What are all the excursion options in Belize?

SqueakyDust

We go next December and won't get a list of excursions from our ship for at least 7 months. What all could we do?

We are 2 adults (1 very large and unfit) and 2 kids (11 & 12)

I know about;

ZipLining - no way!

Cave Tubing - considering, but a little worried for the kids safety.

Ruins - quite like this idea, but DD gets car sick so if a long drive, then it's out. I'm terrified of heights, but have read others reviews and may be able to cope (climbing on all 4's)

Snorkelling - not suitable if done out at sea as kids not strong swimmers.

Is there anything else?

thanks

We did cave tubing in Belize in November and took our two daughters, ages 9 and 17 with us. They both loved it--it was their favorite excursion of the cruise. It is not dangerous...the guides from cave tubing dot com were very careful to stress safety. I had heard that it would be rough, but it was very gentle and soothing.

The guys met us just outside the terminal in Belize after our tender ride to shore. We gathered with others from our roll call from cruisecritic and boarded a bus. They took us on a quick city tour while we waited for some of the others to tender ashore. Once all of the passengers were on the (nice, big, air-conditioned) bus, we drove about 30 minutes to the place where we got out and walked with our innertubes through the forest to the "river." The guides each had 5 cave tubers with them, and they obviously knew the river, so they were able to tell us what to expect. The caves are very large and roomy--not closed in--so if a person had claustrophobia, this excursion would not be a problem. (I had heard otherwise, but it was not true). We did not use the ship's excursion--we booked this privately--and I would highly recommend using the private excursion.

I heard the snorkeling here was awesome...I don't know how rough the water was.

We did ziplining in Roatan and we loved it.

I would be glad to answer any other questions.

--Susan

We did the Mayan ruins at Altun Ha and really enjoyed them. The ride wasn't bad, maybe 45 minutes or so.

We booked the excursion from the tour operator at the port and there were 5 of us total in a 2005 mini-van.

After you get off at the pier there is a small (and I mean small) desk at the far right end of the pier. Right end if you are facing the pier. Alot of the men walking around with excursion info are all working together through this same group. I think its the taxi association or something or other. Tour was $35/person and as I said, there were 5 of us in a minivan so we got alot of very personal attention that you don't get in large groups. I think there's alot less motion in a mini van than in a bus, so you may want to conisder that. Another option is to take a Bonine before getting off the ship which should also help with motion sickness.

If you want to know what the ship offers go to the cruiselines web site. Even if they don't have the offerings listed for your particular sailing, there will be list of excursions typically offered.

Many thanks for your replies. :)

Susan, Was your 9 yr old daughter able to carry the inner tube on the walk herself? Did you do one or two caves?

Vmom, 45 mins would probably be too long. DD feels sick in cars, buses, trains etc. We've tried all sorts of remedies. We are in the UK and I don't think we get bonine - but I have tried various other travel pills. They don't agree with her either making her very sleepy/groggy or tearful/irritable!! On her first cruise it took us a while to realise why she was a moody madam - it was because I was giving her sickness tablets 'incase' she got sea sick, which she didn't (except on a small boat).

Also, the ship we are sailing on is British and we'll be on the first sailing of this itinerary that they've ever done, so I don't expect to get info on tours until late in the day. Having said that, we tend to book ourselves as the ship is always much more expensive and I'd rather give my money to the locals.

If a 45 minute ride is too long, then cave tubing would not be an option for you either, since it also involved a 45 minute to 1 hour ride which I have read is very bumpy.

The only other options I can think of that doesn't involve at least a 45 minute ride is possibly a visit to the wildlife sanctuary or taking an excursion out to one of the Cayes for some beach time. I'm not sure how long the ride is to the wildlife sanctuary. A visit to one of the Cayes will involve a boat ride tho. Maybe others can give more suggestions.

Also, if she is that prone to motion sickness, you need to be aware that Belize is a tender port and the tenders they use do create more motion and movement than a car or bus would. Since the tenders are large, it usually takes a while to fill them and while sitting in the tender there is typically movement. Then after the tender is filled, its a 15 minute trip to the mainland.

Bonine is the name in the US. I have read posts that they have the same thing in the UK, but its under a different name. Have you talked to the doctor about possible suggestions? Since the ship itself will have movement, if she is that sensitive to motion then it might be a good idea to have some thing in place just in case she feels sick on the ship.

VMom, thanks for the other suggestions. I'll look into the animal sanctuary - the kids usually love that sort of thing.

We've done tenders before, but because they are short trips DD can cope. And, as I said, she copes fine on the cruise ship.

I'll try and find out what bonine is called here in the UK. I did enquire initially with my Doc but he just suggested over the counter meds (which I took a range of) but they're not suitable. I'll have to have a word again and see if he can suggest/give us something else. I recon it's a certain movement that gets her. Only good thing about it is she goes quiet, which can be a blessing ;)

I agree with the Bonine, we took it last year "just in case" and it never made me drowsy at all. And I took 1 pill every day of our 7 day cruise. Matter of fact, it was the only motion sickness pill you could buy in the gift shop on the ship. I already have mine bought for our cruise in January. I hope this helps.

Archived