Pool/Water Fun for 18 month old-NCL or RC

roxannex

Hiya,

I know that on most of the cruise ships non potty trained kids can't go in the pools. We're looking into the Norwegian Spirit and the Royal Carribean Freedom or Liberty of the Seas for July or August.

Does anyone know if there are any pools/splash zones that an 18 month old could go in on either of these ships? A wading pool or splash zone would be nice.

Thanks!

Ok, back to the OP's original question. Sorry your first post at this board has always been a heated topic here.

Disney Cruise Line is the ONLY ships that I have ever come in contact with that have a toddler spray area (Mickey's left ear). No other cruiseline, especially RCCL (even the Freedom) has that option. I complain here often that I wish RCCL had added that option TO Freedom with the thousand other things on board...but oh well. :rolleyes:

Your other option is to bring buckets for the baby to splash around in, or an inflatable baby pool. I can tell you from experience that my kids (age 2 and 6...both well potty trained ;) ) usually refuse to go into the pools because they are 1) FREEZING COLD 2) So deep.

We always wait till we get to the beach to have our water play days.

Have a great cruise whatever you decide.

Well we may now know why do many people are getting sick on cruise ships. Pooping kids in pools infecting others. All the hand washing in the world won't get that filth out of your eyes. mouth, etc. I thought it was only NCL ... silly me. Cruise lines need to get a handle on this problem ASAP.

Who's putting an ill child in a pool to begin with?

........the one that does not know the kid is ill .......until the diarrhea shows up in the pool......:mad:

..........18 months is way too young..........crap in your own pools not ours....:mad:

........the one that does not know the kid is ill .......until the diarrhea shows up in the pool......:mad:

......ps.........I have seen it happen.......the pool is immediately drained.......and sterilized and not back into service until the next day.

Thanks for risking that....:rolleyes:

By GPoll189

"What I mean around the pool is that the were splashing on the rim of the pool and the children's feet were in the pool. And during this whole time I did not once see any passenger"

What does everyone think about this: Toddler in diaper (of course) using little cups, etc (fill and dump type stuff) on the edge of the pool. the butt not touching the water at all. Illegal?

Many people have mentioned bringing an inflatable pool for both bathtime in cabins without bathtubs, and for hanging out by the pool.

How does this work? How do you fill it up? How do you drain it? How do you blow it up? How do you lug it around?

We'll have our 11 month old daughter on a cruise in March, and I don't want to break the rules on this one. Some rules are meant to be broken and are generally harmless (bringing booze onboard...), but this one could neagtively affect a lot of people...

Thanks!

Careful Mapman...while that is perfectly allowed...and one of my suggestions in a private email, it also has been flamed on this board. I've brought a very small inflatable pool with a hand pump, super easy to inflate, takes the space of about two deck chairs, filled a few inched with a sand bucket. But...some know-it-all on this board said that it was rude to take up that deck space and literally 10 buckets of water from the pool. (there are floor drains that we drug it to for drainning)

Probably the same know-it-alls that think toddlers are the only ones infecting the pools. Some people are just ignorant and this forum is their avenue for displaying that.

Our last RCCl cruise has the pool closed during the belly flop contest because one of the guys threw up.

Fully potty trained kids have accidents, I'm quite certain that the pool has been closed by many "potty-trained" two year olds. Fully potty trained kids throw up in the pool. Grown men pee in the pool.

I don't know why people got so nasty about a private email. I don't understand the downright anger in people.

Whoever posted the comment about the CDC being against it, not true. The CDC advises the use of plastic pants with tight fitting elastic legs and waists over swimmer type diapers. If the CDC has abolished it altogether do you think you would ever see swimmer diapers allowed in public pools or water parks? It's the cruise lines decision, not the CDC's. That is a FACT.

As far as why people are getting sick, stand around in one of the public restrooms as notice how many ADULTS choose not to wash their hands, more disgusting than any pack of toddlers. At least toddlers aren't wipping their own butts.

Whoever posted the comment about the CDC being against it, not true. The CDC advises the use of plastic pants with tight fitting elastic legs and waists over swimmer type diapers. If the CDC has abolished it altogether do you think you would ever see swimmer diapers allowed in public pools or water parks? It's the cruise lines decision, not the CDC's. That is a FACT.

Sorry, I don't want to disagree with ya, but I have been on this board long enough to have seen the links to the CDC's rules (over and over again ad nauseum ;) )

The CDC does list non-potty trained children, even in swim diapers, from using the pools or hottubs on cruise ships.

See the bottom of page 4 under restrictions....

http://www.nspf.com/documents/articles/cdcarticles/cdccruiseshipregs.pdf

Public pools and water parks are chlorinated and use chemicals. Cruise ships do not use chemicals, like chlorine, in their pool.

So once again, it is the CDC's rules and not the cruiselines. Why would every cruise line forbid infants if that wasn't the case? (except Disney in the infant spray area...but this area drains completly away and is cleaned often)

The inflatable tub is a nice option, we took our 13 month old on a 2 week RCI cruise in November. We used the "Snug Tub" in the shower for baths, and brought it up on deck a couple of times. We filled it with the water from the shower by the pool and also drained it down the drain in the same shower. It is REALLY small, we would just set it up by our deck chair, it was not in anyone's way at all.

RCI was very strict about the policy, if I even dipped in my son's feet in the pool someone would come and ask me to take him out.

That being said - I did see two different toddlers (around 2 years old) in swim diapers the first day, their parents were told to take them out of the pool, and they magically reappeared with no swim diapers that afternoon and the rest of the cruise in the pools. YUCK.

Wow there is a ton of venom in people now a day's.

I'm taking my 2 year old on a cruise in just a few day's actually, and while it is a let down to her mother that she can't use the pool I look at it as just part of the deal. While I always try and be considerate of others when it comes to my daughter acting up and I completely understand that it's your vacation as well as mine, I usually am right on top of things when she is busy recreating an end of the world senario. But this is a two way street, for those that just want to get drunk and show their ass all the time, be prepared to get called on it.

So on that note those that want to know what cruise I'll be on with my daughter, it's RCI Rhapsody starting Jan 14th from Galveston. Hope you bought insurance so you can get a refund and thank you for th extra deck space.

Wow there is a ton of venom in people now a day's.

I'm taking my 2 year old on a cruise in just a few day's actually, and while it is a let down to her mother that she can't use the pool I look at it as just part of the deal. While I always try and be considerate of others when it comes to my daughter acting up and I completely understand that it's your vacation as well as mine, I usually am right on top of things when she is busy recreating an end of the world senario. But this is a two way street, for those that just want to get drunk and show their ass all the time, be prepared to get called on it.

So on that note those that want to know what cruise I'll be on with my daughter, it's RCI Rhapsody starting Jan 14th from Galveston. Hope you bought insurance so you can get a refund and thank you for th extra deck space.

You surely fit right in with the rest of us in the snake pit.

Archived