I didn't get this question worded correctly, but I am curious about that aside and don't know how to scroll back through the 6 pages to get the poster's name and original wording correct. I have figured out, however, that one can read everything that others have said in their past threads and replies and have actually done that with a couple of people. (Additional proof that I need a life) Thanks in advance for not attacking what I just wrote.

[b][color=black]You can place certain posters you find bothersome or otherwise "unreadable" on your ignore list. You do so by clicking on their name, view public profile and add to my ignore list. After that, you no longer see what that person posts and the thing that originally bothered you no longer appears. It is useful for ending feuds and bickering.[/color][/b]

I am officially taking this thread off my subscriptions. The cat died a long time ago. Has the original poster even checked backed or at least acknowledged the fact that they have come back and checked. I am beginning to get obsessed with looking at this post. No more. I am gone. All should do the same and just let this die.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='LunaMoon']Geez...the original poster is simply looking for a bit of compassion and kindness at a stressful and confusing time. Yes folks, sometimes additional paperwork and a bureaucratic labyrinth can seem like too much when you are in a crisis mode.

If they indeed purchased insurance, all the admonishment that they should have purchased insurance is moot.

If they are looking for a kind soul at Princess to make the paperwork manageable, then they have to hope for hit-or-miss on the Princess info line.

And if there is no one at Princess to help them right now, time will help, and they will probably be able to handle the insurance bureaucracy better when they have less traumatic things to cope with

All the poster seems to need is a bit of understanding, and the luck of finding someone at Princess or the insurance company who will guide them through this painlessly.[/QUOTE]

Finally, a voice of reason. I totally agree with your comment. I think the OP was just looking for a compassionate shoulder, so to speak. I think we have all had experiences where we had all the proper documents or things necessary to make a transaction. But for whatever reason, the transaction itself is time-consuming or very demanding. Add that stress to the situation with her father and it is probably overwhelming for everyone. Not to mention, the idea that the planned vacation and celebration is cancelled. Sometimes we get a little haywire.

[quote name='hamptod']Finally, a voice of reason. I totally agree with your comment. I think the OP was just looking for a compassionate shoulder, so to speak. [/QUOTE]
[b][color=black]The implication being everyone else was UN-reasonable? That is patently offensive phrase. [/color][/b]
[b][color=black]If you wish to support this long gone OP or someone in support of the OP consider doing it without casting aspersions on those who also posted but refrained from questioning the "reason" of those who disagreed.[/color][/b]
[b][color=black]Digging this post back up to stir the pot... has questionable value to begin with.[/color][/b]

This is a new experience for me on this site, we are thinking about booking a cruise on Princess.
I have just read through this whole conversation...whew, amazing and interesting.
I agree with the poster named hamptod, and can't understand why others seem to take such quick offense here. "voice of reason" is just an expression to explain that a person thinks what was said makes sense, at least to them.
Anyway, I hope I can find advice here about which ship and which cruise my wife and I should book on Princess. We are interested in the southern carribean.
Anyone ever sail out of San Juan?

Archived