For Princess cruisers who have been on RCI

flagger

I am looking for what would be the equivalent experience (cabin) to a JS on the Brilliance of the Seas (or any of the Radiance class vessels).

A Junior Suite on Brilliance is:

Two twin beds (can convert into queen-size), private balcony, private bathroom with bathtub and a sitting area with sofa bed. (293 sq. ft., balcony 66 sq. ft.)

I see a Mini-suite on Coral Princess for the date and Itin I am looking for. It says:

Twin beds that make up into a queen-size bed. Separate sitting area with sofa bed and desk. Two televisions. Walk-in closet and bathroom with tub and shower. Approximately 280-302 square feet including balcony.

So which one from AF at $2019 pp to AA $2374 would be closest to a JS? Even with the cruise being one less day, the difference in price is pretty big from RCL to Princess.

Thanks.

You will find on Princess that the main difference in the mini suites is location. Other than that, the rooms will be pretty much the same. So, if you choose where you would like your cabin located, you can find the price for that category. Remember, one cabin this way or that can make a difference in the price as the lcatagory changes. On the Coral, it shows that category AF minis do not have a balcony, but that AA, AB, AC and AD's do. Here is a site to check out the virtual tour.

http://www.virtualtoursusa.com/tours/coralprincess/minisuite.htm

There are many virtual tours online if you wish to see the actual 360 views of the mini suites on the Coral.

Yes, a mini on Princess will definitely compare to a JS on one of the Radiance Class ships of RCI.

Thanks.

The difference in price $500-$1000 less on Princess versus Brilliance for essentially the same itin we are looking at. Of course the $500 difference is 11 day RCI versus 10 day Princess and they go to their private island, but I am not sure if that is worth $500.

We are platinum on RCI and are late 30's with what will be an almost 5 year old who will have five cruises under her belt when we take this future cruise, but not sure about Princess as we have only done RCI as well as Celebrity with one on Disney still to come. Oh yeah that Freedom Of the Seas trip 3 days away now. :D

Flagger, welcome to Princess! You would need to deduct an average balcony size on Princess to get the actual square footage, I'm guessing 30-50 sq ft? Also, be sure to ask about cabin locations on these boards before you book. Some minisuites aren't covered and are fully exposed to the elements. The folks here can you help you figure out if any cabin you're interested in has a cover or not, plus there are some balconies that because of their location, are in full view of other balconies. I'll try to find the link to a website that explains all these in great detail.

Thanks.

I am an aft facing cabin person normally, but there are none on Coral. We prefer to be on the AFT in general and I was looking at the Dolphin deck on Coral. Maybe an AC. I like the two tvs for DD and the space of a mini, but we do not need more than that at this time. I love to lounge on the balcony with a book and watch the world go by.

I know the Brilliance has lots of glass areas and gets lots of rave, but saving money is worth it as well. I just know we have a chance at a longer cruise in 2008 and want to go to ports never before so a Panama Canal and back to embarkation port appeals to us.

Thanks for the info.

So far I am Loyal to Royal, but loyalties can be bought or in this case saved.

I am an RCI fan, too, but it doesn't hurt to try something new, especially if you can save a lot of money. If price is within $200-300 between the two, I would pick RCI, more than that I would go with Princess. Princess is great for exotic itineraries and small ships, we are sailing on the Tahitian this summer, first time on a small ship. RCI has the big ship thing down to a science. Just got off the Jewel in December and the Radiance class is my new favorite. The Coral/Island are smaller thab the Radiance class, I think.

I needed to find that Coral/Island website for my parents, too. They are booked on the Island for a cruise tour this summer in C318. The BA cabin is tiny so I'm trying to figure out whether they should pay more and upgrade to a minisuite. They would then get a bathtub, new bedding, and of course more space, but would give up the larger balcony on Caribe deck. Good luck!

Actually I think I may just book the Brilliance while onboard and see with my OBC and Platinum balcony discount what the difference ends up being. RCI has not yet implemented Princess' $100 hold a cruise for awhile deposit.

I might just follow your advice though if the difference is only $200 so when all is said and done. I might also ask on the RCI board as well.

Thanks for all of your help.

We have been on the Radiance and the Jewel of the Seas (also Radiance class) and on the Diamond Princess. If you are a balcony dweller as we are, there is a difference in size not only of the balcony but also the cabin itself. Square footage may be essentially the same but a JS and a mini-suite are shaped a bit differently. The JS is wider across though a tad less in depth. This makes for a more spacious balcony and the appearance of more square footage inside as there is more room between the foot of the bed and the vanity/desk area. The mini-suite has more depth but you then loose the width on the balcony making the cabin overall feel and appear a bit tighter.

I feel, overall, it is a toss up trying to compare the two cabins. One will have an advantage in one area (balcony size with privacy) but the other will have the advantage in another (two TV's). I think all things being equal, I would have to make my decision based on price. $500-$1000 dollars is a HUGE difference in price.

Hope I haven't mucked up the waters even more. I think you will have a bang up vacation which ever you choose! Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to try and compare apples and apples when I return. I get an OBC if I book next week plus a discount on a balcony because I am platinum on RCI. If the difference is only say $200 between the two, then I think I will stick with RCI because of past cruiser benefits and it would be one more cruise towards Diamond.

However, all things considered it is ok to branch out. We loved Celebrity and we feel Princess will be similar as far as our tastes/ fellow pax etc. Thanks again for all of the insight.

Archived