Cell phones on the ship? Maybe soon!

dawnc

Just great :( *shakes head* Yes, I do take my cell phone - to make two phone calls - "I'm on the ship...talk to you in a week" and "I'm off the ship....will give you a buzz when I get home". Other than that it stays locked in the safe. If someone needs to reach me "they" can call the ship, but it had better be an emergency.

I just don't get it. We all work or have worked (read retired) for our vacations and if you can't live with out a cell phone for a week, IMO one has a "huge" sence of self importance or one works for a very poorly organized company and if one is a business owner that needs to be reached, then I think they need a new business partner that's competent.

I'm not a proponent of having cell phones on the ship. Too much noise and too many loud people using them. While some people might say that if you can't be out of touch for the length of the cruise you should stay home, I won't say it. There are a very few valid reasons that have been presented for having a cell aboard, they just aren't my reasons. I don't even own a cell phone!

I guess it is all a matter of personal needs. Even on vacation, there are circumstances that require staying in touch and at $6 to $8 a minute, the present ship-to-shore phone system is too expensive.

It will still cost you about $2 a minute (like international roaming charges) so that might deter people from spending their entire cruise on the cellphone.

This "could" actually bring business to the Carnival Ships. It might entice companies to hold meetings that would normally go to hotels and resorts to the ship itself. I don't like the idea of folks with their phones up to their ears all the time or them on the phone while dining even. I do like the idea that I can be contacted should there be a work or home emergency a bit easier and cheaper though.

There are good reasons for and against the cell phones on the ship. Like I said, I probably would not bring mine, but DH would want his. He works for a small trucking company that just doesn't have anyone else to do his job. He has brought his phone in the past and been able to get his messages when we reached port and been able to take care of anything that couldn't wait until we got back. If the ships start having cell service way out to sea, I don't think I would let him know about it. He doesn't read the boards, so maybe he won't find out! When we go out, I make him either turn the phone off or leave it in the car.

Dawn

I do take my cell phone with me. And if you have Verizon...you can get service in St. Thomas. I did and I wasn't even in roaming. I used it to call home to check on my dad who had been sick. Calling and checking on family I think is ok. But calling someone just to be chatting about nothing really I think is annoying while on a ship.

He works for a small trucking company that just doesn't have anyone else to do his job.

He has brought his phone in the past and been able to get his messages when we reached port and been able to take care of anything that couldn't wait until we got back.

If the ships start having cell service way out to sea, I don't think I would let him know about it.

Dawn

Cross training.

Poor management.

Impossible unless AT&T, Sprint etc, start floating towers.

This is just plain ridiculous. No cell phones, period. If you cann't live without your phone, don't take a cruise. Or get one of those satellite phones and use it in port, but please don't bring it on the ship. I don't want to hear ringers going off in the shows or while I am eating dinner. It's just plain rude. But the only plus is that it would give a lot of funny material to the comics. I would love to see someone picked on for a ringing phone.

My father and I own a small business and everyone in our company will be on our cruise in October... are we taking our cell phones? NO. We are taking every precaution necessary to secure our customers prior to leaving... Our customers actually WANT us to have a vacation, LOL. Now, we do have to take the laptop, to check the servers and make sure everyone is running okay... but you can guarantee it will be an "in and out" deal. My phone rings 24x7, and I am looking forward to NOT hearing a phone ring for 5 days... people have lived this long without cell phones on a cruise, why screw up a good thing? If there is an emergency, someone can get in touch with you... but soon, emergencies will turn into "MOOOMMMMMM, Robby won't let me have my turn playing the playstation" or "I hate to bother you, but I can't seem to find a stapler, do you know where I could get one"... give me a break. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

No cell phones, no way! Too many cell phone users are too discourteous to others.

Not hearing obnoxious ringers is one of the things i look forward to on a cruise. I know my vacation is truly over when I'm walking through the ship on debarkation day and hear cell phones ringing.

It would be nice to have a better, cheaper way to contact people but NOT at the expense of a cell free environment.

