What's the difference?

CruzinSouth

I've read so many times people being flammed for bringing an iron on a cruise, yet it's perfectly okay to bring a curling iron. I just started thinking - what's really the difference? A curling iron can cause a fire just as easily as a regular iron. Many curling irons do not automatically shut off and I have to be honest, I have made the mistake of not turning off mine at home, yet I always remember to unplug my iron. As for the heat, my curling iron gets pretty hot! I'm not trying to get flammed myself, I'm just asking an honest question and wondering what others think the difference is.

I'm no master electrician - im just going by what i've heard on the ships. Supposedly is a power-consuption/overload thing. I guess an Iron pulls more power than a Curling Iron. They say not to use a regular iron not becuase of the fire hazzard of forgetting it on (i assume a good bunch of irons nowadays have an auto-off feature) - but they dont want to "Overload the outlets"

I was probably one that you read about that was being flamed! :p We always take a traveling size iron. It is a little smaller and we have always left it out for plain view and have never been told that we could not use it!

Don't worry about getting flamed it is just their way of showing who ever will listen that maybe they may be able to control something for a minute or two! ;)

I was probably one that you read about that was being flamed! :p We always take a traveling size iron. It is a little smaller and we have always left it out for plain view and have never been told that we could not use it!

Don't worry about getting flamed it is just their way of showing who ever will listen that maybe they may be able to control something for a minute or two! ;)

Do you REALLY believe the cabin steward will say something and take a chance of his tip being withdrawn????

An iron is a REAL fire hazard anyplace, but fire is probably the WORST that could happen on a ship. Please think of your fellow passengers before you take the iron.

Whoever posted that an iron overloads the circuits is totally correct. DH is an electrical engineer and the two fire dangers with irons-overloaded circuits AND leaving an iron on in close contact to a flammable/combustible surface or object.

I had posted this elsewhere on the boards (dont remember where now).... if you're in dire need of a de-wrinkling, you can just hang your stuff on the line in the bathroom (outside the shower) and just let the shower run hot and let the bathroom just steam up.

It did the trick for me most of the time... and if that doesn't and you have enough time, there's always the ship's laundry service which can do ironing for ya.

Do you REALLY believe the cabin steward will say something and take a chance of his tip being withdrawn????

An iron is a REAL fire hazard anyplace, but fire is probably the WORST that could happen on a ship. Please think of your fellow passengers before you take the iron.

Whoever posted that an iron overloads the circuits is totally correct. DH is an electrical engineer and the two fire dangers with irons-overloaded circuits AND leaving an iron on in close contact to a flammable/combustible surface or object.

So is smoking, drinking and smoking, falling asleep and smoking I think you get the picture...;) I don't leave the iron on or plugged in, it does not take me all day to press a shirt or dress. I don't think 5-10 minutes first thing in the morning is going to harm anything! STARTTTT your flaming..... I know I know yada yada yada! Yes , ok, ahh, blah blah blah! :p ;)

I don't think 5-10 minutes first thing in the morning is going to harm anything! STARTTTT your flaming..... I know I know yada yada yada! Yes , ok, ahh, blah blah blah! :p ;)

You seemed to have missed the part about overloaded circuits. First thing in the morning or dinner time is maximum use of circuits on a ship, in a house, or in a hotel. Ever run out of water in a hotel early morning??? Ever been in a hotel where someone's hair dryer has blown a circuit? Most likely happened early morning or dinner time.

We all want to be safe in our travels. PLEASE leave the iron at home. Ironing on the bed on a towel is not a good situation.

Pressing done by the ship is relatively inexpensive and frees you to enjoy your vacation. Or use the ship's laundry and ironing board.

I read your post and did not miss a beat or word! ;)

How could I have ever guessed the time I said I was ironing someone would come back and say most busiest time?

Never been in a hotel where I ran out of hot water, never been in hotel where circuits were blown either. I must not have seen those hotels for 39.99 a night ;) . I never said I ironed on the bed!

IMO I think someone smoking in cabin poses more of a risk than me ironing my dress or DH shirt!

Taking 5-10 minutes a day to iron my clothes does not take time away from my enjoyable vacation.

Can you please tell the smokers to leave their smokes at home also? :o

It's obvious that some posters will continue to take an iron, no matter what.

Don’t give a rat's rump about circuits, safety, etc. Will rationalize it with others smoking, etc., so to make it SEEM OK. Always has been that way – always will be that way!

Don't waste your time on that type of individual...............

"The (ancient) Greeks believed that character was formed in part by fate and in part by parental training, and that character was exemplified not only by acts of bravery in battle but in the habits of daily conduct."

just a thought....What if....All of these posters just happened on the same cruise and were seated at the same dinner table........:eek: Murphy's Law!!!

7 people in wrinkled clothes and 1 freshly pressed....... Now that would be a site to see!!

:D

Personally I don't think there is a difference. Unless you are using your grandmothers iron from 1977 it is a good bet that it has an auto off feature. This option is not "standard" on curling irons. Additionally I don't remember any recent rash of ship board fires caused by clothes irons. :confused:

just a thought....What if....All of these posters just happened on the same cruise and were seated at the same dinner table........:eek: Murphy's Law!!!

7 people in wrinkled clothes and 1 freshly pressed....... Now that would be a site to see!!

