OT: Rogue Waves

tjevans

We had a rogue wave hit us on the Jubilee back in 1998 crossing the Pacific.

It was scary as all hell.

Ship listed so bad that the pools emptied, the dining rooms and gift shops were trashed, and my wifes bed, which was under the window, started sliding to the door. If we had tipped on our side, we would have been above water, but I never studied the Poseidon Adventure that well to figure out an escape route!

Did we REALLY need to know this?????? :eek:

I'd rather stay oblivious. It's why I don't watch the nightly news!!!!

Oh come on Halos....this would be better than an E ticket ride at Disneyland!

Anyone remember that clip from another cruise site? It was one that shot in the dining room (?) of the QM2 and this huge wave hit the side of the ship.

It was the QM2 from a stateroom. WILD!
Yes it was wild. I think I'd probably wet myself LOL.

I think we may be talking about two different ones? The one I have the poster on that other board gave a brief synopsis and I believe he said that it was the dining room and there were several people that were "vocal" for the lack of a better word.

I've got it saved but I'd sure like to be able to link it to this thread *grin* (just for Halos ;))

I am looking for the video, as I know I sent it out to all cruisers I knew, but I can't find it. Maybe it's on my home PC.

If you find it please email it to "me" at AOL. I'll try to find the one I have. I just looked at it the other day when I was dumping everything on zips.

Yes it was wild. I think I'd probably wet myself LOL.

I've got it saved but I'd sure like to be able to link it to this thread *grin* (just for Halos ;))

LIV...Go ahead...make fun of me!!! :D Just as long as I don't get one of those rogue waves when I'm in that rubber raft!!!!! :eek:

Wow, I've never seen anything like that, thank goodness! I've never heard of those types of waves before. Did sail on a ship that, years later, sunk off the coast of Africa. All passengers were saved (the captain and crew LEFT ALL THE PASSENGERS-the entertainers on board saved everyone!). Don't know if it was caused by a rogue wave or not. Very strange feeling see a ship you've sailed on go down. Thankfully, no souls lost. It was covered in the news several years back.

LIV...Go ahead...make fun of me!!! :D Just as long as I don't get one of those rogue waves when I'm in that rubber raft!!!!! :eek:

Not making fun of you Halos! Would that be the raft you're in that's behind the ship? :D

Not making fun of you Halos! :D

That's OK Liv...you always make me laugh!!

and no, I won't be behind a ship...I'll be on a river, watching out for River Rogues!!!! Hey...it could happen!! :D

That's OK Liv...you always make me laugh!!

and no, I won't be behind a ship...I'll be on a river, watching out for River Rogues!!!! Hey...it could happen!! :D

LOL....TY.

That's RIGHT...you are going rafting soon!! Are you going to have the waterproof camera with you? My S/O sent me a pic of rafting and of course being the rafting virgin that I am asked her if she was trying to kill me. LOL. She told me that pic was of Class IV rapids :eek: and needless to say I was very relieved!!

the chances are like getting struck by lightening. People do get struck, but the chances of it being you are slim to none.

But what about the 2500 other people you will be with? How are their chances?

LOL....TY.

That's RIGHT...you are going rafting soon!! Are you going to have the waterproof camera with you? My S/O sent me a pic of rafting and of course being the rafting virgin that I am asked her if she was trying to kill me. LOL. She told me that pic was of Class IV rapids :eek: and needless to say I was very relieved!!

Waterproof camera...LOL!! You have got to be kidding! I am the photographer in the family, and seeing that I will be holding on for dear life...and when I'm not, I'll be holding my hands folded in prayer, I don't think taking photos will be a possibility!! :eek: I am going one week from Saturday. :)

Before Jay Leno was rich and famous, he used to put out books of humorous newspaper headlines that had actually been published, but probably shouldn't have been. Speaking of rogue waves, I remember there was one from about WWII time from a paper in New Jersey. The headline read: "HURRICANE HITS ATLANTIC CITY". Underneath that, it said, "Sailor is blown under the boardwalk by a big wave." :rolleyes: At least Jay Leno and I thought it was funny.:D

Archived