Not another "I had a bad experience" first post

themoon

Why do some posters feel the need to belittle new posters who have a complaint? My family sailed on the Spirit December 1st and all loved it, no complaints. We loved the ship, the food, the staff etc. but I did not take the time to post a review. I also don't call the cable company when the signal is coming in clear to thank them, or take a moment to tell the grocery store manager that the cashier was friendly and made no mistakes, and I'm pretty sure that most people don't either. But when something goes wrong, that's when I take the time to voice my complaint, even if it's the first time I have something to say. Many people lurk here for months gathering information without feeling the need to post, that should not invalidate whatever they do eventually have to say. And when they don't come back to post after they've been attacked, it might just be because they've been frightened away. Just my 2 cents.

I guess you would have to define belittle... why did you feel the need to complain about the belittlers????

People are allowed to post opinions, why do people always think that questioning an OP or posting a contradictory post is an attack or belittlement?

Bottom line, as long as you stay within the guidelines of this site, you are allowed to do what you wish.

If someone comes on and bashes a cruise I was just on, I will certainly provide my opinion, completely encouraged and allowed.

I just laugh when posters view something as an attack or rude just because it is contradictory or takes a completely different direction than their train of thought - pretty narrow minded in my opinion...

...and I don't think "new" has anything to do with it, but attitude does...

Hi Moon:

Your point about lurking here is exactly the problem. It is clear by the post whether someone lurked here before, gathered information, and then cruised. The frustrating part, and I think what gets people's dander up, is when someone has a first post complaining about stuff and when asked if they did any research ahead of time the answer is always no. Then they come here and complain to the Carnival board as though there is ANYTHING we can do about it after the fact. My psych training tells me that it is normal, human behavior for someone to get defensive when called on something (i.e, why would you not research this and then come here to complain that something went wrong after the fact). However, if they can't come back and then say, "You're right, I should have taken the responsibility to research this ahead of time and save myself this heartache..." the flames will rise to amazing proportion in seconds flat.

My $.02

I guess you would have to define belittle... why did you feel the need to complain about the belittlers????

If someone comes on and bashes a cruise I was just on, I will certainly provide my opinion, completely encouraged and allowed.

I was not complaining about the people who attack first time complaints, I was asking why it's done. Now I know one reason.

I was not complaining about the people who attack first time complaints, I was asking why it's done. Now I know Mrdood and Vanessa L's reason.

I was not complaining about the people who attack first time complaints, I was asking why it's done. Now I know Mrdood and Vanessa L's reason.

...easy on the refresh button... causes multiple posts.

How do you define belittle and attack?

Many people don't come back because they have no intention of coming back, they want to just post and run, I guess there is no way to discern between those that don't return and why they don't?

People are allowed to post opinions, why do people always think that questioning an OP or posting a contradictory post is an attack or belittlement?

Bottom line, as long as you stay within the guidelines of this site, you are allowed to do what you wish.

I just laugh when posters view something as an attack or rude just because it is contradictory or takes a completely different direction than their train of thought - pretty narrow minded in my opinion...

...and I don't think "new" has anything to do with it, but attitude does...

Very well put.......You have no idea how many people report a post as the OP being attacked when, in fact, they really weren't....and then you see posts like "why do the mods let this stuff go on?".....We look at it and say..."What are they talking about?":confused: .....We also get reports where some say they are cursing when all we see is damn or hell.........I mean really :rolleyes:

BUT....don't let that stop anyone from reporting.......if you "think" a post/thread is out of the guidelines, report it....and we'll make the call...Thanks!:)

and BTW...most 1 post wonders are just trying to start trouble as we researched who they are, etc.....some are even breaking the rules by creating a new screen name just to post that first post just to see if they can cause problems......I swear!:rolleyes:

Hr Pufnstuf

Oh great!! Now I have this running through my head:

H.R. Pufnstuf,

Who's your friend when things get rough?

H.R. Pufnstuf

Can't do a little cause he can't do enough

Thanks Pete, thanks a lot! :p

Diane

When a poster comes on the boards and one of their very first posts is a negative cruise review, it makes a bad first impression. It would be like meeting someone for the first time and having them start complaining about something right off the bat. The first time you meet someone, the way they act will influence the way you feel about that person. If I meet someone and they have nothing but negative things to say, then that is a person that I do not care to associate with again. It's the same on the boards.

That is not to say that someone who had a negative cruise experience doesn't have every right to post their views. However, there are better and worse ways of doing so. I've seen some negative reviews that also had some good things to say, and the poster kept things civil ~ I have no problem with that. The ones who come here and post that their cruise was HORRIBLE and there was NOTHING GOOD about it, and Carnival is a bunch of redneck losers, and anyone who cruises Carnival must be insane ~ those are the ones I have a problem with.

Happy cruising. :)

Oh great!! Now I have this running through my head:

H.R. Pufnstuf,

Who's your friend when things get rough?

H.R. Pufnstuf

Can't do a little cause he can't do enough

Thanks Pete, thanks a lot! :p

Diane

LOL.

On a sadder note, wee Jimmy died this year. He looked like an old man!

imagesjw.jpg.e7ae92399a88feb839816ccc6bf6c1d3.jpg

I just came to check if anyone else had any answers to my question and instead I've learned that you don't even have to follow the guidelines of this site and you are still allowed to do what you wish. :rolleyes:

I just came to check if anyone else had any answers to my question and instead I've learned that you don't even have to follow the guidelines of this site and you are still allowed to do what you wish. :rolleyes:
Why do some posters feel the need to belittle new posters who have a complaint? .

This was the only statement you made, in the form of a question, I saw but I'd have to say, along with others that posted, that this is really your opinion on how you see a thread.....which I'm sure there may be SOME that belittle and we try to remove but for the most part it's others stating their opinions as they have.....and somebody will probably say that those, that did not agree with your opinion on this thread, were attacking you.....sigh.....which they weren't...

The guidelines have been followed fairly well in this thread...EXCEPT for the HR PuFFnstuff remarks...:rolleyes: :D ....Ok..that wasn't funny!:mad: ....but seriously, try to stay on topic without going off in TVLand and let's all remember that we have a lot of opinions and we're not all going to agree...so we agree to disagree without mudslinging.:)

Still waiting for you to define what you meant by belittle and attack???????????????

...examples would be great!

I always think that the name of the site is what leads many first time, negative posters to our door. They have a complaint and are looking for a place to vent or perhaps they are seeking advice in how to proceed to get some satisfaction/recompense. Obviously, a first post that is negative is not going to "win friends and influence people". And, as Host Randy said, some are just here to stir the pot.

Whatever they are looking for, they'll find it here. Some folks are helpful, some are critical. Wow! What an eye opener. ;)

Still waiting for you to define what you meant by belittle and attack???????????????

...examples would be great!

This is a typical example of what happens....a first time poster comes here and says...."we hated it"...then someone posts "give us an example of what went wrong"....and they never seem to answer that.:confused: ......Maybe the OP will come back and give some examples.....or not.:cool:

Archived