Princess Kid's Programs... Alaska!

Wendi&Max

I have heard a lot of complaints about the Princess kid's programs... mainly that they advertise a lot of activities that they don't actually do. So, can anyone tell me how satisfied they were with the programs? Even more specifically I'm interested in hearing about the 3-7 year old group (my son is 5), and Alaska programs (I have read about specialized programs in AK to teach kids about the wildlife/nature there).

I am really, really, really looking forward to our Alaska cruise in May. One of the main reasons I chose Alaska is for my little nature boy - he loves anything and everything about nature/animals/science, etc. I have heard good things about Princess and Alaska specifically, but I don't know much about the kid's stuff on board.

One of my Girl Scouts and her extended family took a Princess AK cruise last summer. I know from talking to her and her older brother (9 and 11 at the time) - they had a great time in the kids program. Among other things that age group did was dissect a squid.

They had two younger cousins with the group - while my scout's mom does not specifically remember anything the younger group did, she indicated that the both the kids and their parents (including her "hypercritical" SIL) had only good things to say.

Sorry I don't have any more specifics. DD accompanied DH and I on two RCCI AK cruises (one when she was 7 the other when she was 9) - we cruised the first week in June both times. We found LOTS to do on-shore that she loved - hiking, glacier treking, dog sledding, etc. She completed the Jr Ranger program at the gold rush historical park in Skagwag.

Wendi&Max do you know how many children will be onboard?? When we went there were very few children, and I think this can make a difference - the first week (I think from memory) there were 20 odd and the second week 12 - the girls actually did more the 2nd week than the first - I must say overall I was just a little bit disappointed - it certainly wasn't as good and they didn't do as much as when we went to Mexico a few years ago (but then there were a lot more children) - having said that the girls (part. the second week) were very happy - and the second week with fewer numbers they had them all in together - the first week the girls were separated and DD who was 8 at the time was the only girl with 3 other boys who only wanted to play video games and their counsellor was definitely "lethargic" in comparison to my other dds (who had just turned 6) - they both completed the junior ranger program which they enjoyed and they did have a ranger go to the kids club and speak to them as we were sailing through Glacier Bay!! Every now and then DH and I look at one another when they sprout a little information about Alaska that we didn't know:D but that they had learnt from the Ranger!!

I am not sure this helps but I can say I wouldn't hesitate and nor would the girls in going to Alaska again with Princess......

Thanks for the reassurance. I sounds as if they take the Alaska programs a little more seriously and plan educational programs pertaining to Alaska which is something I know my son will just LOVE.

I will have to call and find out how many kids are booked for our cruise. Is it best to wait until final payments are due at least to get that info?

He would love the squid dissection thing, and the Junior Ranger program too.

I like the fact that there is a naturalist on board, and that there is a park ranger on board for the Glacier Bay viewing.

Anyone know if my son would be better off with the kid's program on Glacier Bay day or if he should be on deck with me? I don't know if they actually have the kids out there or if they are stuck in the kid's club at that time...

Wendi&Max, I asked my (then) 8 yo and she said they didn't dissect anything onboard - the most she did was one week they built a rollercoaster (??) they weren't taken out onboard for glacier viewing but they have pretty spectacular views from the kids club and a lot was explained to them as they watched. We did take the girls outside but our 6yr old got bored and just wanted to go to the kids club whereas the 8yr old was quite happy to be with us for longer before getting bored with just standing ooing and ahhing!!!:D - they saw numerous seals which they thought was pretty cool - remembering that the glacier viewing goes for many hours - so they also saw from our balcony and we had lunch out on deck as well! Interesting though is the fact I had them both make dvd's of our trip and was surprised at the large number of scenery shots they both included! I had rung re kids numbers a few months before but can't recall - more accurate would be after final payment.

Wendi&Max, I asked my (then) 8 yo and she said they didn't dissect anything onboard - the most she did was one week they built a rollercoaster (??) they weren't taken out onboard for glacier viewing but they have pretty spectacular views from the kids club and a lot was explained to them as they watched. We did take the girls outside but our 6yr old got bored and just wanted to go to the kids club whereas the 8yr old was quite happy to be with us for longer before getting bored with just standing ooing and ahhing!!!:D - they saw numerous seals which they thought was pretty cool - remembering that the glacier viewing goes for many hours - so they also saw from our balcony and we had lunch out on deck as well! Interesting though is the fact I had them both make dvd's of our trip and was surprised at the large number of scenery shots they both included! I had rung re kids numbers a few months before but can't recall - more accurate would be after final payment.

I noticed you went in September. By that time, most schools are in session (Los Angeles schools start the day after Labor Day) so there probably wasn't too many kids onboard, which means a pared down program. If you went a week or two earlier, there would have been more kids.

When we went on our first Princess cruise, it was in February. Our girl was one of only three 5-yr-olds. Not that much going on, besides arts and crafts, movies, etc. Her other Princess cruises were in mid-August (Alaska) and during winter break (Hawaii) and there was a full program.

I noticed you went in September. By that time' date=' most schools are in session (Los Angeles schools start the day after Labor Day) so there probably wasn't too many kids onboard, which means a pared down program. If you went a week or two earlier, there would have been more kids.[/quote'] that's right - that's why I suggested they ring Princess to find out the numbers as I am sure that makes quite a difference! It would have been nicer with a few more kids but couldn't go any earlier because of schooling..... still a trip of a lifetime!

Archived