Airfare Through Cruise Line

There are no guarantee of times. Unless you do an air deviation (where you pay extra to choose your own flights), they will put you on whatever is cheapest for them at the time they actually book your flights which is usually 60 to 90 days out. What that means is it could be the non-stop with great times, or more likely could be the flight leaving early in the morning with multiple connections.

If you are concerned about flight times, then you might call and see how much it would be to do custom air and choose your own flights. The cost is usually $50. If they don't have any flights at their contract rate, then you would also have to pay the difference in airfare (I've never had to do this though). When you call, have a list of flights that you would be okay with to check against.

My son and his GF took a cruise from San Juan last month and purchased air through the cruise line. They had no problems with their flights. Flew from Columbus OH to Charlotte NC and then on to SJ. They left around 7:00 in the morning and got in to SJ around 2:00. Their layover in Charlotte was around 1 hr. Had the same experience coming home. No complaints from them! They traveled US Air. I know a lot of people have complaints about their flights but it may depend on where you're flying from. We've used it in the past and have never experienced any problems.

If you are not leaving right away try checking around for cheaper flights and times. WE booked our flight in the beginning with RCCI and the cost was 399.00 per person leaving from Cincinnati going to San Juan. We later found flights through PL for 170.00 per person. We also got to choose or times and seats. We do have a lay over both ways and total time spent going there and coming home is 7 hours.

Good luck and let us know how you came out!

but only on the first accepted flight. We told RCCL that we wanted CO nonstop #189 CLE-MIA in April for Brilliance TA. My TA sends me an email that they booked us on AA CLE-MIA but it was a 60 seat express jet with no guarantee luggage arrives with you. So I told her NO. Then RCCL sends her USAir CLE-CLT-MIA again 2 40 seat express jets. Again I say NO. She is told that is all they have!!!! So I tell her to tell them #189 is only $84 not $175 for USAir.

They call my TA back yesterday that I can have the flight for $75 PP additional for air deviation. She tells them we are Diamond & they state they gave us 2 flights already. But they are booking us on it so she paid the $150 charge.

If I wanted to book ourselves at $84 each & have them fly us home from Barcelona they would go only to MIA not CLE. They tell her that we board Brilliance in Miami & RCCL didn't fly us to MIA from CLE so they won't pay to fly us home. So look out as RCCL air is getting very ridiculous. My TA has plenty of folks ticked at the air they are getting. At least I get my air 4 months prior not 30 days like some here.

I have let RCCL book our flights 4 times. One was from the midwest to San Juan. All four left around 7 a.m. and had one connection (which I expected since we don't live near a major hub like ORD). At the end of the cruise, all except one returned around 2 p.m., including the one from SJ. This last one didn't leave until 6 p.m. which was not great. We had planned a last day excursion, but since it was cancelled we were stuck. RCCL gives us better rates than I can do on my own so I've gone with them.

Jan

We are on the Empress the end of this month and we booked our air thru RCI. We are leaving from Cedar Rapids, IA and fly thru Chicago. We leave here at 7, leave Chicago at 9:15 and are in San Juan at 3:50. We thought that was very reasonable. Coming back we are in Cedar Rapids before 6. We have crusied 3 times and this is the 1st time we've let them book it. So far, no problems. No I can hardly wait to go.

We would be flying or of ORD, which is a major hub, so I am hoping to get direct flights. Do you thinks this is possible???? I know there are direct flights from ORD but they are really expensive. Does anyone think they will go down before 3/11?

Changing planes isn't the big deal, losing my luggage is.

We flew from ORD to San Juan three years ago. We also went through the RCI because it was spring break and they were cheaper than booking myself. We decided to go down a day early since it was such a long flight and you just never know about March in Chicago. We were given US Air down through Charlotte and Delta back through Atlanta. I'm sure that since it was spring break the direct flights were booked up by the time they booked our air.

I definately recommend going a day early. We were told about 150 people missed the cruise because a Delta flight lost an engine and had to turn back and they could not get the people there in time.

We would be flying or of ORD, which is a major hub, so I am hoping to get direct flights. Do you thinks this is possible???? I know there are direct flights from ORD but they are really expensive. Does anyone think they will go down before 3/11?

Changing planes isn't the big deal, losing my luggage is.

3/11 is prime spring break time. I would not expect the cost of flights to go down within the next 2 months. I cruised out of San Juan on 3/11 last year, and the day we flew back all the flights were overbooked.

If you've already booked cruise air, you can call when you are at 60 days out (next week) and see what flights they've put you on.

I am lucky I can drive to a good portion of the ports so flying is not an issue. Last summer for Alaska from Pensacola to Seattle RCI wanted over $500 per ticket I booked with Delta myself for $303. For our Hawaii cruise which is multi segment there was no way I could afford to do that on my own. On my own the price is $1500 a piece! With RCI it is about $725 and includes transfers. No matter what cruise I do we always get there the night before and try to get on the first flight of the day as the day goes on there are more screw ups and we never do curb side check in either.

Lexi

Archived