sea and stay- San Juan

missemily

Some family members and I have booked a southern carribbean cruise on the Constellation in February. We are now considering booking a Celebrity "sea and stay" 1-2 day pre-cruise stay at El Convento in San Juan.

Has anyone done sea and stay through Celebrity in any port? What does it include? We have arranged airfare through Celebrity- will they charge us more for "custom airfare"? Is this when one would do the "shore excursions" offered through the cruiseline in San Juan?

I would like feedback as to whether we are better off booking everything ourselves or going through Celebity.

I know I am asking a lot of questions, but I would like some thoughts on the "sea and stay" program. Much thanks!

Hi,

We've done the Sea & Stay program with Celebrity and loved it! It's nice to feel like the cruise has begun even two or three days in advance. And wonderful to be relaxed and rested when the cruise begins.

Depending on how early you request to arrive you might have all kinds of time to do shore excursions in San Juan.

While it is correct that you could save money by booking things yourself, possibly you're uncomfortable doing so, or just prefer (as we do) to let Celebrity coordinate things for you. We both work long hours, stressful jobs, and appreciate the ability to "leave the driving" to others.

We've not been disappointed in how Celebrity meets early arrivals, transfers us to luxury hotels, sets up a hospitality room to coordinate local tours and excursions, and takes care of us getting to the ship on embarkation day. And last time we were significantly upgraded in our hotel room from a city view to an ocean view -- no extra cost. Of course, the latter could happen with self-booked packages, as well.

Do whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Hi, just a note about the El Convento Hotel. I stayed there a number of years ago on a precruise package with Princess Cruises. The Hotel is really a converted Convent. The building is over 300 years old, maybe 400, if I remember correctly. It is of classical Spanish style. All the rooms are off a courtyard, with a very nice restaurant situated in the courtyard. The rooms have very tall ceilings, I want to say 14 feet or higher. One side of the hotel faces up against a very narrow street, which is very common in old San Juan. You may not get much sleep if you get one of those rooms (I had one) as there are several bars across the narrow street. At least there used to be. Overall, a very nice Hotel located right in the heart of old San Juan, with lots of great restaurants located nearby.

Bill

Archived