Limited time in Vancouver...what to do???

We will be debarking in Vancouver early (relatively) in the am and will be taking Amtrak that evening (6pm) back to Seattle and want to know what to do in that time that gives us the most bang for our time. Any suggestions??? Thanks :)

Hello Cruisecat!

There is an exhibit at the Science World in Vanc which ends soon (January ??), not sure when you will be in our part of the world, however, here is the link. BODY WORKS is an incredible, unique exhibit if you are into science, ART and bodies at all! I know several people that have attended, most say BEFORE going to this exhibit that they are squeemish...however, you speak to them AFTER attending and they were so happy they attended, was done extremely well and not at all squeemish!

http://www.scienceworld.bc.ca/

This would be a SHORT taxi ride, wouldn't suggest walking.

Welcome to Canada!

Hello Cruisecat!

There is an exhibit at the Science World in Vanc which ends soon (January ??), not sure when you will be in our part of the world, however, here is the link. BODY WORKS is an incredible, unique exhibit if you are into science, ART and bodies at all! I know several people that have attended, most say BEFORE going to this exhibit that they are squeemish...however, you speak to them AFTER attending and they were so happy they attended, was done extremely well and not at all squeemish!

http://www.scienceworld.bc.ca/

This would be a SHORT taxi ride, wouldn't suggest walking.

Welcome to Canada!

We will be debarking in Vancouver early (relatively) in the am and will be taking Amtrak that evening (6pm) back to Seattle and want to know what to do in that time that gives us the most bang for our time. Any suggestions??? Thanks :)

For the most efficient use of your time and bang for your buck, I'd suggest the hop-on/hop-off trolley. It stops at most of the popular sites, such as Granville Island, Chinatown, Stanley Park, etc. There is a stop right in front of Canada Place and you can buy tickets from the driver. You'd need to store your luggage first. I believe Canada Place still has a short-term baggage check.

The other alternative would be to rent a car and keep your luggage with you. But in that case, I'd suggest you get out of the downtown core -- because parking is horrendous -- and head to Grouse Mountain, Capilano Suspension Bridge (north of Vancouver); or head south and visit the University of British Columbia Museum of Anthropology, Van Dusen Gardesn and/or Queen Elizabeth Park (if you like gardens), or even further to Steveston, a small fishing village-turned tourist attraction with lots of little shops, restaurants and fishing boat area.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to both of you for responding! I'm really torn right now with weather or not do stay in down town and do the trolley or take a Gray Line West tour out to Grouse Mt. and the suspension bridge :o They both sound great and I guess I want to do them both but alas just don't have the time. Maybe I'll just put them both up on the dart board and close my eyes! :D

We are arriving in Vancouver on a Friday afternoon prior to sailing on Saturday. We are at the Holiday Inn Downtown Tower (on Howe Street, I think). We plan to have dinner at Grouse Mountain. Do we need to rent a car for this? About how much should we allow for a round trip taxi fare? Would it be more fun to do the SeaBus and a bus out, and a taxi back? Please and thanks!!

No, you don't need a rental car or a taxi. Just buy a daily ticket and you will have access to the SeaBus, buses, monorail....whatever. It's very easy to get to both Capilano and Grouse Mountain on the public transport system - and it's fun.

No, you don't need a rental car or a taxi. Just buy a daily ticket and you will have access to the SeaBus, buses, monorail....whatever. It's very easy to get to both Capilano and Grouse Mountain on the public transport system - and it's fun.

Thanks! How late does the public transportation system run in the evenings? I suspect we will make it an early night on Friday (as our flight departs at 6:00 a.m. CST).

last bus leaves Grouse Mtn (bottom) on the present schedule at 1232 AM. I'm not schedule savey so that might be different on weekends.

You shud be in bed by then :)

Last sea bus back to Vancouver (Canada Place) 1AM Monday-Sat 11 PM on Sunday

You're welcome, kruisecat.

The bus tour would also be a good option; in that you'll get more info about what you're seeing. Have you looked at other private or small group tours?

I've really just begun my Vancouver segment of this journey :D I wanted to get the Alaska ports nailed down first and now I'm working on pre/post cruise plans. Truthfully I'm exhausted by this process ;) but fully expecting it to be worth every minute (and there have been a ton of them) I'm spending on it.

If you have any suggestions for other private tours I would love to hear them. I've used Gray Line in other places so I know that they are generally good, but if there is something else better I'm all for it!

Archived