Cingular cell phones beware!

Welcome to the 21st century....

You might as well get used to cell phones onboard. They ain't going away...

Look around the next time you cruise and you will note that the biggest users of cell phones are the officers and staff! No doubt the cruise lines cut a deal with Cingular which gives them very favorable rates...

What better way for the staff to stay in touch...

LL

Okay, don't have the patience to read this entire thread, but thought I'd share my experience. If it's a duplication, I apologize, but maybe it can help someone else in the future.

I took a 3 day weekend cruise last month and was surprised to see some extra charges on my phone bill as well. The last night of the cruise, I could see the Florida shoreline, so I turned the phone on for the first time on the trip to see if I had a regular signal. Cingular at Sea it said; okay I understand what that means.

But, surprised to see that because I simply turned ON the phone that I was then charged for anyone who tried to reach me while I was on the 3 day cruise, even though the phone was in the safe and turned off up until the last night! Now, THAT I didn't expect! Nor did I have control over those callers as well. That will result in a call to Cingular.

How many have read every detail about cellular calling at the cingular web site?

How many people here who claim to know all about how their cell phone works, know that their international call capable phone will NOT work if you fly over seas...not at any price? How many of you think you could fly to Europe and use your phone overseas simply by dialing it?

:D

And why should flying or cruising be any different?!. I expect my GSM phone to work when I get off the ship in the Caribbean, and it does, I also expect my GSM phone to work when I get off the plane in Europe, and guess what, it still does. I just turn it on, it connects to a network, and I make and receive calls. No Problem Mon!:D

Archived