Pirate Encounter---Jolly Roger in Grand Cayman

NenaCruise

Hello Everyone,

We're on the Mariner for Spring Break---March 25th --7Nt and I have a 9yr old son that I would like to take on the Pirate Encounter in Grand Cayman. If anyone has done this before, can you give me some insight? It says they stop and snorkel but we don't swim. However, he is into pirates and ships....Let me know if its worth it.

Also, I am traveling with three lovely older ladies who need to take it a bit slow and I was thinking of the doing the Trolley Roger excursion...if you've been on that...let me know what you think..

The hardest thing for me is choosing excursions...I want to compensate for a young child and older relatives:)

Thank you all for listening...your words will bring me delight for sure....

Woo Hoo.....paid my cruise in full today :)LOL:)

I've never done the Jolly Roger in GC, but we just did the one in Barbados. I don't know if it's the same company or not. There is a lot of drinking involved, considering rum punch and some other alchololic beverages are free while you are onboard. Needless to say it can get crazy. The one in Barbados said it could be fun for kids as well, but even the staff mentioned it probably wouldn't be a good idea. Two weeks before we did the excursion evidently all the women were topless.

There is a rope swing and a plank to walk/dive off of. There were not any kids when we went. I guess it would just depend on what kind of atmosphere you would find acceptable for your kid(s).

The pirate cruise was a blast! We swam, drank, sang and danced. :p It is definitely something I would do again. Although I almost missed lobster night due to much of the activities mentioned, mainly the drinking part. :p

Here is a link to our photos from the Jolly Roger. Jolly Roger Pirate Cruise 1 - There are some photos of the scenery between the sets of Jolly Roger pics.

Here is a direct link to the next set of photos. Jolly Roger Pirate Cruise 2

Thank you so much for letting me know...wonder if the one i GC is like that....I don't know if would be that great for kids then...I know there will be more kids on the ship since it will be spring break...we'll see...if anyone has any hope for this excursion out there let me know as well as for the Trolley Roger tour f the island:)

I did the Joyy Roger in GC. I have also did the one on Barbados. They were very different. The one in GC was more laid back and family freindly. It was a lot of fun. NO women took off their tops. Yes there was rum punch and soft drinks. Nothing else. We left port fire a real cannon on our ship as we past. We did a mock capture. We then proceeded on to the place where we anchored to swim. On our way we had a trial fro a few passenger who were accused of mutany. We judged the guilty or not. the punishment was being tied to the mast and drenching with water. There was a plank which you could walk after we anchored. My wife doesn't swim either and she has good fun watching the antics of those who did. There are men onboard who will help you on and off the ship. Seating is around the ship. I would be more concerned for the older folks than I would my child. I am 60 years old and my knees felt the climb up to my seat.

I am going back in January with my grand daughter we are think of taking her on this excursion. She is 9 years old.

Don

l looked at the other excursions and liked the sound of this one...Thank you for your insight....it helps to know that you had a positive experience and are taking your granddaughter...I think my family will love this excursion......HUGS!!

Do you think I could book two excursions in GC since they are short excursions------the Pirate Encounter (2hrs) and the Trolley Roger City Tour (1hr)......Will RCCL let me do this? I assume we may have to go back to the ship to start the other excursion......

Went on one in Antigua and believe me, people got drunk. It was fun, but be prepared for a lot of drinking. Had the snorkeling and rope swings and just plain swimming. The costumes of the pirates were amazing and they had their act down pat. I'm kind of a partier so I liked the trip. Glad my wife was there to pick me up when I got off the boat. Kind of wobbly myself. I don't recall any children on the one I was on.

It looks like alot of fun....I'm sure my son will love the Pirate Encounter. Thanks so much for including the pics....it makes it more worthwhiled....so I am assuming I better wear my swim suit:)LOL......

Thanks for the info on the Trolley Roger...I know it would be a comfort to my older relatives and I'm sure I'll love it too:)....Maybe I can do the Pirate Encounter early in the morning and then do the Trolley Roger after lunch:) I'm going to look into the double excursion....:p

:) We just did the Grand Cayman J.R. Pirate tour for the FOS - our 3 yr old son walked the plank! The head pirate (a tall slender african american) was Fabulous!!!!! He talked up a rough time, but was gentle with the little one and made certain that our son was confrotable with him before he poured water over his head while scrubbign the deck! It was really alot of fun. If you look under water and see a size 3t Buzz Lightyear tank top.. hey that's ours!! The pirates threw it overboard with out knowing! But really it was worth the $.

Hi Cruisin-Family----thanks....its great to know that kids can be involved and that the "pirates" are great with the kids....Did the boat sway alot? Were there alot of people on this excursion? Were the sghts great? Was the acting well done?

The Pirates acting was great - even the younger pirates did a great job - oh, the Head Pirate I forgot to mention is THE Pirate for The Grand Caymans for a Pirate Party in late October? early November? The Pirates come and 'take over the island' and there was a HUGE island party we missed by a week.

The boat did not sway much, we had great weather. As for the # of people... umm.. a couple dozen maybe? Not too many not too few for a good time. Though most people did not get into the water when we dropped anchor to swim. (like I said we did and it was great!) They tosse dout life jackets to everyone so you didn't have to tred water the whole time it was very enjoyable. We were only in like 12 to 16 feet of water and it was clear you could see the bottom.

As for the sights lets see.. all the way ot the swimming location, the pirates were having those mutany trials and having the kids scrub the deck, so that was pretty much your sights / intertainment. I hope you book it and I do hope you enjoy it!

Archived