Gilly Tours

Timetorelax

Anyone taken a private tour with Gilly who has a stand as you get off the ship? He wants $40 per person which includes admission to the baboon sanctuary. Is he worth it??

I have never taken a tour with him. But I discovered him quite by accident one afternoon when we were in Belize. We have a special needs child and can't do all the "adventure" stuff that Belize is so well known for.

We had finished having a beer "inside the fence" at one of the bars and I struck up a conversation with Gilly (Mr. Gilbert Young). We talked for over 30 minutes about Belize, tourism and the great need they have for the cruise ships to be successful docking there.

He was very interesting to talk to. He and other licensed tour operators are working hard to make Belize more like Cozumel where the cruisers feel comfortable. I told him that that general population was going to have to get on the same page if that was going to happen. I told him while I understand why they are aggressive (these ships are their bread and butter) that their aggression is really hurting them in the long run. I also told him that cruisers want 2 things...to know they are safe and to get back to the ship on time. I did not realize that English is their main lanuage ( I guess from the days of belonging to the British)...so lanuage is not a barrier.

Anyway, we look forward to doing a tour with him when we return. We will probably just go to the zoo and some touring around town since that is about all our child can do.

If you do use them, please come back and let us know how it went!!

Archived