What does this mean?

Cotton

'guarantee'

:confused: I've seen this several times in titles of threads, as well as in posts. I just have a curious mind - and probably too much time on my hands. :rolleyes:

LOL Cotton! I have seen it many times as well and thought I might be the only one since nobody said anything about it!!!! I have no clue!! It is fun trying to decipher what they are saying though, LOL...

I saw the explanation for this somewhere. It has to do with an apostrophe not translating over to the new boards. I think it was a sticky at the top of the forums that discussed this.

Okay, it wasn't a sticky, but I found this discussion of it on another forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=56381

Goin - :D

Hstry - Thx. I looked at the other thread - must've missed it before. Laura does have a mention of something about apostrophes in her announcements area, sorta, but doesn't address this particular thing.:)

I think its because ampersands have a special place in computer languages and using them creates havoc with what you are trying to say as the puter picks up a different signal than you are trying to convey.

(how's that for a meaningless line of puter speak)? :D

Kind of like, you can't use the % key in file names. If you do you have to surround it with certain codes that tell the puter operating system to "disregard" it.

GAAAAAWWWWD, this is confusing. How do I delete my post? :D

Oh this is a thing?

I had that on the roll call thread for a RCCL cruise I'd booked on (cancelled, just couldn't bring myself to do it)

I thought it was some kind of secret code.

I had that on the roll call thread for a RCCL cruise I'd booked on (cancelled, just couldn't bring myself to do it)

CHRIS!!!!! You cancelled the RCI cruise??????

Jeeze, I was hoping you'd get back to us afterward with an unbiased opinion!!

Can't say I blame you though....

LSU - :D I am not alone.:D (But yes, all little tigers can be bad.)

Chris - Hey man, I thought you must be on yet another cruise. You haven't been around much lately. We miss you.

We kept seeing this on our posts and didn't know what the problem was. It all started when they changed the board recently. I think it does have something to do with the apostrophe in our post.

The basic problem is that the bulletin board system uses a special language called BBCode for posts. Most people (and their computers) use HTML (hyper text markup language). In HTML, there is a special kind of thing called an entity which can be used to create characters on the screen that are otherwise reserved.

The & is a special character. The entity ' is used in HTML to replace it. Since special characters are involved, things can 'go amok'.

If you'd like to learn more about bbcode, try this guide. The nice thing about this kind of bulletin board is that you don't really need to know it well to get writing.

LSU - :D I am not alone.:D (But yes, all little tigers can be bad.)

Chris - Hey man, I thought you must be on yet another cruise. You haven't been around much lately. We miss you.

I was researching a cruise I'd booked on RCCL. Didn't like what I saw and cancelled...bad voodoo there.

Hey man, let me tell you about bad voodoo!:D I went to school with a voodoo priestess' daughter in N.O. - and as a 10-yr. old child, that girl scared me half to death. Weird. Weird girl. Actually, I'm looking straight at a voodoo doll as I type. She sits on top of my monitor and we chat.:eek: :D :D

Now on to serious bizz-nez. In the past week, I've looked into NCL and RCCL - just for a change. However, the more I look, the less I like what I see. So, guess I'm gonna be a Carneygirl for life....which 'ain't' a bad thing!

Now on to serious bizz-nez. In the past week, I've looked into NCL and RCCL - just for a change. However, the more I look, the less I like what I see. So, guess I'm gonna be a Carneygirl for life....which 'ain't' a bad thing!

Some of you know I have been researching other lines as well and like you,

Cotton, there are a lot of things that turn me off.

(sigh)

RCI's reviews are too often negative when it comes to the food (except the reviews from the die-hard RCI cruisers) When I read reviews from folks that have sailed more than one line, RCI and NCL sound like they need some work in the dining department...(and food is important to me :D and Freestyle dining does NOT interest me at all) which leaves me with Celebrity and Princess to look at...(Radisson looks REALLY amazing...well, I guess that is not gonna happen unless I hit the lottery. :eek: ) So.....what I'm REALLY hoping for is Carnival adding a nice winter sailing to Panama canal so I won't have to switch lines!!!!

Some of you know I have been researching other lines as well and like you,

Cotton, there are a lot of things that turn me off.

(sigh)

RCI's reviews are too often negative when it comes to the food (except the reviews from the die-hard RCI cruisers) When I read reviews from folks that have sailed more than one line, RCI and NCL sound like they need some work in the dining department...(and food is important to me :D and Freestyle dining does NOT interest me at all) which leaves me with Celebrity and Princess to look at...(Radisson looks REALLY amazing...well, I guess that is not gonna happen unless I hit the lottery. :eek: ) So.....what I'm REALLY hoping for is Carnival adding a nice winter sailing to Panama canal so I won't have to switch lines!!!!

I agree. I just got a bad feeling about it all. After the down-to-earth, warm, caring, occasionally in-your-face but real and fun people I've met on ships and on this board from Carnival and Princess I just didn't feel it over there.

I really do think that these boards, when visited frequently, are a really good reflection of what I've found on the ships.

In addition, the many varied dining options on our newer Carnival ships and that Princess Personal Choice thing have me hooked. I just did not want to go back to a regimented meal structure.

One of the big draws of those Voyager class ships is the "wow factor". I love to be wow-ed but I get that from meeting wow-quality people, not from facilities. For example, the Movies Under The Stars that we experienced on our Caribbean Princess cruise stopped me dead in my tracks when I walked on deck and saw it.

But the Wow part of that cruise was the really wonderful people we met on board.

I remember our first Carnival Victory cruise. We met the nicest family who we ended up dining with and going ashore with. We cruised the Victory two times after that and while every cruise was enjoyable, that one were we connected with that great family will always be the great one to remember.

But the Wow part of that cruise was the really wonderful people we met on board.

QUOTE]

AMEN to that!! :D

I know there are (some??) folks on other boards who put Carnival cruisers into a 'class' and a very negative one at that...so be it. No matter what 'class' Carnival cruisers are, I happen to like 'em.

If you say that the boards reflect the passengers, then I have a feeling there is more than one line out there that I wouldn't enjoy.

Life is too short to be all stuffy and snobby. I consider myself having plenty of class....but not enough that I can't have fun, and NEVER too much that I feel the need to put other people down. I like to be on a ship where people can let their hair down and feel free and happy enough to enter a hairy chest contest...or a not-so-newlywed game.....it's just my opinion, just what I happent to like. (although, I will admit that although my DH does have quite a 'sweater', he always is self conscious enough to make sure I 'groom' him.....kind of like the buzz I give the dog...every summer when he is running around without a shirt!! :eek: ) I guess that there must be quite a few people that feel the same because Carnival seems to fill their ships all the time. I don't think it's just a cost factor either because some people (at least some on these boards!!) are taking numerous cruises a year...so it CAN"T be that they are dirt poor....they must be chosing Carnival cruises because they like the line....even though I can think of one poster who cruises them all the time and won't admit he likes them ( :D )!!!

Archived