Do seabands work??

Texas_firefighter

Hello cruisers, we will be going on our first cruise this month and my wife is a little concerned about seasickness. So, question is, do the seabands I have read so much about really work. Should we get onboard depending on these? :rolleyes: Where is a good place to get them before we sail?Thanks .

Hello cruisers, we will be going on our first cruise this month and my wife is a little concerned about seasickness. So, question is, do the seabands I have read so much about really work. Should we get onboard depending on these? :rolleyes: Where is a good place to get them before we sail?Thanks .

Any local drug store has them. Some people will swear by them while others claim they do not work. Some may even experience a placebo effect. Some will even go as far as using the bands, taking Ginger pills and bonine.

I have tried about everything for I get sick just riding in the car sometimes. The bands did not work for me at all. I use the Bonine and I also had my DR. prescribe me prescrip. for motion sickness. I also tried the Ginger and I could not take it because it was hard on my stomach which I have tealked to alot of people and they also said if you have a sensitive stomach ginger can be hard on you. I know what it is like and it is horrible to feel sick to your stomach.

Try something a week or two before you go and just see how you will handle it.

Good Luck

I like the bands - they work for me and don't have any side effects. What I like about them is that I can put them on if I get a bit queazy. I just don't like taking medications - I am on coumadin and many things - even "natural" don't mix well with it.

I have not tried the wrist bands for seasickness, but did try them when nauseus from pregnancy. They didn't work for me. Bonine is not prescription, I think the side effect would be drossiness. I plan on taking bonine or dramanine each night before bed, starting the night before cruise and also will have ginger on hand just in case.

the bands work well for my son, who suffers from motion sickness in longer car/bus trips; this developed in his teens, and he hasn't been on a cruise since he was 9, so I don't know if they'd work on a ship for him

On my last cruise, I took along the bands and also some over-the-counter meds (bonine and another one, don't remember the name) and ended up not needing any of them. My theory is, since they don't take up much room, "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" (which is why I also take Pepto Bismol tablets and Immodium on my trips!)

The Sea Bands have worked well for me, particularly when on a plane or small boat.

My experience with other items:

Pros

Sprite or 7up: I start to drink it the minute I feel queasy. After a few "safe" Sprite burps, I start to feel better!

Chew gum: Your saliva is a natural stomach settler. Chewing gum increases saliva and always settles my stomach.

Mints: Peppermint is another one that settles my tummy.

Bread or other bland food: I used to make the mistake of not eating when I felt queasy. I have since learned to "eat through it" and I feel much better.

Cons:

Bonine, etc: Makes me fall asleep. Guess then I don't have to worry one way or the other, but I miss all the fun!

Ginger pills: Hard on my stomach. In fact, they made me throw up. Rather counter indicated, I think!

Hope this helps and have fun on your cruise!

OCD here. Took my first and only (thus far) cruise in August from NY to the BHMS. Since it was August, I was scared of choppy waters and spending all that money to be miserable. I also have gotten carsick as an adult so I was extra cautious. I went to CVS/Eckards and stocked up on pepto, ginger, B vitamine, bonine, sea bands, rolaids, tums and some other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting. I took the bonine before getting on the ship (as recommended) and wore the sea bands. It DOES take a few days to get used to the constant motion of the boat (and a few hours to get used to still land when you get off the boat). But it was not a sickness, I just felt "off".

The sea beands were more of a nuisance than beneficial so I left them in the cabin after the second day. And they didn't go with ANYTHING I wore. You'll see only a few people wearing them. They really may have helped, at least with giving me peace of mind. But DO bring the rolaids! The saved me from a lot of indigestion from the amount of food I ate!

P.S., with the exception of duty-free items (cigarettes and booze) you pay out the wazoo for anything on board.

I can't speak for the sea bands since we didn't use them. All I can say is if you hit a storm, go down to the doctor for a shot. Our first cruise ever and our first night out and we hit a tropical storm in October 2003. We were ok, but one of our tablemates at dinner got sick. She was absent for hours, but much better when we saw her and she said the shot did the trick. As for the bands, you might want to find out if your wife has carpal tunnel syndrome or is starting with symptoms of those. I can't imagine using bands with my hands, but then my carpal tunnel was bad and then I had surgery. I now have repetitive strain injury.

Has anyone tried those seasickness patches? I know they are only available by prescription. Do they work? Any side effects?

I have tried Dramamine in the past, but my stomach is sensitive and it made me soo sleepy.

