Tour operators/shore excursions

Tinasoftball

We are travelling with a group on 17 in February (6 adults, 11 kids ranging from 16 to 10). Rather than booking excursions through Carnival, we want to look into booking tours on-shore. None of the 3 families going have ever done this before, so how do you start?? These boards have been helpful - I saw Captain Marvins for the snorkel and stingray tour. But do you have to book before you arrive or is it safe to walk off the ship and try to book on shore? With 17 people, is it crazy to think that we all can get on the same excursion anyway? Any advice or help would be appreciated!

Tina;

We have a large group going in two weeks to the caymans, And have used a tour operator named Paula 3 times previously. She is awesome! She will customize a tour for your group or you can do the standard highlights of Grand Cayman tour. We are doing a combo land and sea tour, including lunch for 65.00 each. Her name is Paula Swaby-Ebanks. If you want to email me at bgrtravel@charter.net, I will be happy to pass along her email, phone, etc.

Jill

We were in Grand Caymen in May and did the Stingray/turtle farm tour through the ship. Just got back on 12/23 from going again. We reserved a trip through Captain Bryan's 50 ft Buccaneer Catamaran. IT WAS THE BEST EXCURSION WE EVER TOOK!! We went to stingray City, then snorkeled at the barrier reef and then at the coral gardens. Hubby says it was the best snorkeling since we left Okinawa 25 years ago. Our 20 something kids thought it was the BEST too! There was 9 in our group - for that large of a group, you need to make reservations ahead of time.

Valerie in SC

OK, Tina this should help you out more. this is the link to rum Point beach

http://www.caymankaivacations.com/AttractionsatRumPoint.htm

Paula's email is

pswabyebanks@yahoo.com

Ask here about Tour 2 that BGR Travel is doing 1/17/07. This is a combination of land and sea activities. We are doing a a city highlights tour, turtle farm, tortuga rum cake factory, hell, rum point beach,snorkeling, and stingray city. This includes stingray food and lunch at the Wreck Bar and Grill (run by the Hyatt) at Rum Point for 65.00 pp (adult price, we have no kids in our group) There we 30 in our group.

She is with Nativeway tours, and I believe she organizes the water part with the Red Sail group at Rum Point.

Jill

divamogul, we would be intersted in the customized tour you talked about. We are only 2 people. Do we really need a big group? We have already been to Grand Cayman and want to skip the Sting Ray trip this time. We are looking for a 2 reef snorkel stop and then some time at Rum Point. Do you think the person you recommend would have this type of tour?

Answering the question about what happens if the ship cannot stop at Grand Cayman. I had made reservations go to out with Native Way, but our ship was not able to stop due to bad weather / big surf. So I contacted them once I got home and they confirmed they would not charge us for something that was beyond our control. That alone made me sure that I will contact them again when I plan on coming to the island next time.

JoAnn

Nativeway will not charge if you have to cancel due to reasons beyond your control I booked the Rays Reef and Rumpoint tour. Swimming with the sting rays, snorkeling at the barrier reef and some semi secluded relaxation at rumpoint beach. The cost is $55 for Adults and $45 for kids. I am dealing with Sharon at www.nativeways.com I will be there in march.

I booked with Nativeway (http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/shiptours.html) based on recommendations here on Cruise Critic. I made the reservation over email and then called with my Visa number. There were four other people on our ship, and CC Roll Call, who took the same tour. The RRR tour is really well worth the money.

My photo gallery starts here for this tour: http://gallery.svee.org/displayimage.php?album=33&pos=54

Archived