Tell me about your Alaskan cruise with your toddler!

onmiown3

Hi CC,

I tried searching this board for the word "Alaska" but I keep getting an error message!

My family is boarding the Serenade of the Seas in July to cruise the 7 day Hubbard Bay route in honor of my Dad's 60th birthday. My son will be 17 months old at the time and we are waffling on whether to take him or not.

We just finished a 7 day cruise on Carnival Destiny without the baby and my husband is now convinced that taking a toddler on a cruise will be a huge undertaking.

Please tell me about your experiences, good or bad, on this type of cruise. How were your excursions? Would you do anything differently? Were there many kids under two years of age?

Thanks!

Kim

We took our then almost 3 yr. old daughter and our turning (on the cruise) 11 yr. old son on a cruise to Alaska in June (link to review below). It was the little one's 4th cruise and the 11 yr. old's 8th cruise.

We started cruising with our daughter first at 14 mos. and the next cruise at 16 mos. She's a easy-going child and a regular traveler (she's probably flown 10-15 roundtrips).

Alaska typically has an older crowd, so probably few little kids. RCCL kid's program starts at 3, but they do have in-cabin babysitting if you and your hubby want time alone and daily scheduled playtime with a parent (Aquatots).

I don't think I'd do anything differently. Every excursion was well thought out with both kids in mind and way in advance.

This was a family reunion cruise for my in-laws 40th wedding anniversary and I wanted both kids there. My sister-in-law did bring her 19 mo. old daughter, too.

Thanks Lisa! I read your review and it sounds like you had a great time!

I think I'd be more confident about taking our son if we were doing a Carnival cruise because their facilities/programs are great for young families.

Took our 3 1/2 and 5 yr old. in July , inside passage on the NCL SUN. We all had a great time . There where more kids than I would have expected. But being summer with more familys taking cruises I garuntee you will not be alone. That said , a 17 month old will be a bit tougher but thats up to you . We have done both , cruised with the kids ( several times) and we have left them with grams& gramps.

Im sure you will have a moment of clarity and make the right choice for YOU..

Sail on

mpk

We cruised on NCL Star with our then 1 1/2 year old son a few years ago. He loved it. My dh and I took turns taking excursions in a few of the ports. We also had a portable DVD player. We are taking our now 4 year old and nearly one year old on our next cruise in April. :-)

Archived