Luggage

Painter

I've never done it, but I've heard here that you can do that. Unless you travel very light, it's going to be a bit of a hassle getting it off. You're required to vacate your room by 8:00 AM, and may be hanging out until as late as 11:30 in the public areas until your group is called to disembark. However, at least for the trip we just returned from, our luggage was waiting for us when we came off - and we were in one of the earliest groups. Donia

Yes, but it is a pain in the ass for you and all of the other passengers. It will be waiting for you at the terminal. No worries.

I have no idea what you mean, most of the other pax were in cabins or at breakfast when we got off at 7:30, was your ass near the gangway and I missed it?

On our last trip, the announcement was made that passengers who were carrying their own luggage were invited to go at any time after the gangway had been opened. They weren't remaining in the lounges obstructing the public spaces with their luggage waiting to be called.

I just got off the Mariner of the Seas. They actually allowed people that carried their own luggage to get off the ship before they called the first color. They were not in anyones way at all.

So yes, on RCI they work with you to make it easy...

Sorry-I did not see that option listed when we went, but I might not have been looking. The only experience I had was a lady and her family towing thier luggage around at 9:00a on the Golden last week and knocking into people, forcing thier way into elevators, and finally camping out in the hall right by the gangway.

For those guests wishing to expidite their departure on Sunday morning, we are pleased to offer you express departure should you decide to participate in carrying your own luggage off the ship. To participate in the express departure process, please proceed to Guest Relations Desk on Saturday morning where you will receive a depatrure ticket. Once you have received a departure ticket DO NOT LEAVE YOUR LUGGAGE OUTSIDE YOUR STATEROOM ON SATURDAY EVENING. Instead, on Sunday morning after the ship has been cleared by Customs and Border Protection officials, an announcement will be made advising all ticket holders that they may depart the ship carrying their own luggage (approximately 7:30 am).

Straight from the departure sheets..... RCI Mariner of the Seas on 7/17/2004

Well, I NEVER leave my luggage out the night before. Both my wife and I travel with a rolling "flight bag" a bag that goes on top of the flight bag and over the telescoping handle and then we share a garment bag that just flops over one of our cases.

We always get "Red 1" tags and we always take a taxi and not a transfer.

And guess what - we are always within the first 10-20 people arriving at the airport and never have to worry about lines (at least from other cruise pax).

Sorry-I did not see that option listed when we went, but I might not have been looking. The only experience I had was a lady and her family towing thier luggage around at 9:00a on the Golden last week and knocking into people, forcing thier way into elevators, and finally camping out in the hall right by the gangway.

I agree that it would bog down the NORMAL pax flow but as you see, when done it is done prior to that flow. For us traveling on BC's rather than (another damn tax) passports we like to get to customs early. I would much rather spend an extra 2 hours at the airport than cut it close and worry about missing a non-refundable flight so we self assist off the ship now. And when we drive... all the more reason to get to the car and start the 5 hours in it.

Archived