Aug Maasdam cruise, suggestions for hotels close to Logan airport and the cruise term

lkmamom

Hi, I know that this question probably belongs in the New England section, but it looks as though there is not a lot of activity there and I know that there are a lot of fellow cruisers from Boston on the HAL board.

We are planning for our second HAL cruise (LOVED the first one!) and August will be here before you know it!! Anyone have any suggestions for a good hotel that they would suggest. We will be staying a day precruise and a day post cruise. Our son would like to see Boston College, he is interested in going there so thought that we could sneak a peak in.

We do not plan to rent a car. It sounds as if the subway system will be easy to use:)

We are not as concerned with the price as we are with location and ease of getting around. Any suggestions that you could offer would be so appreciated! Thanks for your help, we cannot wait to for this cruise and to sail on the Maasdam. It sounds like a fabulous ship!

Linda

There are several nice hotels in the area:

The Seaport Hotel is near the pier.

There is a nice hotel at the airport. It used to be a Hyatt, but might be a Hilton now. At any rate, there has always been a Hilton at the airport.

If I were to choose a more convenient location, I would choose the Marriott Long Wharf. It is very close to the Aquarium, close to Quincy Market, close to day trips around Boston Harbor. You are very close to a T stop (The Aquarium stop on the Blue line which goes to the airport if you don't want to take a cab.

It is also not far from the North End where there are many excellent Italian Restaurants. The Blue Line also goes to Government Center, where you can change to the Green Line and a car that goes to Boston College (the designation is Boston College Commonwealth). If one doesn't come along right away, take any outbound car one stop to Park Street and change there.

I would check with the college to get directions via the T. It might be a long walk from the T to the administration buildings.

The change would be on the same platform.

At Park Street, you are at the Boston Common, where there is a booth for the Freedom Trail.

One very interesting sight is at the Charlestown Navy Yard. That is the home of the USS Constitution. They have tours of the ship which are very interesting. It has been many years since I took the tour, but it is designated as a national park and there are park rangers there. I think it might be free. You probably can find out online whether or not it still is free.

Also in the North End is the Old North Church from which they hung the lantern for "one if by land and two if by sea" for Paul Revere. His home is there in the North End also.

Incidentally, the sightseeing trolleys all go by the end of the little street the Marriott is on.

We're scheduled to take the Maasdam to Montreal on September 1st. We are really looking forward to a cruise that leaves from our home port. We almost decided to do a Back to back, but my husband has never been to Montreal and we want to do some sightseeing.

If you want more info about Boston, you can email me at Charles71mom@hotmail.com.

Roberta

Archived