Question about Captain Marvin's Stingray tour

L&J

My husband and I are going on our first cruise in a few weeks. We have booked the snorkelling / stingray tour through Captain Marvin's (Grand Cayman) due to all the fabulous reviews on the CC boards. I've read that you can order a DVD of your tour for $60. Has anyone out there ordered it? Is it worth the money? How long would it be? Is it just footage of your personal tour group? I'm just wondering if we could capture our own video/pictures....or leave the cameras on the ship and buy their version. Any advice?:confused:

I can't speak for the DVD that you would get from Captain Marvin because we didn't go with him but we bought the DVD from Captain Bryan and am glad we did. We had our own waterproof camera's but it was very rough that day. Most of the pictures we took weren't very good because it was just too rough to get your shot set up. Every time I'd try, a big wave would just knock me down just as I was about to shoot and ruin the shot. The ones taken by the professional were very good. My husband and son were able to view them before deciding if we wanted to order the DVD. The DVD was mailed to us later. Of course, besides us, there were also many pics of strangers on it but that was OK. In fact, there was a nice picture of the daughter of one of our roll call members on it and they didn't buy the DVD so I was able to e-mail them a copy of the picture. Also, there were only still shots, no video. I have no idea what kind of photography Captain Marvin uses tho so maybe this is of no use to yo at all. I just wanted to share my experience.

My DDs and I went with Captain Marvin's in August and purchased the DVD (it was $50). I think it was well worth it! The DVD is of everyone on the boat--the videographer went around and met everyone on our way out and took shots and then did a very balanced DVD of everyone with both the stingrays and at the snorkeling stop. There are some great shots of my DDs on it!

The videographer played a preview of it on the way back in, and that cinched it for me--there was footage of all three of us kissing one of the rays and some wonderful shots of my 20-year-old DD snorkeling. As she would say, "Good times!"

Cheers!

Jayne

:)

thanks everyone!

Jayne - so there was actual footage, not just stills? Should I still bring my digital camera or would you leave it behind? I'm the type of person who will probably regret it if I don't buy the video when I have the chance. After all, how many times am I going to be kissing stingrays in the future?

We too purchased the DVD from Capt. Marvin, ours is special because Capt. Marvin actually went with us, very old dear man. I wouldn't trade our DVD for anything, our 11 DD freaked out over the Rays, imagine this over the years it will be priceless! It cost 50 and you could use cash or cc. Not sure what ship you will be on, we did the Inspiration and it took almost the entire stop there for our tour. But well worth it, enjoy!

We didn't buy the DVD from Capt. Marvin's, but the photographer who was with us showed it to us on the return ride. He had some good shots, but mostly of other people. I didn't want to spend the money on something that we would only watch a couple of times and then put away on a shelf to gather dust.

We went in August too, and it was well worth the $50, there were shots of everyone on the boat. First going around and having everyone wave to the camera etc, all this done before the snorkel trip, then underwater footage of everyone snorkeling, then onto stingray city with more of everyone with the rays and kissing them etc.

We almost didn't buy the DVD because I forgot to bring cash or credit card. They were really nice, they told me that I could email them with my credit card information when we got back to the ship. I sent them the info and within a week after being home, we got the video. Really enjoyed it, plus it is done nice with background music.

Its true about only watching it a few times, but its a nice memory to have that I am happy I have.

Jayne - so there was actual footage, not just stills? Should I still bring my digital camera or would you leave it behind? I'm the type of person who will probably regret it if I don't buy the video when I have the chance. After all, how many times am I going to be kissing stingrays in the future?

Yes, she used an underwater video camera--she was in scuba gear so spent most of her time underwater filming (except for catching everyone kissing the ray).

They didn't have a photographer taking stills, so we took the kissing shots with our waterproof disposable cameras--they turned out pretty good considering. I also took my digital as well and got some great shots from the boat.

It was a great experience and we've watched the DVD several times. My youngest is only 11, so it's something will always cherish. Our older DD is home from college for winter break right now and we watched again the other night. IMHO, well worth it! :D

Jayne

Archived