If you can't live without your cell for a few days, I suggest you re-evaluate your vacations or your lifestyle.

any cruise line that offers cell service on board, looses me as a cruiser.

it is just as simple as that.

You'd better find a new way of vacationing then. Once one cruiseline implements it the rest will follow.

I have no problem with this and I would probably bring my phone. Do I HAVE to have it...no. It would just be nice to be able to check in with my kids when I wanted to and not have to pay $10 per minute. I'd do it from my cabin though, not carry my phone with me the whole time on the ship. Even if someone was next to me gabbing away on their phone about nothing important it wouldn't bother me. I don't spend my time worrying about what other people are doing.

Well, it is their vacation too. So if they want to have their phone glued to their ear all day, every day, during their vacation and miss out on everything, so be it. Just as long as, like most have said, don't bring it to dinner (like someone wants you talking to them with your mouth full anyway) and don't bring it to the show (of course, there is always someone that has to make a call to complain about someone else doing something they shouldn't, during the show). Cell phones on ships, bad, BAD idea.

Certainly to each her/his own thoughts on cell phones.....but picture this scenario:

You're sailing on a wonderful ship in the beautiful Caribbean -

You're on deck, comfy in a lounge chair -

You're feeling the mildly warm breezes wafing all around you -

You're sipping on a marvelous adult beverage -

You're enjoying the peaceful, serene atmosphere -

You're soooo relaxed, you're about to doze off -

......then.......

:eek: B-RRRINNNNNG, B-RRRINNNNNG, B-RRRINNNNNG !!! :eek:

Hello? Hello? I can't hear you! Hello?

Now, if THAT wouldn't be a mood-breaker, I don't what would!

To me, a vacation is 'getting away' from everything. IF you must be in contact with folks at home - use the computer - or bring a phone card to use in one of the ports. Don't ruin MY quiet time..........Geez.

I do not have a problem with using a cell phone on a cruise ship. Mine worked in the ports we visited. I only use it to call home and to check messages. Sometimes emergencies happen and people need to keep in touch. I would expect Carnival to enforce no cells in the theatre or dining rooms.

Personally, I can't wait to get out of port so those things don't work.

I'm with you, workn2cruise! Jeff brought his cell phone on our last cruise, but it spent the entire cruise locked in the safe in our cabin. The only reason we had it with us was because we were staying overnight with my sister in Ft Lauderdale after the cruise & I wanted to be able to let her know when we were off the ship so she could pick us up. After getting into port, there were 2 calls made & then the thing got packed away in the suitcase where it stayed until we got home the next evening!

Bobbi of jeff_n_bobbi

Explorer of the Seas - Sept 27, 2003

Carnival Imagination - Jan 22, 2005

Kristi's right, once one cruise ship starts doing it, they will all start doing it. It's probably beyond our control. And look on the bright side of things. Maybe the cell phone users will be so busy gabbing on the phone that they will miss the shows and leave us more room to sit. But more than likely it will still be quite expensive. I doubt there will be lots of free time or anything. Hopefully the cost will keep the people from gabbing all of the time.

It they DO end up doing this, cell phone usage should be restricted to a persons cabin.... then it is fair to everyone involved. With the ANNOYING ring tones everyone seems to have these days, I certainly don't want to have to hear those while I am relaxing by the pool, or eating anywhere, they should not be allowed in ANY public area... I still say, if someone has a viable emergency, there has always been a way to call the ship, sure... it's expensive, but if you have a real emergency, are you going to bawk at $10? :rolleyes: Believe me, most people have trouble getting a signal somewhere on dry land, I can almost guarantee it is going to be much tougher on the ship... "Can you hear me now? how bout now? Is this good? HOW ABOUT NOW??" Grrr...

I would love to see some major restrictions on the use of them myself, cuz I'm sure there is no doubt that they will be coming. Vibrate mode only in public areas, never in the Dining Room (maybe they will enforce it as good as they do the dress code!), never in the Showroom, Art Auctions, etc. I would prefer it to be restricted to the cabin, but that wouldn't be realistic I'm sure.

Archived