Driving from Orlando to Port Everglades

Kellympmo

We will be driving from Orlando to Port Everglades on a Monday morning (1/15/07) for our Legend cruise. I was hoping someone could help with some questions:

Does anyone have any suggestions/opinions on what route to take?

How long it will take with traffic, etc.?

What time we should leave Orlando if we want to shoot for 11:30 or 12pm arrival at the port?

Is there a good place to stop close to the port

to get anything we may have forgotten, like a grocery store or a walgreens?

We will be parking our rental, so we will not have to return a car or anything.

As always, TIA!!

We are going on the Legend on the 3rd, I always take the turnpike, to 595 I think, east which runs right in to the cruise port. It should take you about 3 hours from Orlando, depending on traffic, I personaly would allow an extra half hour. Can't answer about the stores, haven't been there yet. Good luck and happy cruising.

We will be driving from Orlando to Port Everglades on a Monday morning (1/15/07) for our Legend cruise. I was hoping someone could help with some questions:

Does anyone have any suggestions/opinions on what route to take?

The Florida Turnpike is an excellent route, nice road, great signage and being a toll road it does not attract as much traffic as I-95.

How long it will take with traffic, etc.?

The trip usually takes 3 hours to Ft Lauderdale.

What time we should leave Orlando if we want to shoot for 11:30 or 12pm arrival at the port?

I'd start around 8am that would allow a pit stop along the way for a cup of coffee or restroom break.

Is there a good place to stop close to the port

to get anything we may have forgotten, like a grocery store or a walgreens?

The easiest place would be the Harbor Shops plaza on SE 17th Street. From the turnpike south take I-595 east. Take it to US1 North. Follow US1 North to SE 17th Street. Turn right. About two blocks east next to the Embassy Suites is the entrance to the Harbor Shops Plaza where you'll find a Publix Supermarket. There's a Walgreens and CVS on SE 17th Street as well.

Getting to the port from the Harbor Shops is a piece of cake. Leave the parking lot and turn right onto SE 17th Street (east) go about a block and a half/two blocks to Eisenhower Blvd. Turn right onto Eisenhower and you'll see the port security booth. Proceed to the checkpoint and they'll check your documents and give you directions to your ships terminal from there.

We will be parking our rental, so we will not have to return a car or anything.

As always, TIA!!

Have a great cruise. Here's a map of the SE 17th street area:

http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&oe=ISO-8859-1&hl=en&q=SE+17th+st,+ft+lauderdale,+fl&z=13&ll=26.111208,-80.111275&spn=0.071984,0.172005&om=1&iwloc=addr

Thanks so much guys!! I knew I would get the best info here. I tried to get info from some people I know from around there...but alas, they aren't as concerned about sharing the info. Again, thanks guys. Cannot wait!! Have a great cruise Caliber!

Archived