:D

Greatam, with all due respect to your DH's title I am a praticing Master Electrician in Jax, Fl.. There are safety devices in place to prevent fire due to overloaded circuits. Yes some of todays irons due pull large number of amperes, I've personally come across some that pull up to 12 amperes while heating, but rest assured that the receptacle circuit you plug into your room is protected by either a 15 ampere or 20 ampere circuit breaker. From my Navy EM experience I would assume that your cabin receptacle circuit is on one breaker. If you do indeed pull more than what the breaker is rated for it will simply "trip" and you would loose receptacle power and have to call someone to "reset" the breaker. Let say the breaker does not trip and the wire feeding the receptacle heats and heats until it begins to burn. On ships the wire is in a metallic conduit that is designed to contain any fire. As the fire spreads along the wire the oxygen inside the conduit is quickly used up and the fire in effect will snuff itself out. Furthermore if the wire does burn in two one end of it will make contact with the metallic conduit and create what is called a "dead short" situation and if the individual breaker for that circuit has failed the "dead short" will more than likely trip the main breaker for the entire panel.

JMHprofessionalO

Greatam, with all due respect to your DH's title I am a praticing Master Electrician in Jax, Fl.. From my Navy EM experience I would assume that your cabin receptacle circuit is on one breaker. If you do indeed pull more than what the breaker is rated for it will simply "trip" and you would loose receptacle power and have to call someone to "reset" the breaker.

JMHprofessionalO

Hey Raj, FWIW, there aren't individual breakers for each room, the ship's crew will definitely know since it will trip power for several rooms. There was a thread not too long ago about a group of girls in one cabin that plugged multiple curling irons into a single power strip:eek:! Just proves that ignorance is bliss. They took down power for a block of rooms while the ladies were getting ready for formal dinner. For folks who don't know what an EM is, it's Electrician's Mate, so he does know exactly what he's talking about. Glad to make your acquaintance, I'm a retired nuke ETC(SS). Whether it's legitimate or not, RCL, I won't speak for other lines since I don't have experience with them, specifically says irons aren't allowed. It's like the alcohol threads, if you're going to do it, rules aren't going to stop you. Integrity is defined as doing the right thing whether or not anyone is looking. Too bad it's not that black and white. I don't follow all the rules, so I won't pass judgement, I will say that if you've never seen the inside of a shipboard fire fighting trainer, you have no idea what fire on a ship is like, if you did, it might change your mind about something as silly as dragging an iron with you to a cruise ship.

Happy sailing all, just another humble but educated opinion.

Not sure if this is the case on all ships, but on the Island Princess they have a iron and ironing board in the self service laundry room. I used that last time.

And for our upcoming cruise, we are going to try the Downey wrinkle release.

If the ship offered an iron and board for us to use I would certainly use it therefore freeing up space to pack something else. But to flame someone for taking a traveling size iron is yet another way to complain about something. I am sure ALL people break a rule or several rules, I have also seen other people take irons also! I am not making excuses for anything, I just know for sure that the ship CAN handle this iron and I also know I am not going to leave it on or plugged in while I am not there with it! :rolleyes: The flaming, name calling accusing and what ever else does not bother me in the least, just goes to show who the rude ones are! :p

Hey Raj, FWIW, there aren't individual breakers for each room, the ship's crew will definitely know since it will trip power for several rooms. There was a thread not too long ago about a group of girls in one cabin that plugged multiple curling irons into a single power strip:eek:! Just proves that ignorance is bliss. They took down power for a block of rooms while the ladies were getting ready for formal dinner. For folks who don't know what an EM is, it's Electrician's Mate, so he does know exactly what he's talking about. Glad to make your acquaintance, I'm a retired nuke ETC(SS). Whether it's legitimate or not, RCL, I won't speak for other lines since I don't have experience with them, specifically says irons aren't allowed. It's like the alcohol threads, if you're going to do it, rules aren't going to stop you. Integrity is defined as doing the right thing whether or not anyone is looking. Too bad it's not that black and white. I don't follow all the rules, so I won't pass judgement, I will say that if you've never seen the inside of a shipboard fire fighting trainer, you have no idea what fire on a ship is like, if you did, it might change your mind about something as silly as dragging an iron with you to a cruise ship.

Happy sailing all, just another humble but educated opinion.

Nice to meet you Chief. EM2, Elmer Montgomer FF1082, aka Sub Killer, 87-91. We may have chased you across the pond during some NATO ops.;) Your story backs my point though, I may be wrong about the individual breaker but the breaker did trip. Now as a nozzleman on number 2 hose, and many training classes in that little metal room full of burning diesel fuel you're right, fire on a ship is no fun.

It's obvious that some posters will continue to take an iron, no matter what.

Don’t give a rat's rump about circuits, safety, etc. Will rationalize it with others smoking, etc., so to make it SEEM OK. Always has been that way – always will be that way!

Don't waste your time on that type of individual...............

"The (ancient) Greeks believed that character was formed in part by fate and in part by parental training, and that character was exemplified not only by acts of bravery in battle but in the habits of daily conduct."

Ah, so you are one of these people that when things don't go your way you have to blame the parents, upbringing, character, and bravery! Don't worry I don't waste my time listening to things like you who think they are perfect and never break a rule!:rolleyes: GEt over yourself and don't worry about little things such as this, worry about those who are smoking their cancer sticks that will cause you to be diagnosed with cancer later, or fall asleep leaving their cancer stick lit and it starts a fire! :D

Thanks for everyone's views. I never thought about the possibility of overloading the circuits. I'll admit that I have taken my small travel iron before, but only used it once for about 2 minutes to get a bad crease out of my DH's tux at the last minute. Last cruise we just sent things out to be pressed. I actually liked the feeling of being a little more pampered while on vacation! ;)

I actually did overhear a steward on Freedom of the Seas telling some passengers in a cabin adjacent to ours that irons are not allowed. He had a very firm tone. the door was open and he was out in the hall looking in. I guess he saw them using an iron and he was not mincing words about the situation. Maybe it did impact his tip, but there was no arguing with him.

Archived