Restaurants for exotic meats, reindeer, buffalo, caribou, etc.

dkoitz

My 8 year old likes to eat strange food. We will be in Seward, Anchorage, Denali Park/Healy, and Fairbanks. Will be independent using a rental car. Any restaurants offering a little strange on their menus in these areas?:)

We ran into reindeer quite a bit. We ate it at the Saturday market in Anchorage. That is a great place to find some different foods. Also look in the shops for exciting syrups and jellys. We brought some of the fireweed syrup home, pretty good, and the fireweed is special to Alaska because it is supposed to predict when the snow is coming. "Fireweed turns to cotton, summer is soon forgotten" is a common phrase up there.

Also, in Talkeetna, which is just off the main road and a great town to ride into if you get a chance. It in not commercialized at all. True alaska. Actually I believe the show Northern Exposure was based off of its setting. Anyway there is a little restaurant on the corner (maybe someone can help with the name) It only has outside seatting, a nice little wooden patio, and they have fiddlehead ferns. These are ferns picked in May when the look like little fiddles (they freeze them and then fry them. My DH loved them. Enjoy!

Seward ....The Marina Restaurants have caribou, buffalo, reindeer, musk ox, crab. One is in the small boat harbor and the other downtown where alot of the locals hang out to gossip.

Resurrection Roadhouse, located on Windsong lodge property, has some strange food. I tried their Budda pizza once which had shrimp, cocktail sauce, shredded carrots, carmelized onions. I didn't like it but than I'm picky and your asking for strange. :)

Archived