Cruise suggestion for myself and 14 yr DS

ronkay

Go for the Conquest class or the Liberty. There will be more for your son to do on these ships. I was on the Fascination last week (smaller ship) and I don't think my kids would have had a good a time as they have on the bigger ships (they are now 11 and 14 and have been on all the same cruises as I have, except the Fascination). Not to say he wouldn't have a good time on the smaller ships, it would just be better on the bigger ships.

Many times with my 2 kids by myself, as you can see from the list below. We have loved them all and the kids have had a blast. My biggest recommendation for your son would be go to the meet & greet the first night for his age with Camp Carnival. This Does Not mean he has to do there activities but gives him an opportunity to meet other kids his age to spend time with. My dd was 13 and dd son 7 when we started, they are now 19 & 13. My son still participates in some of the Camp Carnival stuff, but is VERY excited to move to the 13-15 group on our cruise in April. They are as addicted as me, so beware!lol!

We would love to have you join us in April on the Miracle. We have several kids going, atleast 3 boys in that age range! It's the 1st-8th on the Miracle, which get nothing but great reviews! Four great ports and $100 on board credit. Weve also set up some excursions.

You can click on the banner for more info or email me or reply here.

We have a great thread on here as well, just look for the "Mayhem On The Miracle Group Cruise" thrread.

Hope this helped some~

You will really enjoy the cruise & fun with your son!

Happy Cruising!

Donna

Thanks for all of the information and the offer but I am looking at late May, June, July as motivation for him to finish the school year on a good note. He is having his best school year ever and want to do something to motivate him to finish it that way. I have cruised with my GF and now DW a couple of times and thought it would be a great way to spend quality time with my and reward my son.

Living in Jacksonville gives you a lot of options.

If your son will still be 14 when you cruise, then sometimes Camp Carnival sounds a little "childish" ...especially to a boy. You will be given a Caper of his activities for the entire week and he can pick and choose which ones he wants to participate in.

However, if he will be 15 by the time you cruise then Club O2 becomes a whole other set of options.

We just got off the Fantasy and they had a special small "disco" looking room just for the Club O2 kids and with the right director....it can be wonderful.

The Fantasy also had putt putt on it.

If your son will be 15 and you can find a Fantasy class within your driving range that has had the modifications done to it like the Fantasy...that would be a good fit.

However, if your son will still be 14, then I recommend a Spirit class or higher.

I have heard lots of kids sail on the Glory (which I believe goes out of Port Canaveral). It is the Conquest (largest) class.

Personally, our favorite class is the Spirit class ships. You options on that this summer would be the Legend out of Tampa.

My main recommendation would be if you have the choice to sail before or after he turns 15, I would choose after.

I'm including a link to a recent Mini-review I did about our kids sailing with us on the Conquest recently. It got buried back several pages pretty quickly so I think it was likely missed by many people considering cruising with their "slighly older" kids. I hope it will be helpful to you. I whole-heartedly recommend a Conquest-class ship. It's size, I believe, allowed for some great kids programming. My kids LOVED it! good luck in your researching cruises.....it's a *tough* job, isn't it! :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=461822

before i get blasted:o , yes i can read and know poster said Carnival, but if your son is athletic inclined, i'd recommened RCCL Mariner out of Port Canaveral.(very close to you in Jax) Great basketball set up and rollerblading and mini golf, ice skating, rock climbing wall, ect. We cruise both lines(RCCL and Carnival) and enjoy both very much.

before i get blasted:o , yes i can read and know poster said Carnival, but if your son is athletic inclined, i'd recommened RCCL Mariner out of Port Canaveral.(very close to you in Jax) Great basketball set up and rollerblading and mini golf, ice skating, rock climbing wall, ect. We cruise both lines(RCCL and Carnival) and enjoy both very much.

No blasting. I think that RCCL would be a very good fit for such a young man (and I have never even sailed on RCCL before!!) That is a very tough age and the Voyager of the Seas class ships have the upper hand in this area. However, sometimes the price difference can be an issue.

Archived