Thanks!

Mary

The seabands did work for my mom and 2 aunts perfectly well. But, don't worry if you need dramamine the infirmary on your ship will have that as well as the patch, which I would highly recommend. The patch is a prescription you can get from your physician. You will see many many people walking around the ship with a little round "band aid" behind their ear.

Someone I travelled with got seasick and the infirmary was great. no charge for the dramamine, i think it was around 20.00 for the patch.

Jill

Is bonine prescription?Did you have any side effects with it?

No to both questions. But..start it a couple of days before you go to make sure you don't get sleepy. If you do take only 1/2 at a time and 3-4 hours later take the other half. That is what I do! But I also take prescription along with Bonine because I really suffer from motion sickness. Even riding in a car I get sick if I am not driving. It is just an inner thing happening and some are more prone than others.

Good luck and if you have any other questions feel free to ask. :)

Guest rfrenchbaxter

My entire family gets sick especially On Board! :D It is like a chain reaction when the kids start throwing up and it is not a pretty site. WE all use Bonone and Dramamine but kids have to take 1/2 dose. If regualer Dramamine we take 1/2 does because it does make us drowsy.

Has anyone tried those seasickness patches? I know they are only available by prescription. Do they work? Any side effects?

I have tried Dramamine in the past, but my stomach is sensitive and it made me soo sleepy.

Thanks!

Mary

My Family and I have all tried the patches. Only two out of the 12 of us had problems with the patch. We both experienced dry mouth, blurry vision, and memory loss. Yes they do work but the side affects are horrible. If I were you I would try them before you leave to see if you have any side affects. Different meds. affect different people. I will stick with Bonine and prescription from Dr. I know it is full proof.

Good luck!

If you want take the Dramamine try taking only 1/2 and then 2-3 hours later the other half. But again try this before you go to see what affects you may experience.

:o Since Dramamine (even the "less drowsy") still makes most people very tired, I also recommend an Rx from the doc. I recently cruised and took an Rx called Scopace, which is the pill form of the Transderm patch. The only side effect for me was dry mouth, which sucks, but you get used to it and drink lots of water. I ended up taking 3 pills in a week and each time I took a pill I had less dry mouth (or I was getting used to it). My cousin used the patch and didn't experience any side effects. Scopace started effecting me within the hour and the patch takes up to 4 hours to work. I recommend trying any new medications before going on the cruise to see how you react. I have also heard from the crew that GREEN APPLES work. They should have plently of green apples that you can request from your steward. Hope this helps!

• 4 months later...
The Sea Bands have worked well for me, particularly when on a plane or small boat.

My experience with other items:

Pros

Sprite or 7up: I start to drink it the minute I feel queasy. After a few "safe" Sprite burps, I start to feel better!

Chew gum: Your saliva is a natural stomach settler. Chewing gum increases saliva and always settles my stomach.

Mints: Peppermint is another one that settles my tummy.

Bread or other bland food: I used to make the mistake of not eating when I felt queasy. I have since learned to "eat through it" and I feel much better.

Cons:

Bonine, etc: Makes me fall asleep. Guess then I don't have to worry one way or the other, but I miss all the fun!

Ginger pills: Hard on my stomach. In fact, they made me throw up. Rather counter indicated, I think!

Hope this helps and have fun on your cruise!

These are all great suggestions!!

Anise Candies work well. They are black licorice flavored, not the "fake" black licorice like the black hard candies you get, these are clear white, and a "crisp" licorice flavor. Those with peppermint candies help.

Anise and Peppermint not only settle tummies but are very good for your digestive system. =)

I am a very motion sickness prone girl. If I sit in the back of a car, it has to be in the middle so I can look straight ahead.

i have never used any of these seabands or ginger.... my first cruise i was sick the first night but i think that was the booze! or maybe i got sea sick i just dont know........

but it does feel odd when you have been at sea for 3/4 days then walk on dry land... that did make me feel a little sick :)

i have never used any of these seabands or ginger.... my first cruise i was sick the first night but i think that was the booze! or maybe i got sea sick i just dont know........

but it does feel odd when you have been at sea for 3/4 days then walk on dry land... that did make me feel a little sick :)

A friend of mine that is an attorney (I don't hold that against him), gets extremely motion sick, both car, airplane etc. and he swears by them. Hope that helps as I use the patches the first few days and then normally forget after that. Good luck.

Archived