How to Learn to Scuba?

david d

We are going on our 7th cruise on February 17 (Princess Crown). We would like to Scuba but are not certified and have never done it. We will be in St. Kitts, Aruba, St. Thomas, Grenada and Bonaire. Does anyone know if we can do a class at one of these Islands where we learn to Scuba and get a dive in all in one session? I live in Solon OH (suberb of Cleveland) and to get certified locally takes for ever not to mention it costs a fortune. Thanks.

I agree with both of the previous posts. It all depends if you are really ready to go diving. On our honeymoon, my wife and I did the Discover Scuba excursion at Coki Beach and subsequently feel in love with diving. It was one of the most memorable shore excursions that we have ever done!

They go over a few of the basic skills and then take you into about 30 feet of water. The reef is beautiful and plenty of fish as well.

Another thing you can do is take the class work at a local dive shop and then do your check out dives on a week long Caribbean vacation at a dive resort or you could do the whole thing at the dive resort.

Check this website out: http://www.habitatcuracaoresort.com/divecourses.htm

Although we were already certified beforehand, we spent a week there. It was amazing! The easiest and best diving every!

Enjoy your trip,

Roger

Hello Scuba People.......

HELP!! This is all new to me. My son and grandson (age 10) are taking classes through the PADI (?) to learn this scuba stuff. They would like to be certified when we do our New Years cruise.

I am currently looking at cruises on the RCI Mariner and the Grand Princess. My research has told me that they offer certification. Is anyone familar with this and what other steps must I take to have them signed up for this?

Thanks for any advice or help.

Hello Scuba People.......

HELP!! This is all new to me. My son and grandson (age 10) are taking classes through the PADI (?) to learn this scuba stuff. They would like to be certified when we do our New Years cruise.

I am currently looking at cruises on the RCI Mariner and the Grand Princess. My research has told me that they offer certification. Is anyone familar with this and what other steps must I take to have them signed up for this?

Thanks for any advice or help.

Since its Jan. 12th today I assume the New Years is 11 1/2 months away. If they are currently in classes they'll be certified a looooong time before the cruise and the only delima will be deciding where to dive. If the cruise is coming up soon, I would need to know where they are in their classes in order to give you a meaningful opinion because there are lots of options.

Kent

PADI OWSI (retired)

Kent..... well I said I didn't know anything about this! :D

My grandson, who will turn 10 before the cruise and is starting the PADI Seal Team classes through a local scuba place. My son, who is also going to take classes, will then do a student referral on the cruise for their open water certification.

I"m just curious as to what we need to do to make arrangements on the cruise. I was hoping someone here could explain it if they have done this on a cruise.

Thanks.

Archived