Mystic Tan (or similar)

GiniB

I would like to hear from those who have used this process before a cruise. I know from reading prior posts that it produces, in most people, a very nice tanned look. I also have read that it wears off eventually. My questions are:

--Just how long does it last? Is it a matter of 2 days or closer to a week? I don't plan to do any diving or snorkeling on this trip, so other than a dip in the pool or hot tub, and of course daily showers, I won't be in much water.

--When it does wear off, does it wear off evenly? Or do you end up with patchy bits? I can handle the gradual wearing off, but I don't want to end up looking like some sort of speckled freakshow.

--How many applications are recommended to achieve an optimal tan? Does it last longer if you layer it on?

--As it wears off, can you prolong it by applying self-tanning products yourself?

Thanks in advance for your answers and advice. Please don't reply with the "you don't need a tan" line of thought. I know all that and I know that white skin is beautiful, etc., etc. I just don't think white skin is beautiful on me. I think white clothing is beautiful too, but it doesn't look good on me either. Besides, that particular topic has been covered ad nauseum elsewhere on the boards, so we don't need to dredge it up again, now do we?;)

I've gotten a Mystic Tan Plus a number of times and am a big fan! It wore off in about a week and was a pretty even decrease. Be sure to scrub the heck out of your skin that morning so all the dead skin is off and use lots of lotion to keep the top tanned skin from flaking and you'll get a few extra days out of it.

The only thing I would be concerned about is sand. As a natural sloughing agent it will whiten your feet and you'll get a sock look! Eeeek!

Thanks Claire. One more thing. I looked on the Mystic website and it says to exfoliate and moisturize prior to being sprayed...it seems like if you do both you'll have a coating of moisturizer on top of your skin that would keep it from absorbing. Was that your experience? Also (okay, that's two more things), what is "Mystic Plus?" Is that something different than just the Mystic?

Hi. I am a tanning queen. I actually have my best results from Nuetrogena spray tan! If you are looking for a base tan before a vacation, I don't think spray tan is the way to go, you would definetly need a real deal ultra v tanning booth. I know ...I know it's very bad for you! But, a few visits into the booth before your vacay and you won't burn!!

Well I am the queen of the fake and bake! :p

You would be better off going to the tanning bed and getting a good base tan before you go. However this will NOT keep you from burning. I am dark complected and I tan before my vacation. I can and do still burn if I am not careful and if i stay out to long. Usually though with my base tan i just get even darker and it is a deep bronze color.

It can be bad for your skin but the sun CAN be bad for anyone. Burning does the most damage and if you don't abuse it you should be fine. If you have any questions about tanning in the beds just ask! :p Just be sure to start off slow and work your way up! Example, I am dark but have not tanned since summer, I started tanning in my own bed 2 weeks ago and just got up to the 20 minutes 3 days ago!

Hi again,

Please don't take this as mean-spirited or confrontational, as I do value others' opinions, but the debate of whether to fake-n-bake vs. tan-in-a-can was covered in another thread that got closed earlier today for beating the proverbial dead horse. I really don't want to get my thread closed for beating it again!

For reasons entirely my own, I've chosen to go with the tan-in-a-can option. I'm not trying to get a base tan so I can tan more on top of it and I'm not trying to prevent sunburn by getting a spray tan. Just want to look good.

In that vein, was just looking for some informational tips on which kind of spray tan product or system is best and how they compare and stack up. Also how to maintain the "tan" as long as possible and how to extend it if possible.

I have tried the Neurogena product as well as the Jergen's gradual tan (or whatever it's called) and had good luck with both. The problem with them is that I can't reach everywhere I want to cover and (no offense to my DH) I'm not sure he'd be able to apply it to my hard-to-reach spots carefully enough to not have it streak.

I may just do a few spray on sessions before leaving and take some of the do-it-yourself stuff to touch up during the cruise.

I also need to check and see if the onboard spa/salon offers the spray on tanning. That would be a real money-maker for the ships, I'd be surprised if they hadn't thought of that one already!

I'll be careful to stay out of the sand and surf (not much of a beach gal anyway unless I'm there to scuba dive) and I did read somewhere else that chlorine is a no go too, so I'll stay out of the hot tub.

Thanks again.

Thanks Claire. One more thing. I looked on the Mystic website and it says to exfoliate and moisturize prior to being sprayed...it seems like if you do both you'll have a coating of moisturizer on top of your skin that would keep it from absorbing. Was that your experience? Also (okay, that's two more things), what is "Mystic Plus?" Is that something different than just the Mystic?

A Mystic Plus was listed as lasting longer but my husband (and don't tell him I'm letting his quirky upkeep secrets out!) did the regular Mystic and I dont know if mine was really any more powerfull then his.

The attendent never mentioned premoisturizing. It might be one of those things they tell you to do and it gets you to come back sooner for more? I will say REALLY do apply the blocking lotion they give you there on the instructed spots. My first time I thought "But I WANT cute tanned toes!" and didnt smear it on my piggies.

They were straaaaangely tanned between toes!

Hi again,

I also need to check and see if the onboard spa/salon offers the spray on tanning. That would be a real money-maker for the ships, I'd be surprised if they hadn't thought of that one already!

Thanks again.

Althought my arms and upper body are dark (I usually travel in a wheelchair) my legs are quite light so I was thinking of the spray on tanning. I found out that MSC offers a "Sun Shower" for $15.00 and I plan on using it - not for a base, just so my bottom half matches the top.

Hi

I believe that you can have a spray tan on board the ship as I asked a smiilar question a few weeks ago. I am getting a spray tan for my wedding and I did not want to get it done and then it started to wear off in the middled of my cruise (honeymoon). I want to keep it looking good and as I have had skin cancer I cannot suntan or use sunbeds. I am hopeless at doing the tanning thing myself. I know just what you mean - a tan does look nice and I know only too well that white sksn in healthy skin but I like to have a bit of colour in the summer.

Happy Tanning xx

Archived